KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
This is good. I would be more than happy to register my bike if there were one riding area or a few trails to ride on in NY. Registering your bike is a good way of showing the state how many bikers there are. But I won't do anything until I see a trail system opened.

FIVE-HUNGE

Sep 28, 2005
I'm fed up with the registration fee's here in Ma. I see thousands of registered atv's and bikes here. But all we ever get back is trespassing fines, more land closures and hassle from EPO's who track and chase us down like hard criminals with thier latest high tech gps and computerized equipment.
wonder who pays for all that stuff ?? I'm sick and tired of spending all my hard earned money trying to do the right thing, join clubs, ama, town meetings, ect. and all we get is a bad wrap and more shutdowns and lies. $ 40 for a 2 yr registration - what good is it ???
Sorry guy's, just had to vent....
don't believe everything your officials tell you.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
KDXruss said:
This is good. I would be more than happy to register my bike if there were one riding area or a few trails to ride on in NY. Registering your bike is a good way of showing the state how many bikers there are. But I won't do anything until I see a trail system opened.
Now there is a Large Parcel of Public Land about 30min. from me, that is open to riding. As long as your bike is reg. & Insured, NO PROBLEM. DEC patrols the property on Quads and DO NOT GIVE a hard time (Most of them ride Rec. ALSO)
Its Located next to Stewart Airport aka:Stewart Air Force Base, Newburgh, NY
FYI

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
Some local shop owner here in Vt. told me that the state parks like Beartown etc. that allow bikes are thinking of banning. Is this true? Totally pissed as we have families that we would like to bring along to camp out so my brother-in-law and I can ride. FIVE-HUNGE. Have you any info on this?

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Green Hornet said:
Now there is a Large Parcel of Public Land about 30min. from me, that is open to riding. As long as your bike is reg. & Insured, NO PROBLEM. DEC patrols the property on Quads and DO NOT GIVE a hard time (Most of them ride Rec. ALSO)
Its Located next to Stewart Airport aka:Stewart Air Force Base, Newburgh, NY
FYI
Sounds like they are very relaxed about riding there.
There is plenty of state forest land around my area but It's all ski and hiking trails. There is always a sign 'no motor vehicles'.
Correct me if I'm wrong but out of the entire Adirondack park there isn't one mile of trail for ATVs or bikes!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
KDXruss said:
Sounds like they are very relaxed about riding there.
There is plenty of state forest land around my area but It's all ski and hiking trails. There is always a sign 'no motor vehicles'.
Correct me if I'm wrong but out of the entire Adirondack park there isn't one mile of trail for ATVs or bikes!
Correct NADA, NOTHING, NYNE in the Appalachian Park system (thats me), but Adirondack park system, I do believe they have a system set up.
NYKDXer would be able to answer that one. He does go up there and ride the state trails legally

1swarty

Nov 29, 2003
In New York State there are very few public riding area's. In northern NY there are ATV trails that allow bikes but I am not sure exactly where. There are private areas that allow camping and riding for a fee. Take a look at the Trailpass web site http://northeast.trailpass.com. The best trails are in Western PA in the Allegheny National Forest, they have about 100 miles of trail and allow camping, there is a trail fee. They do allow riding in Beartown St Pk in Mass but they will not let you ride with anything but a Mass plate, I had NY plate, valid ins and still not allowed. They check everyone in the parking lot. I just pulled the Mass tag off my buddies 4 wheeler and I was good to go. Great trails and worth the effort.
As for registering your bikes.In NY is illegal to ride a atv or motorcycle off of your own property without a registration and insurance. There are semi legal riding areas in upstate NY which has a fairly regular DEC presense and the ticket for no Reg/ins will cost you big $$$

Swarty

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
1swarty said:
In New York State there are very few public riding area's. In northern NY there are ATV trails that allow bikes but I am not sure exactly where. There are private areas that allow camping and riding for a fee. Take a look at the Trailpass web site http://northeast.trailpass.com. The best trails are in Western PA in the Allegheny National Forest, they have about 100 miles of trail and allow camping, there is a trail fee. They do allow riding in Beartown St Pk in Mass but they will not let you ride with anything but a Mass plate, I had NY plate, valid ins and still not allowed. They check everyone in the parking lot. I just pulled the Mass tag off my buddies 4 wheeler and I was good to go. Great trails and worth the effort.
As for registering your bikes.In NY is illegal to ride a atv or motorcycle off of your own property without a registration and insurance. There are semi legal riding areas in upstate NY which has a fairly regular DEC presense and the ticket for no Reg/ins will cost you big $$$

Swarty
Lucky for me I belong to a club that owns private land and do not have to worry about getting tickets from the DEC.
I'm aware of the trail pass system and it's not enough to get me to register.
What I would like to see is a system that allows you to ride long distances on a motorcycle only trail. Ride into town for gas and food, maybe camp out and ride back. I can ride short loops all day at my club for much less $ than joining trail pass.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom