FUBAR

Oct 1, 2004
I can`t seem to find the spesification for how much oil and what kind of oil I should use on my Rear suspension (Kx125 89)
I belive its Kayaba shocks

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
The shock is filled completely with oil except for the bladder which contains the nitrogen charge. That's why there is no figure for capacity.

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF works great and is also inexpensive.

FUBAR

Oct 1, 2004
thnx...
So all I have to do is fill oil in the "DRAINING hole" where the bolts is inserted
until it`s full :)

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
I wld not recommened atf in shocks. It is way too thick.
Sae 2,5 is the way to go otherwise you wld have big fading problems due to temperature flux.
What comes out a shock is almost as thin as water.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It works great, especially in an older shock. Worst case, you may have to compensate by going a couple clicks softer. I believe it is equivalent to a 7wt fluid. What I have noticed is that the synthetic ATF comes out virtually the same color as it goes in. Hence, less wear on the shock body. I have at least one factory service manual that specifies ATF in the forks and shock. Do a search of this forum and you'll be amazed.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I use a 5wt but i feel people obsess too much over oil types and thickness, just like on premix-it it works and doesnt cost the earth then why change?

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
will try atf one time, and see what happens.A Few clicks won't bother me, so i give it a go. Mine "water" comes out clean also. I find 2,5 stock over 7,5 atf a big difference though. But i will see.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have put Mobil 1 ATF in a 02 XR250 shock and it was an improvement over the stock fluid. I mixed 20% ATF and 80% 2.5 wt shock fluid in my KX250, but in my YZ I run straight 2.5 wt shock fluid.

The bottom line is that the ATF is cheap, and works well. It will change the performance of your shock a bit, but it isn't that drastic especially for slower riders. On bikes like the XR250 I believe that it helped by increasing the dampening effect a bit.

Top Bottom