wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well, the 86'cr had no compression so i pulled the head and cylinder to find that the piston which took two rings only had one on it and the on that was on it was stuck pushed in. i cleaned every thing up to also find that rod can move from side to side!!!!! this was probally the knocking noise i could hear when i tried to crank it over. But my question is right now as i look at the rod I see two spacers which have some clearance which is why the rod can move, but can i just buy a crank rebuild instead of buying a whole new crankshaft? and if so can some one help to decribe on how to take apart the crank shaft? :ohmy:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The rod is supposed to be able to move side to side but there isn't supposed to be any up and down play. Are there any metal shavings anywhere?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
It should move side to side but not be excessive, if the piston has 2 rings that means it's been bored at least .40 over by now I know cause when I had to bore mine from .20 it went from a single ring to a daul setup max over bore is .80 over. Check wiseco out for a crank rebuild kit also but first get like a manual so you can check the specs to see if it's still within spec.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wait, so did you buy the CR or are you just looking at it? I thought there was a KX in the picture. The rod is supposed to move side to side a little. What condition is the KX in?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i own the cr and the kx the cr doesn't have the other ring in the case and there are no shavings. the tranny and clutch work good, i just wasn't sure if the rod should move side to side alittle. the kx i got for free cuase the kid couldn't get it running and wanted to throw it away. its mint!! the cr was $300,.

Top Bottom