medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I was fortunate this weekend to be invited to ride on some beautiful secluded private trails and had permission to ride neighboring property which has power lines on it. I had a blast and learned and fell a lot. Is it illegal to ride under powerlines? They weren't the real Big ones but if they were, could I be arrested or fined? Has anyone been naughty and done that?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have never been hassled over power line roads, or an occasional crossing. I generally stay away from steel! They monitor via helicopter. The railroad is another story, they drive around. Its trespassing, and do not get hurt on their property. Vintage Bob

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
Rail lines are only laid on railroad property.
Power lines are either on public land or private easements where you need the property owners permission. Only the poles or towers are property of the power company. So just don't touch any poles or towers.

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Medwaste, we have a power line near our place and its somewhat confusing what the rules are. Some of the power line is on State land and some is on private property that is clearly marked with “No Trespassing” signs. A few years ago the DNR put up signs like the one below on part of a two track running along the power line on State land that locals have used for years. Interestingly, they only put the signs up on part of this two-track and that adds to the confusion. I asked our local CO about whether plated street legal dirt bikes could access the two track and he said legally we could, but he would appreciate it if we would stay off it anyway. We are guessing the reason for his request that we stay off it is that if people see tracks going up and down it they will do the same. We have stayed off the power line, but doesn’t appear that anyone else has and the DNR has been writing tickets when they catch four wheelers or bikes on it.

This information probably doesn’t help you at all, but if you see the No ORV signs posted along a power line, I’d be careful.

004-5.jpg

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
So far so good. No posted signs. The poles are so far off the road I can't believe they would be monitored. But those Big Steel Ones look so tempting, the land's cleared around them and they're on a big hill....when I googled the area, the power company owns the land so I'll stay away.

Top Bottom