BigDylan

Sep 12, 2005
I plan on making a trip out to Little Sahara within a couple of months and i was wondering what type of gearing i should run on my 02 CR250 to make it good in the sand

I would assume I would want more top end but I am new to the bikes I have been there several times on quads

what would you suggest give me a couple of sizes up front and i will get both of em if i need to

Thanks
Dylan

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'd leave the gearing stock or however you have it now. The biggest thing that will help you out is by running a paddle tire. I've been in the sand with a knobbie on the rear and it's just plain cruel to the rider. :)

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
Stock gearing should be fine for the dunes. Just make sure you get a paddle tire that your bike can spin without having any problems.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
BigDylan said:
yeah i know that i already have a paddle
but you think that stock gearing will do?

Greenie said:
I'd leave the gearing stock or however you have it now.

I think I answered that part, didn't I? :think:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Little Saraha is awsome, I spent a month there on a KX250 a little while ago. The cheng shin (sp?) paddle tire is actually very good quality and holds up better than the expensive skat-track's. I'd recomend the 8 paddle option for the 250cc bikes and 10 for 500cc two strokes.

Stock gearing will be fine, there are not very many places where you'd be able to use more top speed than stock, but there are a few instances where its fun....

You'll be able to come down the mountian faster with taller gearing. I'd buy a +1 tooth sprocket for the front just for kicks. It worked well on my KX250:)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
yeah, use stock gearing.

which little sahara do you go to? oklahoma or utah?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Make sure you richen the jetting alittle. Leave the gearing as it is, and buy a sprocket and bring it along, if you dont like the way the gearing is the way you have, change out the sprocket while your there.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
oops, I didn't know there were two, I went to the one in UT. I'd only richen the jetting if your on the verge of being lean now. If like most people you are riding around with it a bit too rich already you don't have to worry about richening it up for the extra load. Also, take into account the elevation of the dunes compared to whever you are now. I know going from VA (sea level) to Little Saraha UT (way above sea level) I had to go a few sizes leaner on all jets to make my KX250 run well.

Top Bottom