Hman

Apr 11, 2000
Courtesy of Racer X:

BREA, Calif. (April 2, 2004) – American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) today announced that all-time Supercross/Motocross combined champion Ricky Carmichael signed a multi-year agreement to join Team Suzuki beginning with the 2005 AMA Supercross season.

"We’re absolutely thrilled that Ricky Carmichael will be a part of Team Suzuki in the future," said Mel Harris, ASMC’s Vice President of the Motorcycle/ATV Division. "Hiring Ricky demonstrates Suzuki’s commitment to putting our SX/MX team back on the racing map."

"This is a very exciting time for me. The agreement is multi-faceted and Suzuki will be extremely supportive of me from a racing, marketing and business standpoint," said Carmichael.

With 10 AMA championships, including the past seven consecutive national titles under his belt, the 24-year-old Floridian is excited about joining Team Suzuki and about racing the Suzuki RM250. He is confident not only in his own ability to win more championships, but also in working with a team as committed as Suzuki. He’s also looking forward to working with MX legend Roger DeCoster.

Suzuki Team Manager DeCoster is also excited about the prospects of working with the much-celebrated champion. "I am elated," he said. "Ricky is such a talented rider with tremendous work ethic which will be a great example for Team Suzuki’s young riders. I realize it won’t be easy for him to come back and win after being off due to injury, but I have confidence in Ricky and in how much effort I know that he’s going to put into winning."

The agreement will become effective November 1, 2004.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Isn't Davey a day late with his Arpil Fools news story?

Big news if it's true. Sounds like the MC story all over again.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No it's true, in today's paper here local. We shall see what becomes of this....

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
:ohmy: I am finding it very hard to believe that RC would jump so quickly, i mean lets face it, He doesn't need the money or the glory. So if it is true there must be trouble with the current contract or Honda is making room for JBS :eek:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
490Dave said:
:ohmy: I am finding it very hard to believe that RC would jump so quickly, i mean lets face it, He doesn't need the money or the glory. So if it is true there must be trouble with the current contract or Honda is making room for JBS :eek:
Ya know, I thought Kawasaki made room for JBS (IMHO when they let RC go), you could be right, same thing happening now?

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
Actually i've heard rumors that there's a strong possibility that Bubba will sign on with KTM. (Which I find hard to believe since they were only paying Ryno $80,000.) Aside from RC signing with Suzuki, the rest of the field is still in silly season. :eek:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
You raise a good point, Okie. That is, what the hell IS Kawasaki going to do? They gonna stick to consistent 10th place Byrne and have no factory 125's? Hell, why don't they just give up and drop out?

The only longshot I could think of would be Reed, as he spent the majority of his life on a KX, and might be willing to come back with his friend Byrne there...but I doubt it.

Mar 28, 2004
If ya think about it Honda ALWAYS has the "star"... and with RC out to Suzuki...who could possible filll those shoes...Bubba will have ALL eyes on him next year in the "250" class regardless of who he rides for..and Honda is'nt gonna let him be on any other bike...mark my words

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Devourment 138 said:
Honda is'nt gonna let him be on any other bike...mark my words

I'd tend to agree. :cool:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
honda always buys, err, gets the big star and puts a few championships in its back pocket

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
mxer842 said:
honda always buys, err, gets the big star and puts a few championships in its back pocket

That's what it's all about. What wins on the weekend sells on Monday. :cool: Although even with Bubba spanking everybody in the 125 class and running faster times than Chad Reed at a few of the SX races thus far this year...Kawasaki still isn't selling as much as any of the other brands are. From what I see at the District 6 tracks here...Honda's selling the most, then Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM. Maybe that will change for Kawasaki with these KXF's. :think:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I love it how everybody's an expert on units sold per factory, when no one has access to this information. Since we're all very confident that our local scene predicts national sales (hey, how else would we come up with these theories--er, besides MXA), then Suzuki rules, because they clearly dominate the scene out here. :think:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
My guess is Honda will have either Bubba or Chad on red for next season. Can't see them sitting content with present lineup. Odds are too even :ohmy: ....heck, it is the name of the game, can't fault them for that.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Seems a bit late for April fools...

Seriously, that is some crazy stuff if it is true. I almost feel sorry for Honda as they lost their world champion road racer to Yamaha, and now are losing their champion mx-er to Suzuki...

- BA

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I kinda get the feeling Chad will be on a green bike for 05 too. I think Bubba is going to be able to write any contract he wants, and will be the highest paid rider next year not including endorsments. I suspect Honda may be his team, but they seem to want to control their riders and everything they do. If Reed leaves Yamaha, that's where James will go.
... just my 2 cents

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
RC and Honda split...

Honda dumps another superstar because he is hurt...news at noon! :| This list goes on and on. :ohmy:

Donnie Hansen (His son is on Yamaha's!)
Danny "Magoo" Chandler
Johnny O'Mara (went to Suzuki)
Bob Hannah (also to Suzuki)
David Bailey (Honda even pulled out of his Dad's school)
Doug Henry (comeback with Yamaha's support)
Rick Johnson
Ricky Carmichael (I can't believe this one...to Suzuki!)

I've heard the Stewart's mention (on a number of occasions) that they have decided to stay with the sponsors who helped them all along. James Senior even said to potential sponsors "Where were you when we needed you all along?" :worship: :thumb: I hope they see through the cloud and continue on their path. :clue:

raceing4me

Apr 5, 2004
Does It Relly Matter

:thumb: I DO NOT THINK IT RELY MATTERS WHAT RICKY RIDES IN ANY SEASON. I KNOW THAT TH EFANS WILL FOLLOW NO MATTER WHAT HE IS ON. I PERSONALLY DO NOT CARE MUCH FOR SUZUKIES BUT, RICKY IS MY BIGGEST FAN AND I WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH HIS RIDES AS LONG AS HE RACES. :)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
RC could win on a Trail 70 :)

Oh wait... that is a Honda!

Top Bottom