MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have a 7 year old DELL 800 mhz PC computer and am looking to replace it. I have a few PC race driving games and my kids have about 30 kids PC games. I like to work with audio files and am looking to make/create DVDs (photos with music type stuff) in the future.

All of my stuff is obviously PC type games and programs. Two people where I work have MAC computers and rave about them. I can get a very nice (for me) Gateway or HP computer from Best Buy for under $700.00

My question is what are the main differences between PCs and MACs and are there any limitations to getting a MAC or should I just stick with a PC?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do you want to continue using your current software? If so, the question has already been answered. Also, do the games run well on your current machine?
I think that either a PC or a MAC would suit your needs, although the MAC will likely be more expensive. I think (not sure) that a MAC would come equipped with software for your media manipulation, while you would have to purchase the music software for a PC. I also believe that most PC's come with a basic slideshow creator (possibly even Windows Movie Maker would do it).
If you think that you will get into more serious audio and video editing, the $800 HP probably won't cut it. For video editing, you need a lot of disk space, and a ton of RAM. The audio stuff won't be quite as taxing.
Another possible option, if you want to keep your games, but decide to buy a MAC, is to do upradeyour old PC. I know that there are many here that believe upgrading an 800Mhz computer is a waste, but it is a good way to keep the kids off of your new computer. You can add more RAM (which will speed up the machine more than you might think), add a second hard drive, and perform a clean install on the operating system to get rid of all the junk that has accumulated over the past 7 years (which is very likely hurting your performance).

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
XRpredator said:
it's like a 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke question

this can only go badly
I don't want it to go badly, I just want to find out more before I buy a new computer. The people here at DRN always give the best advice. :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
FruDaddy said:
Do you want to continue using your current software? .
That's part of the problem. I have a game called Grand Prix 4 that I got a few years ago and my machine won't run it well at all. I have Microsoft Flight simulator and don't have enough space on my hard drive to keep it going plus it runs a little slow....

The kids will end up with this machine when we get a new one.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
MikeT said:
That's part of the problem. I have a game called Grand Prix 4 that I got a few years ago and my machine won't run it well at all. I have Microsoft Flight simulator and don't have enough space on my hard drive to keep it going plus it runs a little slow....

The kids will end up with this machine when we get a new one.

Best bet is to stick with the PC. You already know how to use it, plus you have PC software that you want to run.

If you go Mac, you are going to have to learn a new system, and find comparable software for it.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I have wanted to get a Mac for a while, but I really don't want to have to replace all of the software that I currently use and depend on. Simple choice for me.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I have a PC I use for work and an Apple for personal. If the kids games will run on the old one, then wipe it clean for them and start fresh for you. If you want to try a new flavor heres the entry level mac you would want to try, could be less if you get a 17inch, but I like the 20 ;) http://www.apple.com/imac/
A new Apple that will run Windows and run your games will be about $1500 and have this;
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
20-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Also this is included with a new purchase; http://www.apple.com/ilife/
iLife ‘06 suite for creating photo projects, making movies, designing DVDs, building websites, and composing music

The biggest difference here from a PC for $700 from a box store is that with this machine you get all the software you'd ever want for Video, Music, photos, and movies. Add the cost of all the software you will need to buy to the $700 and then you are closer to comparing "Apples to Apples" :whoa:

Also, if you have any problems with the Apple, the support covers everything! So when you have an connection problem and call Dell for example, Dell tells you to call Microsoft, Microsoft recommends you call the Modem Manufacturer, the modem man suggest you try the service provider. PAss the buck, Apple support has been great!

Also my new Apple detected my broadband wireless and set it up, my new Dell it's a manual process.

My Apple works great with iTunes and the iPod, however your somewhat railroaded with being limited to burning 5 CD's and it tracks everything to protect against illegal sharing. Which isn't bad, so to insure I always get to keep my music I still buy the CD so I have the original.

I bought the .Mac account, which is a rip off in price, yet so far been convenant.

I would go to Comp USA an Apple reseller and play with one they have set up, then do the same with a PC they have set up and see which you like!

I prefer my Dell for Spreadsheet, word, and PPT, yet Apple for everything else!

Also, 4 strokes :cool:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I like PC, you see thse stupid MAC commercial that lie. An PC is very easy to upgrade, easy to install stuff onto, and all your stuff will be garrenteed to download onto the new computer.

BUt a MAC is differnt, it used a different kind of running software, so probebley some of the games wont work on it. BUT MAC's are good for making movies, and messing with audio files, and playing around the internet! All these viruses you hear about are designed to go after PC's, nobody makes viruses for MAC's. BUT i have NEVER herd about upgrading a MAC, i bet you can though. But even with your older computer, it is fully upgradable, BUT if its 7 years old you probebly have the "old" style processor which CAN be upgraded, but not like anything like today! But if you get 1gig of RAM a bigger Graphics card, and maby a hard drive, it WILL go alot better! but the processor will be slowing you down if its and old style one.

PERSONALLY! i would get a PC with about 1gig of ram, maby a 256MB graphics card, with a processor over 2.0ghz (they go up to 3.6 i think)and you will be happy.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I think Kaypro is a real nice box, simple, portable, dependable, and original too. :laugh:

Attachments

• kayproii.jpg
    kayproii.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 93

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
VintageDirt said:
I think Kaypro is a real nice box, simple, portable, dependable, and original too. :laugh:

We had one of those at work for dumping files into the CNCs......way back in the day :cool:

I'd stay with the PC if no other reason then your comfortable with its operation. Macs aren't hard to learn but they are a bit different and that could be a bit frustrating if you don't have a Mac buddy to ask questions. Now if your going to edit a lot of home video ect... maybe consider the Mac :yikes:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Okiewan said:
Kinda like calling all drywall Sheetrock. :)
Actually, calling all drywall Sheetrock would be more like calling all personal computers Macs or calling all soft drinks Coke.;)

Trying to choose between a pc and a Mac is more like deciding between bottled water and Dasani.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah, 800mhz processor is pretty slow. I recently purchased an AMD Hp and it runs fine. I would go with quad core if I had the money but dual would work fine. Get 2gb of ram if you can and don't worry about hard drive space. Unless you publish movies or download a sh** load of music, then 200gb is plenty. You should find some good deals out there. Im kinda mad that I bought a single core insted of dual, but it still works enough to my needs. As for mac vs pc I would go pc due to the fact u can do more on them. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Okiewan said:
Some examples? If one is Gaming .... the future of PC gaming is going down the tubes anyway, nearly all the publishers have clearly put their energy into the consoles; a trend that won't soon change.
True, but the XBox is little more than a PC optimized for gaming. This makes it extrememly easy for publishers to port XBox games to PC.

Let me just to say it, more software (both good and bad) is written for the Windows OS due to the fact that it is more popular. The IBM compatible machines can also run Linux with minimal or no difficulty. Also, replacement parts for these machines are readily available as the hardware is not proprietary.

On the other hand, The current Mac OS is based on Unix, which is a predecessor to Linux, and therefore comes with the security and stability of Linux. There is not as much software written for Mac, because developers want to sell to the masses. There are also fewer viruses written for Mac for the same reason. Macs also come with better entertainment/art software "out of the box", and seems to be the weapon of choice for artists of all kinds.

The cold hard reality, is that either will serve the average home well, and neither is superior to the other. While they each do have some strengths and weaknesses, if you have to ask which is better for your cause, you are not likely specialized enough for it to matter either way. If you are already a Windows user, there will be a bit of a learning curve with a Mac.

To the OP, it really doesn't matter, as I don't believe that you intend to dive to deeply into video editing. Of course, you should probably look at something with at least 1gb of RAM, a large HD, good sound card, DVD RW (so you can get away with screwing up a few times), and a large monitor. If you have to cut corners and shave cost, sacrifice the processor a little.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you are already a Windows user, there will be a bit of a learning curve with a Mac.
Considering that XP has sat stagnate for what 6 years? a lot of folks should know how to use it by now :) I upgraded to Vista ... YACK. Can't believe we waited that long for that "upgrade".

True, but the XBox is little more than a PC optimized for gaming. This makes it extrememly easy for publishers to port XBox games to PC.
The result is the same... they aren't making games for desktops ... for long. The 360 and PS3 put the dagger in. Still, the consoles suck imo for shooters ... nothing better than a mouse and keyboard.

For graphics, vid editing, publishing and yes, entertainment nothing touches the Mac, end of story (short pro work stations). I do my photography and PS work, send movies wirelessly to my home theater, as well as music, slide shows of all my pics to the big screen ... all of which took 10 minutes to set-up. I use NeoOffice .... free Microcrap Office clone for spreadsheets, power point, and documents, zero compatability issues with PC users. If I were to upgrade to an Intel Mac, I could lose the WinTel machine all together.

But that's just me.

I use the PC to play Call of Duty 2. About once a month.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
In your case I would just stick with the PC. Everyone has different needs. I built my computer in early January because my old computer was failing. My main requirements were to be able to play almost any game out at the time on maximum settings and run it nicely. I also wanted to be able to overclock and test myself and the system limits. These two eliminated MAC from my choice. I ended up with:

DFI Lanpaty NF-4 motherboard
eVGA 7800GT now overclocked
AMD Opteron 148 now overclocked to 2.8, maximum for me was 3.1ghz.
OCZ Powerstream 520 power supply freaking awesome, recommended to anyone
2gb G. Skill Extreme Series RAM now overclocked to DDR600 speed
2*120gb SeaGate Barracudas in RAID0
Zalman CNPS9500 cpu cooler, just a nice big hunk of copper for awesome cooling
Asus DVD/CD burner
Xion II case

Built that myself and had a blast doing so. It ran everything that I wanted to it too run and much more. It still still play most games close to max settings but computer technology devolps so fast that as soon as you buy something it's allready bee surpassed.

For you I would go with a new Conroe, ~E6400 or so. Intels cpus due to their architecture tend to handle multimedia applications like those you want to run better than AMD will. At least 1gb, 2 gb is much more expensive and you will appreciate the extra. Pick up yourself a nice large harddrive and if you want to make sure that none of your data will ever be lost, RAID1 that sucka' with another hdd.

Nov 25, 2006
Okiewan said:
The result is the same... they aren't making games for desktops ... for long. The 360 and PS3 put the dagger in. Still, the consoles suck imo for shooters ... nothing better than a mouse and keyboard.

That's for sure. These machines have web browsers, online gaming, hook up for ipods, whatnot, hd ready, they are impressive, and killing pc gaming.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Xbox 360, 1 week after Christmas was nuked! Got a free replacement though, typical Microsoft stability :nener:

Top Bottom