Ride Report: Race Tech .44 Fork Springs

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I finally upgraded the fork springs on my '03 220. All I can say is wow! This really helped the bike out. The front end is actually stable now, whereas before it was all about washing out-even in good conditions. The front end will stick where you put it. We rode yesterday in 16* weather, with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. The front end was sticking, only washed out once. For those debating on doing the spring upgrade, don't wait. This should be first on your list - after the free mods (airbox lid, jetting)....
I weigh in at 180 without gear, and this has been one of the best things I've done for my bike so far.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Thanks for the report, John. I just bought .44's also, but I weigh about 220 with gear. I haven't installed them yet, and I was worried they might be too stiff. So it's good to hear you're happy with them.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Dumb question ... but I thought softening the front suspension reduced washout because the front end doesn't blast through berms? Maybe that only applies to MX conditions ... or maybe I'm just plain wrong!

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I think the way the stock springs were (in my case anyway) that the forks were already down into the "meat" of the travel, just by sitting on the bike. This made the forks less effective, a result of the "bike geometry" being screwwy due to the angle on the fork (and lost travel). I could be wrong though. All I know is that the new springs made a HUGE difference. The bike no longer "squats" or settles just by sitting on it, giving me back that couple of inches I was losing with the stockers.
The .44s will probably suit you perfectly, toys. I had the clickers set in the middle, and I was a little bouncy over the rough, fast stuff. I think a few clicks "softer" and it'll be just about right. I need to get the rear setup (sag, etc) before I go again. The clickers in the rear are one click out from stock, which is jsut about right. This girl is going to ride like a Cadillac when I'm finished!

Top Bottom