Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone else get this problem? After riding for a half hour or so, my fingers get tingly, then become numb if I don't stop. I'm a mechanic, so working with air tools all day probably doesn't help. I wear good riding gloves, but still have the problem. Any ideas?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Could be that you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. If the following explanation of it sounds like you then do an internet search for it on http://www.infoseek.com and you'll see various treatment therapies available including magnets, wrist braces (to let the agitated area rest), etc.
>
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a painful and sometimes disabling condition involving the compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel, a rigid compartment formed by the carpal bones of the hand at the base of the palm. The tunnel is bounded on the top by a sheath-like or fibrous structure called the flexor retinaculum and the transverse carpel ligament. The tunnel itself is approximately the diameter of the index finger and must accommodate the passage of nine flexor tendons, the median nerve, arteries and lymphatic vessels. Normally, these structures glide past each other to provide function to the fingers and wrist.

What are the Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

The condition usually comes on gradually, with a vague aching of the wrist, and some times above and below the wrist. There may also be a tingling into the area supplied by the median verve. This includes the thumb, the first two fingers and half of the third finger. If the condition is not resolved the long-term effects can be permanent nerve damage resulting in numbness and weakness in the hand with atrophy or wasting of the muscles below the wrist.

The patient may initially experience the symptoms during sleeping hours when fluid builds up while the hand is resting causing pressure on the nerve. Flexed wrist postures while sleeping will also bring on the symptoms. As the condition worsens the symptoms are likely to occur during the day. At this point there could be permanent nerve damage and a buildup of scar tissue around the nerve.

What are the Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

The condition is caused by anything that increases pressure on the median nerve as it passes through the tunnel. As a work-related disorder CTS is the most common form of repetitive strain injury (RSI) otherwise known as cumulative trauma disorder (CTD) and is usually brought on by repetitive specialized movements involving excessive forces. The work may require awkward postures particularly flexion and extension of the wrist.

A key factor is the lack of sufficient rest periods to allow for a sufficient recovery of the muscles and tendons. The prolonged static contraction of the forearm muscles constricts the small blood vessels thereby inhibiting blood flow. The result is the destruction of tissue and the infiltration of inflammatory substances into the area. There is then a concomitant increase in fluid pressure and a resultant decrease in blood flow to the nerve. The effect is a recurrent injury to the nerve.

Women tend to have a higher incidence than men possibly due to the fact that they have smaller carpel bones and a resulting decreased tunnel space. Women also tend to have a tendency toward tissue fluid build-up due to fluctuations in hormone levels. The condition is also associated with certain medical conditions such as wrist fractures and other traumas, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, hypothyroidism, pregnancy, obesity and sarcoidosis.

How is Carpel Tunnel Syndrome Prevented and Treated?

Conventional treatments include anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections, heat and cold therapy, wrist splints (during sleeping and waking hours), ultrasound therapy, stretching and strengthening exercises. When symptoms persist surgery is usually considered especially when atrophy is evident and there is persistent loss of sensation.

Prevention is most desirable before the problem begins. Activities involving repetitious hand movements done with significant force or awkward postures including vibrating and impact tools should not be performed more than two to four hours. Preventative measures include vitamin B6 (not over 100 mgs per day) for those who have a propensity for developing edema. Workers should take frequent planned breaks for rest and stretching exercises. They should use ergonomically designed tools and split-keyboards that maintain neutral hand posture.

rvguy

May 31, 2002
I've had this same problem for years. Here's what I do to prevent it.
About an hour before I ride, I'll eat 2 bananas, sounds corney but the potassium helps reduce muscle fatigue. I'll stretch all the muscles in the palm side of my hand about a half hour before and right after a ride.
When you're riding, you hold on pretty tight and don't realize it. It's not like holding onto your favorite brew. Contracting all of these muscles for a period of time might block or pinch off blood vessels in the hand causing your fingers to fall asleep. (kinda like being sick and sitting on the toilet for an hour, your legs fall asleep from the butt down...then when you try to walk you just fall to the floor causing the guy that lives below you to come up stairs to see what the problem is but you can't get to the door cause you can't walk yet so he calls 911 and tells them you've fallen but you can't get up.......how embarrasing is that?)
Anyway, give that a try. And when you are riding loosen up on the grips if you have the chance. Let some blood flow. See how that works for you.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
I have had the same problem and changing your grips could also help. Try riding w/ thicker grips, this should help a little. You may want to check out a steering stabilizer also, this will reduce head shake and arm fatigue plus it will improve overall handling on the bike. I'm looking into buying a Scotts Steering Damper which I have read alot of great things about..... ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I went to the Dr. and got braces for my wrists. I wear them every night while I sleep and that has helped it some. I still get numb fingers but not as bad or as much as before. So the braces must rest the nevers somewhat. At least it is keeping it from getting worse.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Well there are a few things you can do.

First get some vibration inserts for the bar ends. Or switch to a Protaper bar with those inserts. Also check the tripple clamps where they mount the bars. There should be 4 cone shaped rubber bushings. are they still there? Those are there to help vibration get to the bars. You may want to replace those.

For riding, grip the bike with your knees, not death grip the bars. That will help the most.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Back when I rode as a teenager (1978-1983) I never experienced numb hands, and I rode for hours on end. Didn't ride for about 19 years, and now getting back into it and experienced very numb hands within an hour of riding.

Other than the numb hands riding dirt bikes, I've never experienced carpal tunnel symtoms. I am on a keyboard 8-10 hours a day (software developer), and have been doing it for the past 14 years, so I was surprised that I didn't experience it before riding dirt bikes again.

I suspect part of it may have been due to a death grip (still getting my dirt legs back), and some new Thor gloves that I think are too small. I rode with another guy who doesn't wear gloves at all to prevent the numbing. Says it works for him. I am going to try looser gloves and gripping the bike more with my legs next time. It really sucks because once you are numb up to above the wrist, your clutch/brake/throttle motor skills are shot.

I can't use those damping bar ends (have bark busters), but I did
fill my handlebars with that expanding foam sealant as a preventative (based on other's advice here). I don't think that it made any difference though.

My KDX has rubber handlebar mounts, so I was surprised that it didn't appear to help.

- Bill

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i agree w Matt,smit. RELAX have fun tape a note to the bar pad if u have too i bet that is most of it.chk the stuff others have mentioned,fill the bars w silicone it stays rubbery and seems to help.my hands never do that and the only time i feel arm pump is when i tense up ....RELAX crappy grips will ad to the prob.good luck

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
With regard to adding foam to the inside of your handle bar, make sure you get the right one. I've seen two types. The regular spray foam that you use to seal leaks around the house, deck etc... dries hard. I can't imagine that it would actually help any. The other foam is used to go around window frames stays soft when it dries. Like gooby mentioned get a good set of grips, they have them with soft pads in the palm.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
You can make your own bar inserts for a couple of bucks. Go to sporting goods store and get 2-3 lbs of lead. Wad paper into your bars about 4 inches and melt and pour the lead in leaving room for bark busters if you use them. Lead melts at a very low temp so you can do it with a propane tourch and a soup ladel. I have done this many times and it works wonders.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
I get a little numbnest in the first hour. If i take a nice break, relax, then ride some more, It Goes away for me... But do what everybody has said cause there all very good points. Find what works well for you, everybody is different!!! I have just started learning in my mid age(30) how to deal with this problem and i find that eating right,drinking right and stretching right are very important more then ever right now...

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Mike H is right on. I know how much the idea of adding weight to your bike hurts, but lead really works. Imo, foam, rubber inserts, silicone, etc... don't have nearly the damping properties of lead.

I did exactly what Mike described with my stock bars but only used 8 onces in each end. These worked great but I "had" to have aluminum bars. Well, I got some Tag X-5s and these cost me at least 1 lap in the first Hare Scramble in which I used them. They completely wore me out.

Handlebar aluminum is harder/stiffer than steel and transmits more vibration. My Tags are now completely filled with bird shot with rags in either end (About 1 3/4 pounds, Renthals will require more because they have thinner walls). I haven't decided yet whether to melt this or leave it. The difference is dramatic, you'll notice it as soon as you start the bike.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Great tip regarding melting lead in the bars. Sounds like it really makes a difference. I swapped out my stock KDX bars for Renthals before really riding the bike, so I didn't realize that there could be such a vibration difference between the two types.

I will have to drill out some of the foam sealant and replace w/ lead. I imagine that having the lead nearest the bar ends is the most effective.

Thanks for the tip guys!

- Bill

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I kept my older KX recently when I bought the KDX and on a trip to Utah I rode the same trails with both bikes just to compare. [Glad I kept the "old" KX !!] I can ride the KX all day long on the nastiest and/or fastest trails and be ready for the evening ride. Riding the KDX is a completely different story -- by noon my arms and hands are toast. The bike is exhausting to ride !!! Every rock is felt in the grips, The front end will wash out without warning and riding in sand [of which Utah has lots of] is like wrestling a 500 lb gorilla. This would eventually destroy more than your hands. The stock suspension on these is JUNK. I've gotten a bit stiffer springs and Gold Valves are in the mail from Fredette. The rear shock is also being revalved. If all of this doesn't work, there will be a nice 220 for sale. To be fair, I really do like the [KDX] engine and I did revalve the KX for trails

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Progrips makes two (at least) different softness levels of compound for their gel-grips. Black=firm, gray=soft .....I think.

With a combination of good gloves, good grips, SOFT hands (the no-death-grip thing) the kdx is a smoothie.

How about your bar isolators? Are your bottom bar studs cranked down to 100ft.lbs? Maybe squeezed all the schmush out of 'em?

My riding buddy's bike vibrates like a ..well, like something real bad!! As bad as a KTM!!

Oh...it IS a ktm. Guess THAT answers THAT;)

jc

Sep 22, 2001
My dad had this problem big time. We tried everything. What worked for us was a combo of things- good gel gloves that are not too tight, flex. wrist guards (both from medical sup. shop) and the biggest help was a larger dia. road bike grip. Scott makes a pair and my dad swore by them. Cheap fix too if it works for you. good luck. jc

Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
Wow, thanks for all the tips guys! I am actually selling the bike on Friday, but am keeping my quad, so I'll try out some of these ideas on it. Thanks again for the help.
Kevin

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Quad!!!! :scream: Keeping the Quad!!!!! :scream: Oh my! :moon:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Ok,ok. Keep the quad. But if we come up behind you on a trail, will you please pull over? And no fish tailin' - I hate that! :D

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
Rvguy has a good idea
It works for me too, or take a magnesuim tablette. I suffer from gout big time and when ridding hard, the body produces lactic acid which cause all kinds of trouble.My hands cramped to the bars so hard once that my ridding partner had to peel them off.
Good luck............as for the "dust maker", please let kdxtaz and myself past :)

Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
No problems guys! I never like to hold up traffic! I will be back soon with another bike though, just gotta pay off the 4wheeler first!
Kevin

Top Bottom