dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
what do you mean ........who's Buckwheat

sorry i ripped this from another thread but i had to

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I've seen it mentioned several times here, so could somebody explain the "Jiff" Ramsey reference?! :coocoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
pace said:
I've seen it mentioned several times here, so could somebody explain the "Jiff" Ramsey reference?! :coocoo:
neither of the guys in that picture remind you of anyone??

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ellandoh said:
neither of the guys in that picture remind you of anyone??

The white guy looks kind of like Steve Martin.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
"Hey, I don't like you, so I'm gonna make fun of how you look." :coocoo: We've got "Jiff" Ramsey, Buckwheat....how 'bout another black/****** comparison? Keep 'em coming you brilliant guys, you. :| This is exciting, bein' all 2nd grade 'n stuff.

Personally, I think he looks like McCauley Culkin.. ;)

B

biglou

Like someone else pointed out in another thread, Bobby Bowfinger is Steve Martin's character in the movie "Bowfinger". I don't think Bubba looks anything like Steve Martin...

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
nephron said:
"Hey, I don't like you, so I'm gonna make fun of how you look." :coocoo: We've got "Jiff" Ramsey, Buckwheat....how 'bout another black/****** comparison? Keep 'em coming you brilliant guys, you. :| This is exciting, bein' all 2nd grade 'n stuff.
I don't remember you getting this upset over the leprechaun stuff?!?! What about us Irish Americans?!?! Don't we deserve equal outrage?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The Bowfinger (Martin) character is a smart-ass that has a habit of saying the wrong thing. The reference was first used to describe Bubba when he was running his mouth.

No racial element at all.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
James said:
I don't remember you getting this upset over the leprechaun stuff?!?!

The leprechaun stuff is presumably in reference to his modest stature, not his race - I don't detect an Irish accent in Ricky's post-race interviews.

The Buckwheat reference was clearly a racial slur. I just think it's lame that folks can't come up with more imaginative ways to poke fun at the guy than post pictures of goofy black TV characters.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Buckwheat was Bob Hannah's nickname . . .

I thought that was what whoever it was that said it was referring to.

and Leprechauns, they are just creepy. smell like cabbage.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
KX_Ken said:
I sure don't like Buckwheat :p but if the kid wins a 250 title you have to give him some respect as a rider.

Can't imagine that was in reference to Hannah, although there are certainly similarities in the way that he and Stewart run their mouths.

I never have gotten close enough to RC to catch a whiff. The same can be said of most of the 250 field.

I'll take your word on the cabbage thing, though. ;)

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
pace said:
I never have gotten close enough to RC to catch a whiff. The same can be said of most of the 250 field.

I'll take your word on the cabbage thing, though. ;)
Now THAT'S funny :) but it's carneys, that smell like cabbage and have small hands

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
pace said:
The leprechaun stuff is presumably in reference to his modest stature, not his race - I don't detect an Irish accent in Ricky's post-race interviews.
Think about it, do African Americans have African accents???

I am pretty sure that red hair, freckles, and Carmichael are pretty good indicators of Irish descent.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
James said:
Think about it, do African Americans have African accents???

I am pretty sure that red hair, freckles, and Carmichael are pretty good indicators of Irish descent.

I'm not really down with this whole 'African American', 'Irish American' thing. If you weren't born in Ireland, you never lived in Ireland, and heck you never even visited Ireland, then you sure as hell are not Irish in my book. Any more than Stewart is African. Sorry if that offends, but hey I was born in England and my kids were born in the USA. We don't go 'round telling folks they're 'English American'. :moon:

Red hair and freckles? Just as likely to be of Scottish descent. And actually, 'red hair' is not exclusively a 'Celtic gene' phenomenon anyway.

Carmichael? Here you go..

http://www.carmichael.co.uk/clan/origins.htm

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am not "down with" the whole Irish American thing either. Obviously, the sarcasm intended has gone over your head and that is fine with me, I have never been the best at interent communication. It has also been pointed out that red hair and freckles were 2 of 3 (three) items that I used to conclude Irish - see the German example above. More selective reading on your part I assume. Yes, it may be a Scottish Carmichael as opposed to an Irish one, but no sense splitting hairs on that as his exact ancestry wasn't really the point.

The simple point is: nobody thinks twice about comparing Carmichael to a "goofy" white/Irish/leprechaun cartoon character, but then get overly and dramatically outraged when it appears that bubba might be compared to an African American/"black" character. I don't really care either way, just pointing out what appears to be convenient hypocritical PC BS, in my opinion.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Yeah, I missed the sarcasm. Still don't see it, sorry.

I agree that it probably shouldn't be any more socially acceptable to poke fun at a guy's height than his race, but there you have it. I'm a short guy, and I suck it up.

There was no selective reading on my part. You're just misinformed on the origins of the cultural traits you mentioned. None of them suggest that RC has Irish descent. Well.. maybe the shillelagh and the pot of gold, but that's mostly circumstantial evidence.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
So your brilliant deduction is the nobody named Carmichael ever claimed to be an Irish national and that the only resemblance RC shares with the Leprechaun is his height??

Doesn't surprise me that you didn't see the sarcasm.

Those traits do SUGGEST he is of Irish/Scottish descent. I picked Irish since we were talking about Leprechauns and didn't think it would spiral into an endless battle of details. Prove he has no Irish in his family tree and you win.

Last edited:

pace

Nov 21, 2003
James said:
So your brilliant deduction is the nobody named Carmichael ever claimed to be an Irish national and that the only resemblance RC shares with the Leprechaun is his height??

..that, and the pot of gold. :)

You're taking this too seriously. I was only disputing the assertion of red hair, freckles, and the name Carmichael indicating Irish origins. It's not worth arguing about - if you go read about his name you'll figure it out.

[Edited for brevity]

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom