Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
I realize that racing motocross hardly constitutes being poor, though it can get you there pretty quick. But what is with the sea of motorhomes at the tracks. My son has been racing about 3 years now and we represent about 5% of the racers that show up in a pick-up or van. Isn't anybody poor anymore? On the flip side it does make the top 5 finishes all the sweeter. :ride:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
rpm12505 said:
I realize that racing motocross hardly constitutes being poor, though it can get you there pretty quick. But what is with the sea of motorhomes at the tracks. My son has been racing about 3 years now and we represent about 5% of the racers that show up in a pick-up or van. Isn't anybody poor anymore? On the flip side it does make the top 5 finishes all the sweeter. :ride:

HAHAHA! Yeah, i've noticed that. When they race across the streets about 50% of them are in big motor homes. The 40% are in pickup trucks with HUGE trailers. And the last 10% is in pickup trucks with bikes in the back.

Now. ok thats cool whatever but why take a motor home? your there for a day. you don't sleep there. And on a few ocasions(sp) they race into the night. Yea it would be nice to be able to relax in your heated massage chair/couch sucking down a cup of java while watching your favorite show on a 50" highdef TV. :fft: But thats not what your there for. YOUR THERE TO :ride:.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
What's funny is my father-in-law at his kart races. He does the WKA east coast series by himself in a 2000 Chrysler 300M with 150,000+ miles. He built a stainless steel covered trailer for his 1998 CR 125 Kart for which he gave $2500.00.

The other guys show up in huge motorhomes with $10,000.00+ karts and pit crews. These guys replace the piston every race, the ring every time on the track. Yet, they seem to break down more than him.

He finished 4th at Daytona last year. He was top 10 in the series even though he missed three races with a DNF and two no shows.

We still have a lot of "poor" people around here - I'd say 75% don't have anything but a truck or car with a trailer.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Now. ok thats cool whatever but why take a motor home? your there for a day. you don't sleep there.
maybe overnight trips to tracks? Allows the whole family to go and be comfortable? Maybe mom and sis don't want to sit in the dirt all day :) There's some nice tax incentives involved in owning a "second home" ... plus they probably write-off all the racing costs, etc., add in a 20+ year mortgage on it, you don't have to be "rich" to own one, but I can tell ya from experience, filling it with fuel DOES require a small loan!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i remember how i thought i was big-time when i bought my 6x12 enclosed trailer. now with the price of gas, i often leave it at home. i race a five year-old two-stroke and drive a 97 ford with 205k miles. i do okay.

i raced the loretta's qualifier at millville last year. my brother and i pulled up to the gate at 5:00 in the morning. there were two rows of vehicles about 10-12 deep. my brother said, "jay, you're the only one here without a motorhome." he was right.

Cory326

Feb 3, 2007
Im poor...I'm looking for a way to get the wifes little van to haul my bike around...I might try one of those bike carriers to save weight. Best hualing rig I ever had was an old Ford cargo van I "modified" to all three bikes + gear....It dropped a tranny on the way home from a regional qualifier that year. :(

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I've wondered the same thing. I'm guessing there are a lot of people butthole deep in debt to a 10 foot indian.

It's unreal at the bigger series here in FL. The stuff people show up in. If you can afford it, God bless you but I just can't believe *that* many people are that well off?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Most people arent that well off, last year Americans, on average, spent more than they made. Lots of people have really good credit. But you take two average incomes in one household combined to $85,000 per year and you can do a lot of things with your credit. Im one of the few, Im single, no kids and best of all no debt at all, and I do everything I can do to keep it that way. My rich friend told me once that interest seperates the rich from the well off. If he cant buy it with cash he says he cant afford it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
sparkysakitas said:
its all about the bling nowadays :coocoo:
No way I am "RICH" financially by any means but we do pull a 30 Foot 5th wheel to the track. As Okie said there are tax considerations that help offset the cost, but even without, we would own a camping trailer of some sort anyways. When we go to a race we always try to leave the day before so we are there and ready first thing in the morning (we start practice in our distract at 7 AM). Also it is not unusual to race at one track Sat and a different one on Sunday so we are on the road anyways so why rent a hotel and worry all night about the bikes sitting out in the parking lot. My wife goes to 95% of the races with us and wants some comfort especially on cold/hot/ raining/snowing/windy days (of course I won't argue against being comfortable either).
Through the years we have gone from popup to travel trailer to a 5th wheel toybox. There are still occasions in which my son and I jump in the pickup and drive to a closer track early in the morning but that is rare.
We also use the trailer regularily for non race activities through out the year.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was always under the impression that Redbud started the motorhome thing. How about the mobile garages, with lifts,Concepts starting at 125,000. Redbud loretta qualifier 06, the only pick-up there,mine. One of these days though! 30 gallon tank sure would hurt getting what, 5 to 8 mpg?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've done the range from sleeping in the front seat of the truck with the bike in the back to having the whole family in the RV pulling a trailer with 6 or 7 bikes. There's a lot to be said for having all of your tools and spare parts with you, being able to get there the night before, getting the best parking spots, being cool/warm/clean/dry when you want, and being able to stay there after a night race. There are a lot of fun times "camping" out at the track the night before and after races.

LOL! I'm now back down to one bike for the youngest son and a 15 year old POS Toyota pickup to haul it in.

...and yes, the 31' Funmover with a V10 and an enclosed trailer got 5-6 mph "at speed".

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I'm going to weld some sockets in the back of my truck so I can set in poles that will support a tarp. After unloading the bikes, I'll throw up the tarp and this will be my camper. I just need to save up enough money to do this.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I once saw the largest motor home at a track bring a lone PW50 down the lift gate. I thought it was a pathetic display. That's right, a $150,000 motorhome carrying an $1100 minicycle for a 7 year old kid to a local (less than 4 hours) track, at least nobody had to push the 88 lb bike up a ramp.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
FruDaddy said:
I once saw the largest motor home at a track bring a lone PW50 down the lift gate. I thought it was a pathetic display. That's right, a $150,000 motorhome carrying an $1100 minicycle for a 7 year old kid to a local (less than 4 hours) track, at least nobody had to push the 88 lb bike up a ramp.
Did you ride along and know they only race at tracks less then 4 hous away? It would sure be nice to live in that proximity. Our closest track is 1 hour but most are anywhere from 2 to 6 hours away We like to be rested and comfortable on race day.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Some of the jealousy in this thread is hilarious. For the record I do own a motorhome but it's a 26 year old one, it was however the best investment I have ever made for racing. We tried racing the first year out of the back of our Dodge caravan and 5x8 utility trailer and it was not a whole lot of fun when it's pouring rain and the entire family is huddled under the lifted tailgate of the van trying to stay warm in low 30's temp. Also all of our tracks are less than 4 hours from home with the average being 1 hour but we need to be at the track for 6:30 AM sign in, this means a 4:30 am wake up call for the close tracks and much earlier for the further tracks. Now we arrive the night before and have a relaxing evening of enjoyable family time, we also have the convenience of having all of our stuff with us, our own restroom and somewhere to lounge out of the weather or heat. I've used the motorhome and my 6x12 enclosed trailer to attend DW04, and several US and Canadian Nationals. It's the best money I've spent in regards to our participation in this sport and if I could afford a 150K motorhome I'd have one regardless of whether the rest of you felt it was necessary for the one bike in the trailer.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
Some of the jealousy in this thread is hilarious.

I'm glad someone finally said it. :cool:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
I'm glad someone finally said it. :cool:
I agree after I made my post I thought about the trend in this thread and wished I had said that myself.
We will travel to races any way we can and no way I would look down at anyone working out of their 15 year old toyota corrola or their 150K motorhome. I started out at one level and some day may reach the other. As long as we are at the races either person is welcome in my pits

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
oldguy said:
Did you ride along and know they only race at tracks less then 4 hous away? It would sure be nice to live in that proximity. Our closest track is 1 hour but most are anywhere from 2 to 6 hours away We like to be rested and comfortable on race day.
While I didn't care enough then, nor do I now, to follow them around. I do know that they were, at the times when I saw the home, within a couple hours of home. I also know that they pulled in before the race and pulled out after, they did not stay over night. I believe that they did run a larger series though.

If the question is whether or not I would, a small FunMover would be more than enough. I have no desire to try to maneuver a bus around a tight pit area. I'm not even sure that I want a small enclosed trailer, but it would reduce the time it takes me to load up.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
FruDaddy said:
While I didn't care enough then, nor do I now, to follow them around.

So you don't care enough to know the circumstances, but you care just enough to criticize because they don't live to a standard you feel is acceptable?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I thought then, and still do, that it is a vulgar display of wealth. A glorious way of saying, "I have more money than you". Yes, I have passed an uninformed judgement on somebody that I don't even know. I am OK with that. Truth be told, they can live by whatever standard they would like, I am not impressed. It is their money, not mine. I care just enough to share that little, insignificant piece of information with the readers of dirtrider.net.

More likely than not, the mobile home was probably a way to keep the child's mother comfortably out of the dust for the evening.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
FruDaddy said:
I thought then, and still do, that it is a vulgar display of wealth. A glorious way of saying, "I have more money than you".

Were you the kid at school hating the kid's with nice clothes because you had to wear hand me downs? Do you begrudge every person on the Interstate with the a vehicle that is worth more than the one you own?

Life's short dude, enjoy what you have and if it's not enough for you work harder to get some more and forget about what everyone else is doing with their $$$.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I thought then, and still do, that it is a vulgar display of wealth. A glorious way of saying, "I have more money than you".
WHOA!! Dang dude, that's some seriously misdirected anger right there.

I am not impressed.
Probably a safe bet that none of them are TRYING to impress you.

Do ya get mad a peeps with nice cars or homes too? How about matching moto gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom