smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
First off the site is in swedish, sorry, but it's some nice close ups of the GasGas 400 four stroke. The bike looks too sweet, I must have one :p
Ah the e-start, gotta love it.

http://www.mttracing.se/fse400info.htm

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would like see it up close and take a spin. Doesn't it have fuel injection? It looks very nice, but if my calculations are right its weighs 271 pounds? Thats pretty heavy for a new generation four stroke considering the KTM400 comes in a lot less than that.

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
Are they going to sell it in the states as a dual-purpose bike? If so, then 271 lbs is 20 +lbs lighter than the competition.

Pete

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm not sure about the dual sport kit, all GasGas bikes are imported with turn signals etc. if I read correctly, the importers just strip the stuff off.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Are they going to sell it in the states as a dual-purpose bike? If so, th

Proably has better suspension to boot, but at that OTD price you could lighten up the competion and deck it out pretty nicely.

cetris

May 8, 2001
DRZ400 Clone ???

I made the same observation about this motor about 3 or 4 months ago after looking at a pic of it. It just looks SO much like the DRZ motor that it can't be a coincidence. Maybe I am just halucinating? I knew that "flashback" stuff would come back to haunt me someday! ;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
What is the little cap in front of the gas tank??

DRZ clone, get real.:think

The weight issue will be interesting?? Things on the US version are suppose to make it a little lighter than the euro versions.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by justql
What is the little cap in front of the gas tank??
the in frame oil resevoir, there's a check window on the front of the frame tube that kind of worries me, if you kick up a rock and bust it out you'd have instant oil leak.

DRZ clone, get real.:think
I don't think it resembles the DRZ motor, take a look at this image from the SMS site:
4sleft.gif

they've changed it a bit, if anything the motor in the bike looks like a yamaha motor :scream:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
The engine in the pictures posted origianlly, look almost exactly like a DRZ engine. The cyclinders look exactly the same. Look at the right side of the gas gas engine and look at the right side of a DRZ engine. The cylinder and case are awfully similar. I'm not saying GG is cloning Suz. design, but that those pics are VERY similar. I'm at work and can't post any pics of my DRZ's engine, but I'll try to remember when I get home.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
yea I see it a lil, went to suzukicycles.com
but then again, the KLX motor looks like that too, I think it's just a four stroke thing :think
although GasGas has copied the kawasaki perimeter frame, and supposedly the 250 engines are a close copy of the Honda CR250 engine, so maybe they did use some of the design features.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
i nowhere saw a weight indication

I can't seem to find the link, but after I saw the pictures I wanted more info on it and did a search on Gas Gas fse400 and found a site that listed it at it was not in english, but from the looks of it listed it @ 179Kg. Coverted to lbs. that 271 if my math is right.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Does the weight include the heavier battery, a kickstarter, and DOT approved tires? All these things add weight. While it will still probably be heavier than most four strokes if it handles anything like the 2 stokes the weight might not be that big af a deal.

The biggest thing I'd be concerned is the importer and the lack of "national " support. If it weren't for great dealers like Smackover GasGas bikes would've never made it here.

henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
kilogram to pounds converts bij 0,45359237. My XR400 has 118 kgs dry weight or about 258 lbs according to the US Honda website.
The mentioned 179 kgs does not seem real. 271 lbs would convert to 123 kgs; still heavy even with the e-start it has according to a swedish site.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I don't mind the weight, my GasGas isn't much lighter than my KDX was. THe bike is solidly built, perfect for those of us who think that lightweight materials have no place on a dirtbike :confused:

rm burn

Dec 27, 2000
there's one at my local dealership in kelowna b.c ,it's $9500 cdn and it's not sold yet for any of you interested. it look's very sharp! but does feel a little heavy, barry rode it and said it was very smooth and electric feeling but also deceptively fast, oh yeah it's also street legal!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom