Please Help! Honda XR 250L Stalling Out When Hot

grapher

Nov 24, 2012
I have a 1995 Honda XR 250L enduro that is a great running bike, but for some reason when it has been running for longer than 20 minutes and I come to a stop, it will stall out. It doesn't always do this, but every now and then it will. I usually wont be able to restart it until about 10-15 minutes later when it has cooled down a little. The bike never stalls out when it is cold or has been running for a short peroid of time, only when running for a while. Does anyone have an idea what could be the issue?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
That is a classic symptom of your valves being set too tight, i.e. not enough clearance between the top of the valve stem and the valve train.

On your bike, the clearances tighten up with wear. When the motor gets hot, the clearances disappear.

So the valves are not closing all the way when the motor is hot. This will cause it to stall at low rpm and not restart until it cools down.

Usually it will be the exhaust valves (they get hotter), but check and adjust the intake valves as well.

grapher

Nov 24, 2012
So I have checked the valves and the clearance is right where it should be. I also checked to see if maybe it could be a bad coil, but I'm still getting spark when the won't start. Does anyone else have any idea what could be causing my bike to stall out or not start when it has been running for a while?

Dirtjunkie85

Mar 2, 2010
Have you checked the fuel filter? I have had some that will do that a bit and with an older bike like that sometimes crap can get into the fuel line and cause some weird issues. Plus the part is only a couple of bucks so even if it isn't the problem you won't be out that much. If you can't blow through that filter then it needs to be replaced.

Top Bottom