Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
I believe that this is the first re-build that the shock has had (1991 KDX200). There was very little nitrogen in the shock, I suspect that I will notice the difference after the rebuild.
Question: should I use a new clip on the shock body ??
2nd Question: has anyone ever repainted the spring. Do they powered coat it ??? what is the cost normally.

tks Darrin
1991 KDX200
1999 DR650

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
As an engineer, 385 degrees should have no effect on spring steel. The spring is affected by the elastic modulus of steel and is essentially independent of hardness and heat treatment. Steel can be embrittled at higher temperatures (600 to 1000 degrees F). There are also many types of aluminum that will be embrittled at 385F. The spring is not aluminum so you should be good. But, I know powdercoat is a great paint but can it stand up to the flexing it will get on the spring. There is a lot of movement in that spring. Will it crack the powdercoat?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Ok good to know, though I believe some powders are put on at different heats, the temp extent I don’t know.

Someone had warned me about possible aluminium embrittlement of powder coated ally wheels (after I had some done of course) & another mentioned it when I was going to do my spring so I got it painted in 2 pack.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
Powdercoating is the prefered finish for most automotive racing springs and it looks like that is also what is on most bike springs. You can't beat it for longevity.

Top Bottom