kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
My wife is interested in taking some private lessons for learning to trail ride. Are there any reputable outfits or teachers in western washington?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Hmmmm, my very unproductive answer is that she, like all of us had to, needs to get out and try it. Kinda like mowing the lawn, once you know how to run the machine go practice.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Generally the lawn mower doesn't cause bruises and broken bones, but I think the main problem is I'm a terrible teacher.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I remember Sharla (firecracker22) took an offroad riding class that was taught by a female rider. You might want to PM or E-Mail her about it. I can't remember the lady's name.

Jeremy

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I believe the class Firecracker took was the Debbie Mathews class but it's an MX class. I think they had some classes in various locations but apparently, the schedule isn't available yet, more info here:

http://www.dmsports-wsmx.com/

Some of the girls that rode the ISDE back in 02 have held a couple womens riding classes geared more towards trails in Oregon but I haven't heard anything on that since the last one in June of 03 and none of the women that were involved seem to be on the site anymore.

Dave Woods holds a trail riding class that I've read some good reviews on - he's in California, here is a thread on a recent class:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=91390&highlight=Dave+Woods

But, like Highbeam said - the best thing to do is just ride. It seems very intimidating at first but as long as she's geared up and has a bike that is reasonable for her to control there shouldn't be much of a chance of broken bones. If she's seriously worried about bruises then she better reconsider her choice of sports. There will be bumps and bruises, even with an expert teacher guaranteed! I don't think I've ever participated in any type of sport without getting some bruises.

It isn't that tough to learn to ride. My boyfriend is not the best teacher in the world and I am far from the best student (never have been though) but he has managed to teach me quite a bit and I haven't killed myself yet (or him).

What helps is to ride behind him and watch how he handles the bike. Then he follows me and critiques my technique. This usually works well except on those special occasions when it just po's me. He rides on ahead at those times and lets me figure out how to mangle my way through.

Send your wife over here to Spokaloo and Firecracker & I will help teach her how to ride. Karl & I have taught both of my kids how to ride and now at 9 yo and 11 yo I can barely keep up with them anymore - 'cept when we get on those long open straight sections then it's roostamoney on the little poops.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
It seems to me there was a rider of note in the Cle Elum area but I don't recall all the details but I do recall a trail school with several levels. Something like mikkimoto or motomikki or ? Anyone?

Rustykdx

Jan 29, 2004
Mikki?

fishhead said:
It seems to me there was a rider of note in the Cle Elum area but I don't recall all the details but I do recall a trail school with several levels. Something like mikkimoto or motomikki or ? Anyone?
Fishhead, I think the Mikki you speak of could be the woman who onced raced MX, then began racing mt. bikes. I believe she raced Pro Downhill for a couple of years or so. Last I heard she still lives in the Cle Elum area, and works as a forest ranger in that area. I've seen trail condition posts with her name attached on the NMA site. Oh yeah, I believe it's M. Douglas. Though I don't know if she gives riding lessons, but if so this may help.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Rustykdx said:
Fishhead, I think the Mikki you speak of could be the woman who onced raced MX, then began racing mt. bikes. I believe she raced Pro Downhill for a couple of years or so. Last I heard she still lives in the Cle Elum area, and works as a forest ranger in that area. I've seen trail condition posts with her name attached on the NMA site. Oh yeah, I believe it's M. Douglas. Though I don't know if she gives riding lessons, but if so this may help.

We're on the trail. I don't have current contact info for her or know if she is still doing that but she had done it at one time I recall.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Mikki teaches both mx and trail classes. I think at one point she was affiliated with Debbie Matthews but I am not sure if she still is. I have had the privilege of taking an MX class from her, as well as going on an informal trail ride that contained MANY lessons. The mtn. biking thing really, really helps. She had a well-thought-out lesson plan that covered all the basics of mx and riding, and several accomplished riders as assistants.

www.mikmoto.com (not much on here really)
email mikki@mikmoto.com

EW849

Mar 16, 2004
Hello Kev_rm,
I put on numerous MX schools thoughout Washington.
I have a womens only class this weekend in Royal City.
Check out www.ewmxschools.com
Thanks
EW

kev_rm said:
My wife is interested in taking some private lessons for learning to trail ride. Are there any reputable outfits or teachers in western washington?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Do you do trail schools too Eric? If so, I didn't mention your name because I thought you did only motocross. You should do some trail schools. he he he and I don't mean at 7 mile . . . ;)

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am trying to get her to go out often. We went out yesterday on our day off up to reiter and she did about twice as well as last time.

Just to give you an idea of how horrible a teacher I am, my bright idea was to tell her she's been promoted from "frustrating" to "boring".

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Reiter.... that's a nasty area. I did the poker run up there at the end of last year and it was a pretty technical course. A nice easy place like tahuyah would seem to be better for learning.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Tahuya for sure! When the snow level goes up a bit the green dots in the LT Murray and Vantage area are nice.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
at reiter the hard stuff is generally the single track, but the 4x4 trails are good learning areas. I like tahuya, but it's a bit of a trek for us.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
MSF Course

If you really want to jumpstart the learning curve, sign her up for the MSF streetbike class. It is taught by pros and if you take the course too you will learn to teach. (She did and I did....) They provide the bikes.

Most of the fundamentals are the same street or dirt. When the Tacoma Parks and Rec had their wonderful dirt bike program they taught using the same basic curriculum (except on dirt bikes instead of street bikes). The classes are available in Everett and Seattle.

http://www.motorcyclesafetycompany.com/qandanovice.html

Interesting tidbit from that site:
Do you offer off-road motorcycle training? At the current time the only location we are aware of that offers MSF's Dirt Bike School is Port Angeles Powersports. They can be reached at: 360-452-4652

More classes:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/wmspsite.htm

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I took that class, and while it was after I learned to ride a motorcycle, it was still very helpful in a lot of ways.

Take it from Dan Hytry if possible--he was a very good teacher, young, and kept it interesting.

BTW Reiter=death lol

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
kev_rm said:
Just to give you an idea of how horrible a teacher I am, my bright idea was to tell her she's been promoted from "frustrating" to "boring".
:p

rotflmao, kev, I thought I was harsh! (I'll have to borrow that one some time)

Try and find another female to help teach her if you can, they're more inclined to have the patience when they have a clue what's lurking inside their heads :eek:

Top Bottom