OK folks, things on the Skinny here....

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Alrighty, here goes. NV Sixx I know you have one so lets heare it!

I have about 50% of the deposit from my last piston off the head. Not my fault, it was raining, lost my last tear off and hit a stump. Tore my coolant line at the pump and heated up.

At any rate, my piston shed some of itself on the wall before I noticed.

I got half of it off with a ball hone. If I can't get the rest off or won't come off. Will I save more by punching it out?

Next, will a stocker connecting rod hold up with a 133 or 144 over bore?

Cut bait or fish time here. Either salvage it or start parting out. I would like to have a loaner but a new steed would be even more enjoyable!

Thanks in advance!

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
If the stock rod is fairly new it would prolly be up to running the big bore but if you plan to ride a lot and are going to run it hard, a 14 year old bike may not be the one you want to do it on. What kind of shape is the rest of the bike in. Sometimes those old bikes turn into real money pits when you run them hard

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
SR,

The rest of the bike is in fairly good shape for the greriactric paitiant it is. As for it sucking up money like Bubba at an all you can eat buffet, understood. I guess it's time to cut and run, besides I went window shopping yesterday and saw a few alternatives. ;)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The problem is removing the ally & not just smearing it all around.

Caustic soda (drain cleaner).

Apply to a rag (or cotton bud) with some water to dampen & lay in the affected area. Leave for some while. This attacks the aluminium but not the plating. Should come off onto the rag. Keep it off unplated areas of course.

Clean area with scotchbrite pad & inspect that plating is still intact under bright light.

Warning: Caustic soda is the most lethal stuff you can buy at the super market.
Wear gloves & eye protection.

Top Bottom