Oh my aching butt......Mtn bike seats!!!!

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Just started to ride my mtn bike to get in better shape, well OK, get some where close to being in shape :) The dang seat si killing my butt, I have padded riding shorts and that just isn't doing it. Should I get a gel seat cover, larger seat??? It's making me NOT want to ride.

Also any tips on "how to" I live in fairly hilly country and can only road ride. Should I focus on mileage or time riding, I know both a relative.

Thanks
vetwfo'er

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Go to a reputable bike shop and see what they have for seat selection. When you find a seat that you`ll think you`ll be satified with ask what the store`s return policy is on seats. Your better shops willusually give you a couple of weeks to return it if you don`t like it.
The gell seat covers are more of a pain than they`re worth and usually don`t fit right. Also try different adjustments(move it forward,back,tilt up,down). I find that the more I ride the more I get used to it.

Steve

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Specialized makes two good "butt specific " seats. these came out about 2/3 years ago. they are designed so that you sit on your butt bones. They work great!! I rode plenty with one of those typical skinny bike seats. Went down to get a new one and grabbed a cheap $17 closeout. The "new" seats had just come out and were selling for $55 to $99! What!! i don't need that!! For what ever reason the $17 didn't fit my butt and i got some nerve damage in in my thigh. It caused a pain that ran from my knee into my gut!! I had to stop riding my mtb and in fact got me back on the dirtbike cause of the better seat. It took about a year to go away but i can still feel it sometimes. I was lucky, sometimes the seat can screw up the jewels in a major way!! This happens with pro roadbike racers. If i bought the $55 seat it probably never would have happened. My advice is to go get the $99 one. Your ass and all those nerves that come out the end of your spine are worth it.!! there are actually alot of seats out there modeled on the original specialized.

Wideratio

Apr 11, 2002
Try keeping the front of your seat about 3/4" or 1" lower than the top of your post. It works great for me......keeps you cheeks on the seat instead of your taint.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom