Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
I am looking to replace my KDX 200. It is a great trail bike but I definately want something more. I have always been a KTM fan and am thinking seriously about one for my next purchase but don't know what model I want. I'm Looking for light weight, supple trail suspension that can be moto-xed, and most of all...monster power that is smooth and controlable. I am now a senior rider and my KDX never wears me out but then again it is fairly light and has about 32 HP. I dont want to wrestle a bike all day and I want something that will rip, snort and root but somewhat "electric". What model am I looking for guys????

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Sounds like a KTM is for you! Any of the 3: 200, 250, 300 EX/C sound like your bike. I've ridden all 3, and settled for the 250. I personally think it's the best of the bunch, but I know others will say differently (no :flame:s please!) Why? The 200 took more left-foot action that I care to do (I'm also a more senior rider). The 300 is more "electric", but is too sudden on the low end with any amount of throttle. I think the 250 is just right.....

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
I am a Senior rider also (45) and went from a KDX200 to an '02 KTM 250 EXC. I have not ridden any of the other KTMs but this one is great.

I don't get as tired riding as I did on my KDX. I can go faster, easier. The suspension is terrific right out of the box. The motor is very electric. No hits anywhere, but still ALOT stronger than my KDX.

I love the bike. It is everything I had hoped for in a bike.

Ken

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Don't want to start a flame war. But, if you want an electric motor - you should also consider the gasgas... The prices are coming down for '03 to be more competitive with ktm.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Anssi

May 20, 2001
You shouldn't ignore four-strokes. The 520 is as close to controllable monster power as you can get. It won't wear you out as long as you have some discipline, but if you get too liberal with the wrist, you will be out of breath pretty soon. Obviously, I ride a -02 520 SX.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
my best friend has a '96 sc (or lc) 400. its awesome. monster power, no "hit," super plush susp, roll on wheelies in 3rd, lots of engine braking (apparently some do not like this), easy starting, 4 stroke, ect ect.

i'm not sure how heavy it is, however. it feels just right to me.

i say do it. you only live once. might as not well ride what everyone else rides, right?

jeremiah

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Supple trail suspension that can be MX'd is somewhat of an oxymoron. If it's supple enough for goods wood riding, it'll most likely be too soft for MX. Some folks spin clickers and even change springs to go back and forth so those are things you can try. My advice would be to set it up well for what you do most of and live with it for the other.

I agree about the 250EXC 2 stroke. Great bike and a perfect move from a KDX. We have a 96 KDX200 and I had a 99 250EXC. The KTM is worlds more capable and fun bike.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
The 200 is a lot of fun and I love mine but ya got to want to shift. I rode a friends 02 300 exc a couple of weeks ago and the torque was fun. The biggest surprise was how good it turned. Best turning stock KTM I've ridden. Must be the weight bias.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Do kdx200's really have 32 HP? That's better than I thought.
If you want monster power, a 250 or bigger is your best bet. I have a 200exc, and it has about 34 HP. I know it feels way more powerful than my friends kdx though.

nicky

Mar 18, 2001
I came off a KDX220 to a EXC400. The power is much smoother than the two strokes, no pre mix to mess with, electric start. For us old out of shape trail riders, its hard to beat...

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
200 or 250, I choose the 250, if you are under 180 and or ride flat terrain the 200 will be fine but the 250 has more snort for long hills

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
Thanks for all the input guy's! To respond to several posts; I am estimating 32 HP based upon dyno charts I have seen on similarly modified bikes. As far as trail suspension that can be motoed--you have to understand....I'm 40 years old and overweight, I want something that works good in the woods yet can be moderately jumped ( short doubles and some tabletops, etc., no 70 foot ttriples in my future!! I have been thinking about a 520 and was offered a chance to ride one last spring and turned it down---I could kick myself now! I did see the 520 guy about an hour after that out on the trails and he was wagging his tongue and I was still fresh. A 250 2 stroke would surely be plenty for me but if a 300 is smoother and turns well--why not give it a try? Here is another question--has anyone ever tried an e-bay purchase on a scoot?? How can you be sure what your getting is as advertised? I had a friend that flew from Cinncinati to Arizona to pick up an E-Bay Ferrari only to learn it was missing about $15,000 in computer ware and wouldn't even run. He was lucky he wanted to drive it back home and flew there to pick it up, what if he had purchased it and had it shipped--like I would most likely have to do if purchasing an E-Bay bike?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
DArryl K .. I just made the leap froma Fredette Modified 98 KDX to a 01 EXC 250 and so far my impressions are the bike has LOTS more power and WAY better suspension. I have been more than happy with the bike. The only gripe I have is the seat is rock hard compared to the KDX and the bike vibrates much more than the KDX. It seems to throw bolts off at will. LOCTITE seems to help but it seems like I need to submerge the whole bike in the stuff.

I would be REAL leary of the Ebay thing. I bid on a Gas Gas that was 5 hrs away that looked REAL GOOD in the pictures but when I got there it was a big disappointment. The guy said it was well mainteioned and when I got there the filter looked like a BUNDT cake and he didnt remember the last time he changed the oil. On the other hand though I sold my KDX to a fella in Arizona and he had never ridden the bike. He took a chance and it worked out for him. I guess it all depends on how much you trust what your being told.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I had the opportunity to ride several ktm's before I rode bought my 250.
The 98 200 had comparable power to my fully modified kdx but bid not seem as nimble but was more stable at speed, over whooped out trails it was better than the kdx but not as good as the 250 I rode which had lots more power and was more stable. The 250 could be steered consistently with throttle input which the lack of low end on the 200 prohibited. On wet roots and rocks the 250 had a more friendly power delivery than the 200. The 300 did not seem to steer as quick as the 250 but had a lot of low end but I felt I had to wrestle it around in tight woods.
any of these will be a big step up from the kdx and none will be a bad choice. My choice was a 250 with 13/50 gearing, a straight taper needle, a TcII silencer, a 13oz flywheel weight and a custom Rad valve. I ride mostly tight woods and this time of year I enjoy riding the higher areas in mountains

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I rode KDX's and made the jump to a 99 300exc. The 300 is like the KDX on steroids. I loved how you could "grunt" along on the KDX and the 300 just has more. It does get a little crazy when you start getting into the revs. It steers slower, the seats harder, and likes to be pushed a little more (ridden more agressively), but once you become familiar with the bike it's a ton of fun. I've ridden the 200's and thought the engines were very close, especially to a worked over KDX motor. The 250's have me intrigued though. If you're the type of guy who's gonna buy a 250 and start doing a bunch of mods to it to up the HP you might as well get the 300. Just my two pennies. ;)

RMrider

~SPONSOR~
Jun 18, 2001
I bought my 90 KTM 250MX off of Ebay and couldnt be happier. I went in with a limited budget since my last bike was stolen and thought I might be "settling" for a cheap bike but after having the bike a few months I think I got a steal. The thing I looked for was a complete ad. Are there more than just a picture or two and how complete is the description. If they take the time to actually tell you about what the bike has and what its history is you are more likely to be ok than the ad that says simply "dirt bike for sale". The good ads will tell you what aftermarket stuff (if any) the bike has and what recent maintanance parts have been replaced (top end, clutch, bearings, etc...) If you are a careful shoper the ebay thing can be a goldmine of good used bikes.
I might get flamed for this but its just my $.02

Ty

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
First KNeese, now Mike B & Fishhead too!! What's Canadian Dave going to say! I am going to keep the KDX for my oldest son and abandon ship for a 250. Fishhead,I was curious about the 13oz flywheel weight, is that on an EXC? Is it still "peppy"? My buddy has a 94 CR set up for woods with a 13oz weight and it is awesome, but it was set up for full moto and needed some mellowing for trail riding. A local independent dealer has an '01 250sx for $3500 and I was thinking about it with a weight but am concerned about too stiff suspension. Thanks again for the input guys. I am staying away from EBay bikes unless they are within driving distance.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
The 13 oz weight is in addition to the standard exc weight. When you're are hooked up or traction is good the effect is transparent. When traction is bad like on snotty roots and rocks it helps a ton. I rode it on one enduro school event and it was very nice when I had to pick my way around a couple of stalls in a rooty rocky section with deep dust. It is still plenty peppy. I think it depends on rider ability and preference and a lot depends on the terrain. Here in wetstern WA i think its a great thing but I wouldn't tell anyone.

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
OK guys, I just found an "02 520 SX with the following mods for $5000 OBO. I know it isnt exactly what I am looking for but it is BEAUTIFUL and pristine!!! Any comments about the 4 speed tranny, will I regret not getting an MXC/EXC????

Black Excels rims

Braking wave rotors (front and rear)

16mm offset R&D triple clamps

J&M Suspension

Big Gun complete exhaust

Titanium bolts, axles, etc

New grips, seat cover, graphics, air/oil filters

Talon sprocket

DID Gold ERT chain

Carbon fiber fork guards

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
My friend has the 520 and I've had the pleasure of riding it and I really like it. Just put it in 2nd gear and go. The engine braking is nice on the trails as well. Sounds like it's set up more for MX racing than dirt but throw on some BarkBusters and you're ready to go. Just replace the parts as you brake or bend them. I'm a big fan of the 520 and I only weigh a buck fiddy. Honestly, I think the more power you have the easier the bike is to ride. As long as you've got that low end power.

Top Bottom