Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
UPDATE:
Heads-up... working on a way to separate these topics from the site ...
If you'd like to get involved, PM me.

There are some current event threads in this (Flame) forum. If you intend to post, STOP AND THINK before typing. You are welcome to discuss the issues, be adult about it.

No Hate.
No political party bashing (if you think these issues are party related, you are already over your head in regard to the topic; you need to research more before typing).
No religious, racial, etc., comments.
Everyone is allowed an opinion, it's not your job to prove them wrong.
Post your opinion and let it stand on it's own merit. "You are wrong" posts will be deleted.

The mods reserve the right to delete posts/threads without explanation and without warning. Don't like it, don't take the time posting and move along to other subjects.

I'm going against the grain here allowing these topics, most of the mods are against it and it very well may turn out that they are right, we'll see soon enough.

I feel there are major issues out there that effect our daily lives, bigger issues than we've faced before. As long as the discussions are civil and not destructive, they can continue. The minute it goes sour, it's over.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Okiewan said:
I feel there are major issues out there that effect our daily lives, bigger issues than we've faced before.

Thanks Bob.

I agree that there are issues today like we have never had before. At least in my lifetime. It is up to the older members of this site to let the younger members know what is going on. The reason you see mostly older people at these political rallys is the older people remember what our country was like when they were young. They have seen the attack on our freedoms and personal wealth. They have lived it. They are outraged by what they see this government doing. I know that I am.

Many younger people don't think about this stuff until it is too late. I cannot believe what is happening to my United States right now. If we ALL don't stop this right now, freedom will be a thing of the past.

Thanks again. :cool:

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
I come to this site to talk motorcycles and escape the daily grind. I can not understand why some want to make political statements on this site that do not involve riding or the sport motorcycling.

I don't agree with the direction we, the United States is headed, or that the goverment knows what's best for me, and I'm definitly tired of losing more of my rights year after year, but I do not come here to make political statements. I come here to talk about motorcycles.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
T_Bois said:
I don't agree with the direction we, the United States is headed, or that the goverment knows what's best for me, and I'm definitly tired of losing more of my rights year after year, but I do not come here to make political statements. I come here to talk about motorcycles.

T_Bois.

You say you are tired of losing more of your rights year after year. I am a bit older than most of the members on here and in my lifetime I have seen many of my rights lost. These rights also include where and when I can ride my dirtbike. If we all don't become involved in politics and stop this madness, we will have no rights and our motorcycles will be the least of our worries.

Government run health care is a big topic right now. How does this relate to motorcycles? If the government takes over our health care, dirtbikes and racing will be considered a dangerous activity. Do you think your injuries will be covered by government run health care? Not a chance.

We had better ALL get involved in politics. If we don't, we will have a lot of time to talk about motorcycles because we sure as hell won't be allowed to ride them.

Just my $ .02

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
Ol'89r said:
Thanks Bob.

I agree that there are issues today like we have never had before. At least in my lifetime. It is up to the older members of this site to let the younger members know what is going on. The reason you see mostly older people at these political rallys is the older people remember what our country was like when they were young. They have seen the attack on our freedoms and personal wealth. They have lived it. They are outraged by what they see this government doing. I know that I am.

Many younger people don't think about this stuff until it is too late. I cannot believe what is happening to my United States right now. If we ALL don't stop this right now, freedom will be a thing of the past.

Thanks again. :cool:

Just a side note to agree with you in a different direction..

a couple of years ago the school board in my community wanted to build a new 30million dollar school in a borough that was already filled to itd borders. This is a district that had a graduating class of about 50 kids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrisville,_Bucks_County,_Pennsylvania#Demographics ... well going to the meetings and protesting was mostly retirees, I was one of the few "working poor" of course the retirees were concerned of how they where going to pay for this living on a fixed income.... I stood up to say my situation... when I first bought my house .. my mortgage(all included) was approximately 1.5 paychecks 12 years later my morgage was 2.5 weeks of paychecks .. now my loan did not go up, it was only the taxes that where raised and now I was actually paying more in taxes then the loan........ also at this time work was slowing down and I was down to 35 to 45 hours a week compared to the 60 I was trying to get........

So I explain all this saying you are going to force me out of my house with a school we don't need...... I was told by one of the board members that it sounded like I needed to get a 2nd job.... well luckily articulation was on my side at that moment...."You would really like that, so noone would have time to come to these meetings and keep an eye on you wouldn't you.Have you noticed that not too many people of the working class are here? That is because they are working or are sleeping trying to get rest so they can go to work so they can pay their taxes to help this community, as an elected payed official what are YOU doing to actually help?"

well before I moved out of town the people of Morrisville actualy had to hire(out of our own pockets) an attorney to sue the school board ,I really haven't kept up too much since I moved but I know the school is not being built and there is a lot of shenanigans still being ironed out.

it is for your own good for you to get involved to keep the politicians working for you,, they will lie to you to get elected,tax you to get payed, and if you don't constantly keep banging on their door they will sell your interests to the highest bidder to pad their wallet. I mean if you don't care they sure as heck won't

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I read the following quote recently and immediately made it my signature:

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

Plato

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff... but, I don't think T_Bois meant to say he doesn't want to hear it, I think he means he just doesn't want to hear it here. Maybe we should make a "current events" type sub forum for all this stuff, easy to avoid if you don't want to see the stuff?

We had a political forum before, which started due to 9-11 ... it didn't turn out well, too much arguing, finger pointing, etc. If we make a new forum, it won't be a place to piss each other off, rather just a place to discuss what's going on out there, for those who want to read it.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
BadgerMan said:
I read the following quote recently and immediately made it my signature:

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

Plato

The problem is that a lot of people they only get involved in political discussions on web boards or while sitting at the bar drinking. They rarely, if ever, write letters, pick up the phone or attend a meeting to voice their opinion.

I do not like to argue politics online (especially on a dirtbike site) because I would rather have my discussions and disagreements with those who actually are in office because those are the minds I want to change and those are the people I want to hold accountable.

Ivan

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
You know, instead just sitting around trying to re-program each other, is it possible that we could have/maintain a forum to share ideas regarding political involvement and how to affect change, above and beyond obvious methods such as voting?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Bob,
I will support you on allowing these important topics, as well as, support you if your remove them. As Ol'89r has stated, many of us have seen major losses in our freedoms and the current political agenda in the forefront could make the losses "we've" seen in our life times seem insignificant.
It is easy to fall into the rhetoric and repeat it again and again. Hopefully,(myself included) everyone will think there ideas thru and present their opinions honestly.
T_Bois, glad to see you've come to DRN to talk dirtbikes. DRN means quite a bit to many of us. Many of us are family and as such, we talk about lots of different things including politics, when Okie allows.:laugh: Some very serious issues are unfolding and I for one home that many, if not all of them, unravel.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okiewan said:
Heads-up... working on a way to separate these topics from the site ...
If you'd like to get involved, PM me.
OK, Okie.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I will support ya either way. However it has been a while since I had a good constitutional lesson from that lawyer in OH. Ahh the good ole days.

Top Bottom