Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would run the 10w40 because most 10w30s contain friction modifiers that may make your clutch slip.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
10w-30 can be used but it is recommended for cooler temps. The manual says 10w-30 can be used up to 86 degrees F. 10w-40 up to 104 degrees. I'm not postitive but I think I've heard that synthetic oils are not recommended for the tranny.

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
So regular car motor oil can be used in the tranny??
Also, wehre the shifter shaft enters the engine on the left side, a little oil leaks from there. Any ways to stop the leak>?

KI4CPE

Mar 14, 2005
Some people will tell you that it doesn't matter if you run auto oil, but I would reccomend that you stay away from oil that doesn't state that it is safe for wet clutch systems in big bold letters. Think of all the things we do to extract every drop of power we can get from our engines; You wouldn't want to loose any of that to a slipping clutch... R. Shane

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
I've had a '88,'90,'94, and a '98 KDX and ran valvoline 10w40 in them all with no problems. I currently have a '04 and I'm running motul 10w40. I agree to stay away from synthetic oils. They will eventually cause slippage. As far as the leak in the shift shaft seal: Order one from the dealer, another option is to order one from a company like Motion Industries, they are usually half the price. Drain the oil and lay the bike over on it's side with the shifter on the upper side. Remove the shifter with an 8 or 10 mm wrench,{ I forget which} use a small flat screw driver, awl or sharp instrument of your choice, and carefully pry the old seal out. Find a deep well socket that is slightly smaller than the seal diameter and carefully tap the seal in, flush with the case. I prefer to use the medium strength loctite on the shifter bolt. They constantly work loose! Hope this helps and sorry I got long winded!
Dave

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
Thanks, I thought I had to rip the whole engine down. This should be pretty simple.

I was looking on Bike Bandit, in the 1990 year, kdx 200.......I dont see the o ring I need, any help would be great. I see a 92027: COLLAR,CHANGE SHAFT but no O-rings :think:

Last edited:

CTurbo

Oct 30, 2001
Your primary concern should be the clutch. I use 10w-30 petroleum motor oil as recomended in the manual on a 1992 KDX. Changed oil every 6-8 month, ridden 90-120 miles every week. No brakedowns yet! I have it since new and other trans oils make the kick start slip.

Top Bottom