2swift

Jun 10, 2005
Whats up fellas.. I'm new to the site & I've got a question! I just bought me a a Yamaha YZ250F, which also comes w/ a red sticker, my problem is, I live in L.A. & I dont know of any areas where I can take my bike w/ that red sticker because of summer & all! Do you guys know of any spots near the L.A. area where I can take my bike & not worry about getting harrassed?
Thanx!

2SwifT!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928 is the state's approved list for trails that are red sticker legal. Not much (if any) around LA. You may have to travel or stick to the race tracks.

2swift.

dirt bike dave is correct, you may be confined to race tracks only at this time of the year. Near LA is Hungry Valley MX and LACR, (LA County Raceway). Check out www.ProRide.com for a list of race tracks near you. There are places in the desert that you can ride during the summer where the red sticker thing is not such an issue. Not necessarily legal places though, they just aren't patrolled like the National parks are.

2swift

Jun 10, 2005
Thanx for the quick responses guys! Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to jump on one of these tracks, being it will be my first time on the 250 & not having much experience w/ dirt bikes even thought I'm familiar w/ quads?
What are some of the closests desert areas to L.A.?
Thanx again for helping me out! I just want to get out there and ride!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you go to the track, start out at the smaller ones, get used to track rules. Keep your line, always, don't make u-turns on the track, don't stop on jump landings and be curtious to other riders. Watch what others do, you can learn from that as well. Good luck!

X

xyourlocaldjx

desd

2swift said:
Thanx for the quick responses guys! Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to jump on one of these tracks, being it will be my first time on the 250 & not having much experience w/ dirt bikes even thought I'm familiar w/ quads?
What are some of the closests desert areas to L.A.?
Thanx again for helping me out! I just want to get out there and ride!

Yo, shoot me an email. wheelookatme@hotmail.com

I'm from torrance and I've got two bikes that are "supposed" to be red sticker but i've got legal green stickers on both :)

Hit me up, lets smash out to the track

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xyourlocaldjx said:
I've got two bikes that are "supposed" to be red sticker but i've got legal green stickers on both :)

Don't recommend doing that. It is very easy for the rangers to tell if your bike should have a green sticker or a red one. They just have to look at the vin #. Also, the sticker has a registration number that can be traced.

X

xyourlocaldjx

Ol'89r said:
Don't recommend doing that. It is very easy for the rangers to tell if your bike should have a green sticker or a red one. They just have to look at the vin #. Also, the sticker has a registration number that can be traced.

who said they were off another bike?
They're both registered and the vin matches the sticker.

my 450 has no 3 or c in the vin and the green sticker for the 125 was handed to me at the dmv office... I'm not stupid enough to put a sticker on from another bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xyourlocaldjx said:
who said they were off another bike?
They're both registered and the vin matches the sticker.

I'm not stupid enough to put a sticker on from another bike.

Well, excuse me all to hell. :yikes: :laugh:

2swift

Jun 10, 2005
How did you manage to get a green sticker?
All the performance bikes after the year 2002 get the red sticker!
I hate that law!
I plan on heading down past the border next weekend to hit up some spots over there! They dont believe in the sticker crap!

X

xyourlocaldjx

Ol'89r said:
Well, excuse me all to hell. :yikes: :laugh:

dont take that post too seriously! ahah didnt mean it to come out like it seemed.

But yea... Some how i lucked out twice. my 125 was purchased when the dmv didnt have their stuff together... Well they still dont have their stuff together because they handed me another green sticker for the 450 lol.. No complaints here.

I just renewed my registration on my 125... lets see what happens this time. I'm sure it'll be a red sticker. I should of walked into the dmv to pick it up :(

My 450 i could care less if it was red or green. I converted it into a supermoto bike anyhow. Going to try and weasle my way into making it street legal. its almost the weekend! enjoy your fathers day weekend ya'll!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
xyourlocaldjx said:
dont take that post too seriously! ahah didnt mean it to come out like it seemed.

Going to try and weasle my way into making it street legal. QUOTE]

That's ok xyourlocaldjx. I'm just messin' with ya buddy. As the resident crotchety old fart of the Crew, that's my job. :cool: ;) I don't take anything very seriously. Ok, I take land access issues pretty seriously, but the rest is just in fun. :rotfl:

You are correct, DMV is pretty screwed up right now. Seems like there are only a couple of DMV offices that know what they are doing. Eventually they will probably catch their mistake and replace it with a red sticker.

I have one of those street legal CRF450's. Although mine's an '02. If yours is newer than an '02, I doubt that you will be able to get a plate.

Ol'89r

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
I'm new to the board. I thought I would chime on in. But correct if I am wrong........

Dante's question was never answered. I thought that the thumpers got green stickers too. What gives. I have a 05' CRF250X, and I got a green sticker. That and also if your bike is 97' or older for you two stroke riders.

2swift

Jun 10, 2005
WTF?! Does that mean the Yamaha's are more dangerous than the Honda's, because I went to Berts mega mall, the Yamaha dealer & another dealer, & they all told me all the Yamaha yz250f's are red tagged! I guess I should've went w/ a Honda! DAM!
Is your Honda electric start?

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
I think the green stickers are for air quality. Because if you look at the times of year that red stickers can ride. Green stickers are for year round riding. I don't think it has anything to do with E-start or not. maybe look into what the CRF250r is. A green or a red.

X

xyourlocaldjx

crf 450x and crf 250x's are totally different bikes. Those are for trail riding. Totally toned down version of the motox bike.

to sum it up... every bike is a red sticker except the crf 250x's 450x's 230's 125's play bikes etc.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Worse case, they'll have you go back to DMV and get the right ones.

2swift

Jun 10, 2005
I plan on going out somewhere myself, w/ my bro & nephews, just not sure where! Might not be able to take my 250 anywhere since its red tagged! So might ride a 250 quad that I have! Better than not riding at all! Where are you riding? What kind of street bike did you have?

Section 8

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not too sure... all my buddies rode some chauilla track or something near SD. I was supposed to go but had to do something for the old man last minute. I'm not sure where i'm going to ride, maybe a track or something... who knows.

i had an f4i before, two buddies passed away so i sold it and bought a crf 450 and made it into a motard.

2swift

Jun 10, 2005
Dam! That sucks about your friends! I've had a few friends go down, but none that passed away!
What track might you hit up, cuz I might be checkin out a track to see what I can do!
So, if you see a rider holding up traffic on a YZ250F.. That might be me!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom