Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Anyone know of a good alternative to these things. I'm talking real food!! Something healthy that gives you an energy boost and doesn't send you into a food coma. Not some disgusting drivel in a high tech wrapper w/ a mtn bike on it that you sqeeze into your mouth like watery tooth paste. I've tried all the "Bars", and while they aren't bad. my intestines don't exactly dig the things. I'm looking for a snack to chow down at like 10 a.m. or 2 in the afternoon. something to help me break my 2 a day Dr. Pepper habit!! The bars work on the trail, but i'd rather eat something normal at work or when i'm home. Anyone got any suggestions!!

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Have you tried Cliff Bars? The best out of the 'bars' that I've tried (I've always thought that PowerBars were road kill taffy). If those don't work, there's always Snickers.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I was thinking of something more along the lines of food that grew up out of the ground, or walked upon it!!:D Although cliff bars are about the only ones i haven't checked out yet. i guess i'll have to check them out. C'mon no dirtbike riding french cooks out there??

fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
PBJ!

I don't know if this is what you are looking for-it sounds like you are looking for something exotic-but the only thing that I can eat before a race that I won't taste again an hour later are PBJ's. You can build one according to taste-different breads,etc.

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
i have to agree with fire escape. PBJs are the fuel of my life! get the smuckers brand red raspberry flavor jelly. also: bananas, bananas, bananas!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Let's see...you're asking for a FOOD alternative to an alternative to FOOD.:think All that garbage is a big scam--you don't need it unless you're really depleted of hepatic and muscle glycogen stores, which doesn't occur until after 24 to 36 hours of starvation.

ah, I recall a paper now. "Starvation--a feast for the physiologist"

How about 4 raw eggs & an uncooked 4 pound potatoe?:p

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
fruit is the best natural source for energy. eat an apple or bannana. when i go riding thats all that i bring with me to eat is fruit. plus its good for ya.

MotoMojo

Dec 5, 2000
BANANA.

What you want is a sustained enegy boost which = complex carbohydrates.
Dr. Pepper is simple carbohydrate + caffine which means you're up quickly (but whatever goes up must come down) and you rebound -- feeling sluggish a few hours later. If only they had caffinated bananas we be on to something.

p.s. keep one in your pocket to impress friends :D

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Funny how the suggestions dribble in on this post!!
So far i tried the cliff bars, not bad. I'm a total monkey when it comes to banana's, however they result in too much time running back and forth to the bathroom!! I eat an apple at lunch everyday, anymore than one and it's more company for the banana's in the bathroom. In a stroke of genius i thought i'd make big pitchers full of tea and then have homemade iced tea. Tea is suppose to be good for you dosen't have caffiene and no sugar. While it did save me a few bucks and tasted good, like the banana's and apples, it raised hell with my digestive track. I can't friggin win!! Those pbj's are starting to look good!!

Top Bottom