Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ford Motor Company announced that they are discontinuing the Excursion line of trucks.
There will be no layoff of workers due to this discontinuation. The assembly lines used to build the truck are within the facility that now makes the Super Duty line of trucks in Louisville, and they will be used to help keep up with the demand of the ever popular pick-up.
The Excursion lines will continue to run the 2003 models. No more after July '03.

On a personal note, I almost soiled myself when I first heard the news. I provide lubrication and conveyor service for all of the Excursion lines and thought it would effect me in a negative way. However when I heard that it will actually mean more business for me, my scared frown turned into a big smile. :)
Buy Ford's folks! lol.... :aj:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
That surprises me. Must not have the sales, I guess. I'd have thought they'd be popular since it's the only truck in that class (the class is only Suburban/Yukon XL/Excursion, IMO) with a diesel.

Glad it means more buisness for you, Jay.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wow... bummer. Ever seen a lifted, maxed-out Excursion? :p

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I haven't seen one yet but I have seen a lifted F350 SD crew cab :scream: . It's not that much of a leap of the imagination to ad the rest of the body though! I just sort of shook my head and thought if he had left it stock he could have put all that moolah into a couple of bikes and a trailer. ;)

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Don't know if it's true or not, but supposedly they caved in to the enviromentalists/anti-SUV groups. If that is the case, then I'm really disappointed in Ford. They screwed the majority by trying to appease the minority. :|

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Look similar to this F-550 :scream:

Attachments

• proj-f550-1.jpg
    proj-f550-1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 275

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Jaybird : Yeah a couple of my friends that ride work /worked down here in the Edison NJ plant on the line and they laid everybody off . So he hwent back to being a dealer mechanic. But he cant ride much because things are a bit tighter now . $$$$???

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The reason for the discontinuation is poor sales. Ford did not cave to the greens, the consumers apparently have. If orders are slow, you just gotta cut your losses at some point. Besides, they have an existing order bank for Super Duty's of 100,000 units!
For the money of an Excursion you can have a nice F350 and a trailer.
Rumor at the plant today is that they will retool and make the Harley Davidson Super Duty on the vacant lines. Who knows though... Detroit makes some squirrely decisions sometimes.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
If I had 30 grand I'd buy me a superduty. But I don't so I won't. I am a Ford man through and through. Thats surprising that they dropped the excursion. I kinda liked it :(

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Wow... bummer. Ever seen a lifted, maxed-out Excursion? :p

blk_ford_excur_flag.htm

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I dig the first one :)
He/she has the back-up lights I want :(. I can't see a damn thing out the back of mine.

And what about the 350? Same thing as a 250 with the extreme service suspension (heavier leaf springs and blocks)? I got the plow package with is close to the same thing... note stock ride level front/height in the pic link
sidea.jpg

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
The Excursion died because it couldn't fight the Suburban. I by no means want to get into any Ford vs. Chevy/GM dispute, but with respect to this one type of vehicle (full sized SUVs) the Chevy/GM won.

The Excursion did not hold more cargo, have a higher towing capacity or carry more people than a Suburban. It was, however, wider, longer, taller, heavier, slower, thirstier, creakier and harder to stop than the Suburban. I looked at both of them (with an open mind), and the Suburban won hands down. If diesels alone would have justified production, GM would certainly offer it in the Suburban (they used to).

That said, raised Excursions do look pretty tough.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Where's the DRN logo Okie?
True about the Suburbans. Not all of them though. Here at Idaho State (where I work/go to school) we have a whole bunch of 96-97 suburbans. They are so gutless it's not even funny. I was so unimpressed. The older Suburbans, mid 80's have much more.Besides that, who wants an suv with that horrible name on it.Che** Just kidding, don't want to start a war here.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I think the Excursion was a little late for the times. If they would have brought it out a five more years prior, they would have done fine. They hit the end of the SUV war and the greenies were just getting warmend up. I'm not much of a Ford fan but, a lifted 250 or 350 really looks nice. I've tried to get this to fit onto a license plate frame or bumper sticker but haven't been able to, "You may not drive a Chevy but if it's a Ford or Dodge, at least it's American!"

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
You may not drive a Chevy but if it's a Ford or Dodge, at least it's American!"

Very well put, I will buy any american car or truck before i buy a foreign car. Except for those stupid looking lo-riders, it should be illegal to do that to an american car.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I am the proud owner of a 2002 Limited Ultimate Excursion with a PSD. I can honestly say that the 'X' rides better than my '02 FX4 Ranger. As for gas guzzling, I got 17-18mpg at 80mph on a recent road trip. I am sad that FORD is discontinuing the line because it is a gorgeous truck and loaded to the hilt. Where I live I will see one or two 'X's every day, mine not included. And I am not afraid to start a Ford vs Chevy war. In appearance tbe 'X' looks better than the SUB and yes the new Chevy develops more HP and torque, but at 2100rpm where the PSD made it's max torque at 1600rpm. Based on what I have experienced towing a 7x16 enclosed you need the power at lower speeds. FOREVER FORD!!

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
GET RID OF SUVs LOL We just got a conversion van a GMC Savanna and well it tows 8 grand and a 6'3" person can lay flat in the back seat.

We call it the SuburVan.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I'm glad they got rid of them. The last thing we need is more giant SUV's (or any size SUV) on the road full of mom's taking their kids to soccer practice, that have no idea how to drive something that big.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
The Excursion left me -w- mixed emotions since the first time i saw one.
At first sight, i thought "too kewl! A real beast of a vehicle".
Then once the "newness" wore off, i thought "WHY???"
The Expedition (which replaced our beloved Bronco's....grrrrrr) is probably close in the interior room dept., and other than towing capacity the Excursion doesnt seem to have much up on its little brother.
Besides, -w- 5th wheel trailers becoming more and more popular, a crew cab 250 or 350 is the only way to go anyhow.
And what's silly is that when i see them over here in oilfield country,
(they sell very well here by the way) it's always some rich lady toting "junior" to a soccer or baseball game.
(you REALLY need that one ton chassis to haul "junior"?????) :think:
But still, all in all wether you like em or hate em, it SHOULD be up to the consumer, the people of this country wether this vehicle should continue to be built or not. (ie: if the demand is there)
It should NOT be up to some silly self righeous moronic group like the "sierra club" to tell the population that "no you cant have a vehicle like that, you nasty bad polluting meanies"!

PS: from me to you sierra clubbers....blow it out yer @$$!!!!! :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom