Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I read a thread on here a while back about O-Ring chains not fitting on the 02-04 YZ 125's. The chain is too thick and rubs a groove into the sidecases behind the countershaft sprocket. I never really worried about it, my cases had a small groove worn in it, but no big deal. Well, I won an X-Ring chain and went to put it on, and it doesnt even fit. It is just that much bigger I guess. How do I fix this???
Thanks

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You need to make a countershaft spacer out of some sheet metal. I also believe that there are spacers that you can buy from most MX magazines.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yes, it will throw your alignment out of whack.
Many folks have used a small washer or spacer to jack out the countershaft sprocket. This works, but make certain you are aligned as good as you can be when you do this. You will comprimise some chain life if you are out of alignment even a little, so weigh out if this is really what you want to do. The procedure makes me cringe, but lots of folks apparently do it.
A ring chain is great for use when it's completely sloppy, but for most riding a standard chain is fine.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
thanks Jay, I've been thinkin about this for a while now and I just can't do it. The X-ring chain is quite a bit too big and the allignment would be WAY off. I guess it's back to Renthal Heavy Duty for me.
Thanks again

Top Bottom