~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Blue poo for the doo-doo!;)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
WHOA!!! I love MXA!?!

That's right, didn't you guys see that picture of Jim Pomeroy on the contents page? Makes it worth the subscription price right there, tell you whut, know whudda mean.:confused:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please forgive me. I am a sinner. I subscript to <gulp> MXA.
However...
Give them a break, they put out a decent magazine that serves a good purpose in giving you some pretty pictures to look at while sitting on the toilet.
THAT is it's intended purpose. Wonder how Jody feels knowing that everytime someone is looking at his face they are pinching one off? You realize of course this could lead to some strange association situations. Everytime someone see's Jody, this urge to purge comes over them. Not a good thing while doing interviews?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Something y'all have to understand is Thump spends an inordinate volume of his time in the library, most of them being the fiberglass non-permenant type (from what I have been told). So he's got plenty of time to burn through all the other ragsand still wear the shine off a MXA page (yes I too did not think that was possible):silly: .

Okie I think it's all an association thing. Ya' hear water and you have to pee, ya' see Jody and ya' have to... (I'm just afraid with as full of it as he is that some folks may end up trapped on the throne):eek:

Tolson

May 16, 2001
CR450F

Despite what every one thinks about the review of the CRF450R, which I must say was very positive except for a few things. Notably the rear brake which on more than one occasion has failed completely, the turning (it pushes end of story) and a motor that is mellower and easier to ride than the YZ426.

I mentioned I rode it this weekend at the World Vet on Saturday and liked it after a few modifications. I don't mention these mods as gospel just that they worked for me and thought you might be interested in the results.

As far as the brand of triple clamps and the exact pipe I ran I left those off because I didn't want you to think I was just trying to sell product for our "VALUED ADVERTISERS" as it was so nicely put.

Sincerely,

Tim Olson
Motocross Action

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Yamaha ad money doesn't add up

I'm thumbing through the pages of my just delivered MXA. And son of a gun, I need to poop. Be right back...

OK. I see a two page CRF450 ad on pages 15 and 16. A Honda Rider Club ad on page 17. One small quarter page "Stupid Hurts" ad on 19. And a "Gifts That Go" ad on page 31.

No Yamaha ads.:eek:

Could it be the fact that most of the MXA test consultants are gamefully employed by Yamaha interests. I don't know for sure what Willy Musgrave and Gary Jones are doing for Yamaha. But isn't Alan Olson a Yamaha mechanic for Doug Dubach? And isn't that Larry Brooks guy McGrath's team manager?

Just thinking out loud cuz I don't know nuthin' bout no motorcross bikes. The newest one I've been on was a 1985 MStar fivehunnert.:confused:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So Jody rode a ______ at the WB Vet Nationals.

Fill in the blank:
A. Yamaha
B. Yamaha
C. Yamaha
OR
D. Yamaha
:silly:

Willy Musgrave :think Oh yeah! The MXA guy that finished out BEHIND BillyWho in the Pro class on Sunday at Glen Helen. (strange twist is that BillyWho was on the Yamaha and Willy was on a Kawasaki, but I can assure you Yamaha couldn't afford to have BusterWho as a team rider):p

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Tim you guys at MXA have come down hard on the 450's handleing.Then you back pedal with a statement that the crapy California dirt may be at fault?, but just with this bike?.......whats next? a tech article "On how to make the 450 turn".....we shaved 2mm off the steering stops,installed new triple clamps,20in ft wheel,the rear wheel all the way back.....and it almost turns as good as a 426.....damn crapy dirt.........:scream: :eek: :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: CR450F

Originally posted by Tolson
As far as the brand of triple clamps and the exact pipe I ran I left those off because I didn't want you to think I was just trying to sell product for our "VALUED ADVERTISERS" as it was so nicely put.

Try not to pull a hamstring while you back-pedal there Timmy.

Lots of us know full well about Jody telling people you guys are in the ENTERTAINMENT business. We know you guys print stuff just to get a reaction (i.e. Cannondale), so spare us the half-hearted BS. We know at some point Cannondale will get over their teething problems and you posers will try and take credit for masterminding the turn around. You guys wouldn't recognize journalistic integrity if you tripped over it and it got rammed where the sun doesn't shine.

Shouldn't you be off working on your next great technical piece "How Barometric Pressure Changes Compromise Grip Longevity" ?

For once I have to side with the Greenies. A tree shouldn't have been cut down to print your worthless rag.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Rich all I can say is your post is pure genius:) You ripped the words right out of my mouth:) :)

ps

I think what you ment to say tim was,
Our valued advertiser's cheque's bounced so I won't plug them at this moment

pps, Yes Alan Olsen is a mechanic for Dubach (I hope he didn't teach timmy, or else dubach;s in for a sweet top triple clamp change when he complains about the handling:confused: )

Last edited:

Tolson

May 16, 2001
CRF450R

Don't knock the triple offset change until you try it.

And as for the crappy California dirt that was a joke.

Not a single person that rides for MXA works for Yamaha despite what you guys think. My Dad (Alan Olson) is Dubach's mechanic, but he does it because he loves it.

I didn't mean to backpedal on the test if that's the way it sounded. The bike doesn't turn. Changing the triple clamp offset and the springs helped resolve the problem. End of story.

I hope the Cannondale succeeds with their four-stroke and resolves the teething problems. Maybe at that point they'll let us test another bike.

Now I'm off trying to figure out exactly what barometric pressure is and why it might affect my (product plug) Renthal soft half waffle grips.

Sincerely,

Tim Olson
Motocross Action

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
taken from twmx's test

"we were completely surprised with the excellent handling characteristics of the new CRF450R
the CRF450R is without a doubt the most nimble big-bore thumper we've ever thrown our legs over. Test riders commented that the combination of the strong motor and excellent handling traits inspired confidence right off the bat
The bike was quite adept at catching tight, inside lines"

sounds like they think it turns. or maybe they forgot to mention that they changed the triple clamps.

mxaddict

Oct 3, 2000
CanadianRidr, great 'quotes' post! Oh yeah, I posted it at thumpertalk.com and you cut and pasted it here.

Tim,

I would like you to tell me exactly how the YZ426 is a vastly superior race bike that handles better, is faster and has better brakes but most testers could go faster on the Honda.

Also, you say a set of heavier springs, exhaust and a triple clamp change make it your bike of choice. But it is a 'garbage scow' stock? That is absurd. Apparently 'garbage scows' and 'oil tankers' powered by minivan motors are viable options for the serious mx'er with a little tweaking. Maybe we'll see a shootout soon.

-Pro Circuit Valdez vs. FMF Mississippi flatbottom-
(Let me guess, they will both need heavier fork springs)

(now I'll have to start a thread asking Rich to mediate a dispute over Mobil 1 or Castrol 10w-40 oil in my Chrysler V6)

Julius Pleaser,

That is the funniest post I have ever read anywhere. I should be able to ride again in a couple of months after healing from hernia surgery.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mx547 beat me to the punch, I was just getting ready to type that exact quote. Maybe they have different "turning" dirt at TWMX?:confused:

I will say this, Tim you are being a good sport about this little bash fest and even show some humor when others would be doing quite the opposite. I guess I'm hoping when Roland unloads MXA and Jody get's his just rewards that if you are left to steer the boat you'll turn it around because it's plowing more bottom muck than water right now.:)

A little related humor. The wife was at the store and had Little Patman with her. Thinking she would be bringing me a little suprise she picked up a MXA and put it in the cart. Little Patman saw it and said "Mommy who's that magazine for?", "It's for you and daddy", "But this one is a pile of crap", (some corrective action taken by Mrs. Patman here for his choice of words) so it goes back on the shelf. When the story is related to me my response before she finished was "That pile of crap?!" to which Little Patman was overheard laughing on the couch. :)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I'm impressed with Tim's ability to take it and respond without fighting back. It's nice that he's here. We can ask him to clarify the reviews and he can address the differences that other magazines come up with on their tests.

As far as tests go, trying being a KX guy :mad: The bikes come in last in every test. Reading between the lines though, it's only a matter of small degrees and since most people buy a pipe, I can rest assured that for less money I can get Eric to fix the engine :)

I don't mind someone holding the AMA's and Clear Channel's feet to the fire. I enjoy the new products sections and it is the best catalog that I get. That's not really a slam, I have a need for the ads and prices. I break lots of parts :ugg: I also can use their test to either corroborate or discount information that appears in other magazines and vice versa.

The Yamaha Action thing is actually a pleasant change for me from the early 90's when it was Honda Action. I missed the 96-98 time frame, but I imagine that would've been the glorious years of Kawasaki Action ;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The CRF seemed to handle well on our super tight Sx tracks when i went to watch(Neil Prince won one of the nights on it).When i say small think small compared to arenacross.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's all about the dirt Marcus ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Patman
Little Patman saw it and said "Mommy who's that magazine for?", "It's for you and daddy", "But this one is a pile of crap"

Wise beyond his years :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's gonna stick!

Not if it's a CRF in Kali it ain't. :p

Yeah it might leave a mark for a bit but, really could it be the first time?;)

Too bad the Weasel won't pop up here :mad: Likes to talk plenty of smack when he's on the back side of a one way mirror.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Patman
Too bad the Weasel won't pop up here :mad: Likes to talk plenty of smack when he's on the back side of a one way mirror.

Our little friend Timmy has been known to talk smack when he thinks it won't get back to you. RIGHT TIM?:D

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Like I said, they stepped on their proverbial YZ blue dinks. I still haven't heard one word from these guys. I think after singing their praises for so long, buying their mags since 82' they could at least tell me (the customer) to go blow or sorry, we really tanked that one (something!).

You know they probably sent out an electronic reply, but cyberspace in Kali is MUCH harder to navigate than anywhere else, much like the same forces that cause a CRf to turn into my wifes Chrysler Town & Country with two flat tires, running on four out of six cylinders. :silly:

When is that socks shootout?:p

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Our little friend Timmy has been known to talk smack when he thinks it won't get back to you. RIGHT TIM?

Care to kill two birds with one stone here? (Enlighten me, humiliate him):debil:

I'm impressed with Tim's ability to take it and respond without fighting back. It's nice that he's here. We can ask him to clarify the reviews and he can address the differences that other magazines come up with on their tests.

Kidding, right? My beef is that these are legitimate complaints that he is not responding to. Does nothing but reinforce my belief they all thrive on throwing sticks & running away--or at least hiding.

Then again, maybe he's just getting his kicks watching all of us piss and moan about them. What's the big fuss? They are the ENQUIRER of motocross & everyone here knows it. What's the surprise? These are largely uneducated people throwing a fab mag out at the uneducated & young public. As my 4 year old son would say: "That's despicable!".:mad:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom