bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
With the kx bar mounts,can you just buy 2 after market over size mounts,instead of buying the adapter kit.If you can ,will you also be able to run the rubber cones around them.Will I also need to buy a top bar clamp or can I use the oem with the oversize mounts.What brand works for you.Thanks.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
BR455,
I purchased the Pro Taper kit that has the mounts. Works fine and you can use the rubber mounts for the clamps. I did however purchase the KX low bend bars (my mistake) and find that I'm a bit crowded in the turns and need to bend over further than comfortable when standing. I'm only 6' tall. I don't care for the adapter kit as it doesn't appear as strong and raises the bar alot (could have used this part :confused: ). A buddy tried the Tag adapter kit and quickly took them off.

I decided to move the bars forward and up slightly by purchasing the Applied Wrap triple clamp with offset mounts. They just came in and I haven't mounted them yet. One thing I noticed with these mounts is that they do not use the stock rubber inserts, so I'll need to check for vibrations. I hope not to return to the numb hands/arms that I had with my '99 CR250. :scream:

I'll get them mounted and give you a report if you like.

Scott

jsnake

Jan 15, 2002
I bought a pair of the TAG bar mount clamps. They are not the adapters just oversized mounts for the thicker bars. also have a pair of TAG t2's KXBend and I like them a lot. I would go with replacing the entire bar mounts and stay away from the adapter kits, they do seem to raise the bars to much for me.

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Ditto.. I bought the Applied bar clamps for my KX500, which were 15mm taller and offset than stock, with 1 1/8" holes for the Pro Tapers.
With my KX250 I went with the upper triple clamp assembly but didn't have to, the same parts would have been fine.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Thanks for the reply's Everyone.I kind of figured I wouldn't like the adapter kit that is why I just asked about the mount's.So the pro taper and tag you can purchase just the mounts for the kx and do they come with the top bar clamp.Jsnake can you use the rubber inserts on the bar mounts with the tag's.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
you re-use the stock rubber inserts...the oversize mounts look exactly like the stock 7/8, but with a larger hole. And yes you get oversized top clamps.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Moto Squid
you re-use the stock rubber inserts...the oversize mounts look exactly like the stock 7/8, but with a larger hole. And yes you get oversized top clamps.

Thanks moto squid.. :thumb:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, Applied also has replacement parts for the rubber mounts. I forget what they are made of, but they are a firmer material that do not warp as easily when you drop the bike. Chances are when you pull the bar mounts off you'll see that the OEM rubber mounts are toast, mine were after a few months.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
FWIW, Applied also has replacement parts for the rubber mounts. I forget what they are made of, but they are a firmer material that do not warp as easily when you drop the bike. Chances are when you pull the bar mounts off you'll see that the OEM rubber mounts are toast, mine were after a few months.

I have the scotts,alot harder material.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
bigred455,
I installed my Applied T-Clamp this morning....much better! Didn't get to do a full blown ride due to rain. Took a few laps around the track and trails here at the house. It opened up some space and I could stand up comfortably. Sweet! :yeehaw:

I took off the Pro Taper mounts for the stock T-Clamp. So if you want 'em....$30 and I'll take care of the shipping.

Scott

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Hey scott I sent you a pm,I tried to send this too,you need to clean out your pm.Hey scott,just 1 more thing.They are just the bar mounts and bar clamp,or clamps right?Not the adapter kit.That sucks you cant use the inserts on your new clamp.They should have thought of that.Glad you have more room though..Thanks Keith.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Keith,
The brand is Pro Taper, no off-set :ugg: , 10mm higher if I remember correctly. I'm leaving town this morning but will throw 'em in my bag just in case. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 123

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Darn, looks like I missed out on the Protaper mounts, does anybody know who sells the aftermarket rubber mounts (bushings) from Applied and Scott on the internet?

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bscottr
Keith,
The brand is Pro Taper, no off-set :ugg: , 10mm higher if I remember correctly. I'm leaving town this morning but will throw 'em in my bag just in case. Here's a pic.

Scott,send them, I will give you my address in your pm.Also give me your address,I will send you a postal money order for 30.00 if that is ok with you.SEE YA.

Last edited:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Keith,
Your mailbox is full. Didn't know that I would be nearby until I received your address. I'm just outside Atlantic City in Pleasantville for a few days if you want them quick. Otherwise I'll drop 'em in the mail. Just let me know.

Scott

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I am 25 minutes north of you. CALL ME 856 863- 2623

Top Bottom