061-1.jpg

062-1.jpg

063-1.jpg

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
WOW!!!! Your Grampa has done an amazing job :nod:

Hopefully there will be some video of it :cool: ure

Mind if I borrow a picture for the screensaver?

ladieu229

Sponsoring Member
Jun 17, 2007
go for it dude..

im pummed u want to use it for a walpaper..

haha..

ill try asnd make some walpapers out of it..

whats your favorite pict??

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My favorite is the 2nd one down, with the team Macias sign, bike has a nice stance to it :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nice pictures Max, and Terry the bike looks awesome.

I'll bet Danny Macias would be incredibly proud of the way his friend/student has supported his legacy. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Nice pictures Max, and Terry the bike looks awesome.

I'll bet Danny Macias would be incredibly proud of the way his friend/student has supported his legacy. :cool:

Thank you Rich. I am very proud just to be a part of this.

Thanks Max. The pics turned out great!

And, thanks to our own Big Lou @ 441 Designs. He did the graphics for the signboard. :cool:

Now the real work begins. The bike has to be taken apart and done right. I basically threw it together for the show. The engine will have to be dialed in on the dyno and an exhaust system has to be made. The pipes that are on the bike were only for the show.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
Terry,

This is at least my fourth read through this. It is fun!!! :cool: I tried to p.m. your buddy George to shake his photos/story out onto a thread, but no luck. Besides, I doubt if my harassment would have the same effect without knowledge of my nagging superpowers. I hate to use those on total strangers. Lol. Right.

Nachtsheim- you gotta understand there are a lot of dreamers out here (like myself) who can only enjoy dreaming through the exploits of others because we have neither talent nor imagination. Please post up your project- it is what makes this a great place to hang out. The guys and gals who know machines will be drooling all over their computers with envy.

Thanks Max for keeping a photo record of Gramp's work for us.

Last edited:

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
89r- I was going to ask a question in the macias eulogy post, rather than double posting. However, I think it is archived for all time....(Extremely well written, and in my mind, where I got hooked on this Bonneville story.)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=170180&page=3&pp=10

.... So if you do not mind, I'll ask my question here.

My question:

Has his daughter heard anything in regards to Danny's nomination for the bike hall of fame? I realize the nomination runs multiple years so it isn't a 2009 or never deal... I thought honorees were named around now, even though the induction isn't until fall? Is that correct? I'm a little foggy on the details now. Any updates on that?

It's neat to be doing something for a higher purpose, even if doing it would be just good clean fun in itself. Score on all counts.

Last edited:

nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
ODM2 - I was going to post some photos along with a little history of the project but when I tried I could only get 3 photos loaded at a time and that would just make you pester me for more! Besides I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there, need to put all my time in the shop. I can build or machine most anything but finding my way around a computer is not my bag. If you can give me step by step instructions on how to put in a dozen or so pics along with the text I'd be glad to do so.

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
nachtsheim said:
ODM2 - I was going to post some photos along with a little history of the project but when I tried I could only get 3 photos loaded at a time and that would just make you pester me for more! Besides I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there, need to put all my time in the shop. I can build or machine most anything but finding my way around a computer is not my bag. If you can give me step by step instructions on how to put in a dozen or so pics along with the text I'd be glad to do so.

hmm. I've heard something like this before. The first thought that comes to mind is get a grandson named Max. :cool:

You are right that I would pester for more. :nod: I think maybe one of the mods could help you work a shortcut. By all means get the bike together in time!!! If we (meaning them, the mods) can't figure out a shortcut to getting stuff posted, then we'll have to have you do it after the bike is together. :cool: I'm very interested, so don't figure this is getting you off the hook. I've got very very long naggamemory for an otherwise amnesiac. Thanks for checking in. Looking forward to the stories and pics!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ODM2 said:
89r-
Has his daughter heard anything in regards to Danny's nomination for the bike hall of fame? I realize the nomination runs multiple years so it isn't a 2009 or never deal... I thought honorees were named around now, even though the induction isn't until fall? Is that correct? I'm a little foggy on the details now. Any updates on that?

ODM2.

His daughter was in town for the Trailblazers mc annual banquet and bike show a couple of weeks ago but, I forgot to ask her how that was coming. I will email her and inquire as to what is happening.

I fully understand why George has not posted his pics yet. If I didn't have Max with the trick camera and the ability he has behind it, I would not have the time to do it myself.

ODM2 keep in mind we are just old gear-heads. Nuts 'n bolts kinda guys. The internet is a good place to keep in touch with old friends and share projects but, we leave the tech stuff to the kids who have the time to sit and learn all of that stuff. We don't have the time. The older you get the more you realize, time is your most important asset.

Like George said, there's a long way to go and a short time to get there. Maybe after Bonneville he will have the time to post the photos of his project. I have seen some of them and he is doing a fantastic job. He has handbuilt his entire frame and front end out of aluminum and his frame jig is very unique.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nachtsheim said:
I can build or machine most anything but finding my way around a computer is not my bag. If you can give me step by step instructions on how to put in a dozen or so pics along with the text I'd be glad to do so.

George (or Terry) - Anytime you want you can e-mail me your pictures and I'll build you a little webpage and post links to the pics.

I could do something like this:
http://www.chicagostories.net/Ton_Up_2007/

Once I did the initial work to set it up the it's really easy to take a new group of pictures and crank out the same type of page.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A decision has been made.

Sorry to keep everyone that is planning on going to Bonneville in the dark but, after reviewing all of our options, we have decided to run with the BUB Racing organization.

BUB is motorcycles only and is more 'kick-back'. More like 'the good old days'. The bike will fit into their classes better and require less modification.

Go to bubracing.com and all of the information is there. The dates are from August 30th to September 3rd. We have to be on the salt on August 29th for registration and tech inspection. Those attending will have to buy a gate pass for $20 per day or $80 per week. This gives you full access to the pits.

Anyone that wants to be a member of the pit crew, please let me know as we will have to list your name on the entry form.

We will be staying in the motorhome camping area on the salt but there are motel rooms still available in Wendover. Links to the motels are on BUB's site.

Anyone interested in watching the cars run, the SCTA runs the week before BUB. Go to the Southern California Timing Association web site for info on that.

See you guys on the salt. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A new sponsor to add to the list.

A good friend from my flat tracking days, Paul Benedetti, has offered to pay our entry fee. He will also be a part of our pit crew.

Thank you Paul. What a guy! :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Another new sponsor.

Vince Zine from Titanium Metalurgy in Hollywood California has offered to build our exhaust system. Vince is a master metal worker and a long time friend.

Thank you Vince. :cool:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Let me introduce you to my longtime friend and business associate, Jim Hill. Jim will be our Crew Chief. He is an organizer Par excellence. The perfect guy to get all our ducks-in-a-row. :nod:

Jim and I have enjoyed many adventures together including B to V and the inaugural Cannonball One Lap of America. (I'll tell ya' about that one sometime.) ;) He has also offered to sponsor our fuel for the event.

Thank you Sir. :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Stories, pics, live helmet cam feeds, hear say from some impartial bunch of drinkers or even smoke signals, for us that regrettably can not make it? Bring it on! Potentially, Worlds Fastest Old 89er? And some pics of the pipe when its done, Vince, Vance, how can you go wrong with that? What type of fuel does Jim bring to the table? XXX secret? Any updates on how the salt is doing this year? If I could get there, I would pre-sweep the track for you!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Wolf said:
Awesome thread!!! What a project :cool:

Thanks Wolf. This thing is really starting to come together.

We are now officially signed-up with BUB Racing. Our racing number will be 1891.

No..... :ohmy: That's not the year I was born. :yell: HA! Beat you guys to it. :nener: I picked that number because it is my AMA number 89 with a one in front and a one behind. Number 89 was already taken.

Foxforks. I hope someone will bring a laptop so we can keep you guys informed. I know Rich will bring his camera and Jim is in charge of documentation. Knowing him, we may have a helicopter and a film crew. :laugh: Jim will be supplying us with Alcohol and Nitro methane for the run. This time of year, the salt is probably still pretty wet.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Team Macias update.

Sorry it's been so long since updating this thread. We have been working feverishly to complete the bike and get it ready to test. Many things have changed since the photos were taken after the bike show. The bike has been taken apart and put back together many times. The pipes, rear wheel and brake assembly have changed since the photos were taken along with other minor changes. Thanks to Robby Burg from Classic Restorations for supplying us with the rear wheel.

Yesterday we took it to El Mirage dry lake for testing. The test went very well. On the third run we went 117.1 MPH. This is only 3.7 MPH under Dannys original record. This was on C-12, a 108 octane basic race gas. When we switch to C-14 along with the fuel additives, I feel confident we can break Dannys record at Bonneville.

The wind came up in the afternoon and we found ourselves in a huge dust storm. Had to cut the test short.

My friend Dan Jones took photos and some video of the test and I will post them as soon as he sends them.

Thanks to those that came out to help. :cool:

On to Bonneville. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Top Bottom