oil blowing out normal for 2 stroke???

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
For a 2-stroke that is in poor running condition, yes it is normal.

Some things you'll want to check are:

1. The packing in your silencer. Re-pack it;
2. Your airfilter (clean it); and
3. Your jetting. You are more than likely too rich. Start by raising the clip on the needle one position.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
It could also be a sign that you have a crank seal going bad, sucking in tranny oil and creating a bunch of spooge out of the pipe.

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
larosche said:
You might be mixing the oil too rich. Try 40:1 for non synthetic. Use 50:1 for synthetic.
I get so tired of hearing that myth being tossed around like it's the gospel. Changing oil ratios is almost never the correct fix for a spooge problem. In many cases, less oil will make the spooge worse , because it will make the jetting slightly richer. If you have a problem with excessive spooge, then at least one of your carb circuits is too rich.

It could also be a sign that you have a crank seal going bad, sucking in tranny oil
That's possible, but it also has a few symptoms of it's own. First, you will lose tranny oil. If the seal is leaking enough oil through it to create a substantial spooge problem, then the tranny oil level will slowly go down as the engine sucks it in. And a badly leaking crank seal will not just leak oil, it will also leak air into the engine. With the combination of the oil and the air coming through the seal, you'll almost certainly notice that your jetting seems to be getting a bit eccentric lately...

Also, the most common tranny lubes (engine oil, gear lube, ATF) don't smell anything like premix oil. In most cases, they have a harsh, acrid smell that is a pretty good indicator that the engine is burning something besides premix oil. Of course, that isn't fool-proof, as there are certainly a few pre-mix oils out there that don't smell very good either... ;)

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
larosche said:
You might be mixing the oil too rich. Try 40:1 for non synthetic. Use 50:1 for synthetic.

Hey chief, 50:1 is a richer mixture (air:fuel) than 32:1. Less oil in the fuel:oil ratio doesn't necessarily mean less oil in the exhaust, it just means less protection.

crazy3rdgen

May 10, 2006
Yeah I usually mix around 20:1-22:1, What I did was I pulled the fmf exhaust off because I thought it was clogged , well when I started the bike the side of the bike was all black and gross. It's not too bad when the muffler is on but still gets messy where the muffler meets the big horn looking thing lol.

3. Your jetting. You are more than likely too rich. Start by raising the clip on the needle one position.

How should I do this? I had my carb apart checking things out to get more fimiliar with parts and everything. So please give me alittle more detail

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
crazy3rdgen said:
How should I do this? I had my carb apart checking things out to get more fimiliar with parts and everything. So please give me alittle more detail

The needle is the, well, needle looking thing under the carb cap. Remove the cable from the needle housing (usually requires a push and a twist - hold on because it's spring loaded) and raise the "c" clip up one position.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Are the stock positions written in a service manual?

crazy3rdgen

May 10, 2006
So I start by turning off the fuel, pulling the carburetor, unscrewing the bowl on the very bottom, and looking somewhere on the underside of the carb? I also have a problem with idle. The bike wont idle no matter if the screw is turned all the way clockwise or counter clockwise... this is a pita but i'll try my best

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
If you run 20:1 (as old Kawasakis recommended) then indeed you are running gas lean and oil rich. However the bike cannot burn the oil and it will leak out the exhaust.

Just remember to separate the problems. Gas rich or oil rich. Gas rich can be checked by the spark plug. Oil rich will have a nice brown plug, but may still have junk coming out the tailpipe.

crazy3rdgen

May 10, 2006
Welp, I wonder what the proper fuel mix for this bike is.. 98 cr125 cause that may be the only problem then right there.. I think ? besides the idle...

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
32:1 is my standard. Use good fuel with good oil plus good jetting and you should obtain good results :laugh:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Read the sticky about jetting at the top of this 2-stroke forum. Basically jetting is what adjusts your fuel/air mixture. You know that this is performed by the carburator right? Appropriate jetting will give your bike better performance. If jetting is lean (too much air for not enough fuel), the bike will not perform very well. This is the same thing if jetting is too rich (too much fuel for not enough air). Too rich jetting may be one of your problems BTW. I believe the perfect ratio (if you want some numbers) is 12.5 air:1 fuel if I am not mistaken.

Good fuel is some fresh gas as close to 98 octane I believe. I use pump fuel with a bit of octane booster. Some of my friends use plane (the things that fly, not plain) gas which I find too dry for mx (I used some for observed trials) and others use racing fuels such as VP which require rejetting your bike. Rich had clearly explained the whole fuel theory or so on another thread. You could do a search to try and find it. Here's a couple of them but seems to me there is another one: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/search.php?searchid=506004

Finally, good oil adequatly lubricates your engine. You cannot use 2 $ oil cans written STIHL or JONSERED lol. You must use some good quality oil made especially for motorcycles or high rev engines. Good oil should cost you about 10 $ and up per litre. I have tried ipone, elf, amsoil, and others which I can't remember. The one I prefered was the ipone samourai although it is much too expensive. I now run on elf. Synthetic is better than non synthetic but is also more expensive; you make the call.

Finally, for jetting and carburator adjustments, I'd give it to mechanics. It is sometimes a lot of pain to figure out the right jetting and everything (trial and error, trial and error, and on and on...). You may spend enormous time and money and may end up at the same place where you started (I've done this lots of times personally). The only thing it gives you is knowledge which is a great thing for me because I love to learn new stuff and do things on my own. Sometimes, however, one gets fed up and wants the job done! That's also your call. As Rich said, "you may choose to take fish from someone else or learn how to fish" or something like it anyway.

Hope this helps! Feel comfortable to ask questions

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
I have the same issue as the OP. What I have observed also is that my bills pipe seems sort of crooked. The right side doesn't go in all the way while the left part goes into the cylinder all the way. For the first few rides I didn't get this spooge but then I got it. I think bad quality gas can be part of the problem. I left 91 oct. premixed sitting for a couple weeks.

chalie

Apr 13, 2005
My kx 250 (all stock) had the worst spooge ever! it was new last year and i put up with it until this year. The spooge would turn my swing arm and rear brake into an oil soaked hard to clean mess.(to say the least) But I’m still on the stock plug (seriously!) and it's never fowled! (It's a nice brown) Not to mention the back brake was super soft due to all the oil on it all the time despite the heavy degreasing between rides.

Last week I raised the main needle one spot (to the top groove), turned my air screw out 2 1/2 out from the stock 1-1/2 (because Kawis usually come very rich on the pilot) and pulled my packing for the last 2 rides to get instant feedback on the spooge without it leeching out old spooge from the soaked fiberglass. (i usually just ride open trails to woods trails)
Well the spooge is all gone and i couldn't be happier! I'm putting the packing back in this week and hopefully it wasn't just some fluke weather that kept the spooge away.
If your bike is all stock I’m sure it should be pretty easy to adjust without pulling jets. Once you start to put aftermarket bolt-ons, and/or do engine work, I’m sure you may have to use a much more difficult approach to your jetting.

Hope this experience helps and good luck. :cool:

Charlie
P.S. Dont lean out your oil to fuel ratio further than 40:1 with even a high end oil. Especially with a 125. They always rev high and need lots of oil to... well the short of it is to keep you from replacing your engine. Good luck!

Last edited:

quintwatson

Jan 22, 2006
trial_07 said:
As Rich said, "you may choose to take fish from someone else or learn how to fish" or something like it anyway.
Not to step on Rich's toes, but I think it goes "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever."

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
Happy to say, I got my pipe in a little better but not all the way, changed to higher quality fuel and the spooge is gone! Last 3 rides have yielded 0 spooge.

Top Bottom