Rate these youth bikes... bang for the buck

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
I want to get a bike for my 9 year old, who is a new rider and small for his size. I've got a KTM Pro Jr that will also be given to his 5 year old brother for XMAS, so he's got a bike to learn on. He loves the look of the MX bikes. He sat on a JR80 (27inch seat) and barely hit his tip toes, but he won't be riding this bike for at least 3 monthes. I want to spend $1000-$1500

used KTM 65sx... I really like the KTMs, but is it too tall (29.1 seat)

used KX 60... my favorite youth MX next to the KTM

new JR80... it may be a good trail / mx compromize, but expensive

new KLX110... prefer over the yamaha, but can I find one

new XR70 / used XR80... can't beat $1300 for an 02 or reliability

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A SX65 or KX65 would be the LAST bike I'd put a 9 year old newbie on. Both of them can bite HARD! My son want's a SX65. He's 9 as well but has been riding since he was 4 1/2 and I'm still mulling it over and leaning towards a XR80. You gota' remember learning to ride is going to be a little scary, plus shifting and throttle control, braking.... best to let it happen a little slower than a 2 stroke race bike can deliver.:)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
What about kx65?

What kind of riding will he be doing and do you think he is capable of learning how to operate the clutch properly?

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
I'd like to stay away from the clutch if I could, but...

His 5 year old brother's KTM Pro Jr may help him along the process. I know he's new, but I can't see getting him a beginner bike when his brother already has one he can learn on. I want his 5 year old to have a suitable replacement when he outgrows the Pro Jr in a few years.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ya' might also consider the childs personality. Perfect example is my brother and myself. He got bit when learning to ride and so did I (several times). I still ride and he never did again.:( I think if he had started on a bike more geared to his personality (which would be a mellow forgiving bike to build confidence) things would be different today.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Good point on the personality issue Pantsman. :p

We have a lot of kids come ride with us and by far, the one's on the little 4strokes (XR80's and 100's) have an easier time on our trails.

My son does fine on his 2 strokes on the trails but he lives for dirtbikes and is not easily intimidated (wonder why ;)). He started out at 4 1/2 on an MR50 with a clutch and all. Moved to the KX60 at age 6 and started this season at age 8 1/2 on an 01CR80E (had to put on smaller rims though). He does pretty well on the track, considering he only gets to the track on race day. He does exceptionally well on the trails but, he's been drug through some areas that have challenged me since he started on his 50.

I wouldn't shy away from the clutch. My son picked it up right away and, in my opinion, they need to learn how to use the clutch as soon as they can. I am hoping to get my daughter off of her LEM and onto either the MR or the KX still this season so she gets started on the clutch and shifting.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I would recommend the XR80.
-User friendly(with a clutch which will help his skills)
-Bullet proof-gives him more time on the trail and you less time in the garage.
-No mixing gas
-Easy to resell and hold there value fairly well(here anyway).
-Quiet(if neighbors are a problem).
Get him learned up, and some confidence then sell it, and make the next bike one that his brother can grow into. Like Patman said if he gets bit he may shy away:(
Good Luck

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
While any of the 4 stokes or clutchless bikes would be fine now I would think he would grow out of it quick! If he is going to learn to race and taking in his age and size the kx60 would be hard to beat. the bike is stone reliable
and is able to go as fast as he will want to go. Buying a used one should be easy as there are about a million of them out there. Also the bike is the same from about 1985 to 2001. Just BNG changes along the way.
Kids learn fast! The clutch and big hit wont be a problem for long.
Good Luck Steve

Top Bottom