uts

Jan 8, 2004
Mine has always pushed through quite easily. Give it a light tap with a suitibly sized piece of pipe or somethin. Don't get too carried away though, hate to cost you money on my advice.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN TENSIONERS ARE LOOSE ALSO!

I've been down this road as well. my soution was a bigger hammer, while being careful to not bash up the threads or mushroom the end.

Take a block of wood between hammer and axle. Once you get it moving a little apply liberal amounts of penetrating oil. Once it is flush with the swingarm, I believe I used a 3/4" socket extension directly against the axle. Whatever you use for this part make sure it close to the same size as the axle, while not going inside the hole in the end of the axle.

Bash repeatedly, with a steady stream of profanity and penetrating oil. :)

And once you do get it outta there, apply a good amount of neverseize. I personally use a mixture of neversieve and 80w90 oil but the neversieze by itself will work fine. It'll slide in and out like buttah.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Righto, I'm feeling inspired now. :)

Any ideas as to why it may be stuck? It is likely that my bearings are shot, isn't it?

Thanks.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
buck_y_lee said:
Righto, I'm feeling inspired now. :)

Any ideas as to why it may be stuck? It is likely that my bearings are shot, isn't it?

Thanks.

Corrosion or bent.

Beat that bad boy. If you have access to air, an air chisel with a pointy tip makes short work of removal.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
My friendly old tool-maker neighbour has air. What's an air chisel (pardon my dopeyness)?

I'm a bit worried about bending the swingarm while bashing away at the axle.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Mine was stuck in there too ... to get it out we had to hammer it,
1) we put the nut back on to the threads almost flush with the end of the axle, then put a piece of wood on the nut and hammered until it was flush up against the swing arm.
2) then we removed the nut and used a 3/4" extended socket to push it through as far as the socket would push it, at this point the axle was pushed out the other side far enough to grab it with a pair of visegrips(not too tight) and hammered on the visegrip to remove it completely.
3)Before reinstalling the axle, we wire brushed (in a press drill) all along the axle, then gave it a good coat of grease.
The next time i took out the axle it came out by hand
also while you have it apart remember to grease your chain adjuster bolts, you don't want these seizing up in the swingarm ( I learned the hard way)
Good Luck
Tom

hsv2112

Oct 23, 2004
i too have had a siezed axle, it was seized were the axle goes threw the support for the rear calipper all i did was sprayed some wd-40 on it and let it soak in and sprayed some more on in then got a peice of wood and a hammer and gave a belt and when it started moving i kept spraying wd-40 on it and kept belting it

wildbill2

Mar 13, 2004
I have problem with removing the rear axle.When I was trying to remove the axle I noticed a spacer was not sliding but seemed to be stuck.How do you free a spacer up?Sooner or later I will have to pull the back wheel and I dread it :bang: Any tips or ideas?Thanks. :think:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
BBdotcom said:
Wouldn't that kind of chisel do a number on his axle?

Usually not. If you use a pointy tip it fits right into the taper that leads into the hole through the axle.

If the axle is stuck badly enough that you need to resort to this, either it is already bent or it is galled up badly by corrosion and no amount of wire brushing and anti-seize will keep it from being an issue in the future.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Swingarm pivot shafts and Rear Axles are similar. I recently battled the pivot shaft on an old bike. A heavy hammer made a little progress, but when I switched to my air hammer with a punch point end it went much better. The spacer that goes over the shaft had rusted to the shaft quite well. Lots of liquid wrench and working it back and forth finally got it.

sx_dude

Nov 3, 2004
axle

on my rm125 it got stuck all i did slap loads of wd40 reound end of axle and hit the end with the thread with a rubber malat not a hammer coz u will cush ya thread then look at the other side to see if it's cumin out if it looks like ya swgin arms bending out hit the swigin arm bk in this is on the other side of the bike the way the axle will come out just keep doin that until it comes out. when u put it bk in clean the axle up and copper grease it and it should be fine

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I can attest to the aforementioned. The wheel spacers can corrode to the wheel bearing too and I've also experienced seized chain tensioners. :bang:

Top Bottom