Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Who does it and do you have as much of a problem as I do? I don't know if it's a combination of not blinking enough, dusty conditions, and the jarring of the bumps but I have a hell of a time riding in contacts. And before you ask, yes I do wear goggles. I've even had one of them fall out into my goggles before. Unless i'm just putting around in the woods, i pretty much have to wear my glasses. Anyone else have similar problems and maybe can offer some tips as to what works?

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
I have been riding with contacts for years, "the weekly type accuvue advanced",
and have had no real problems except with certain goggles at fast speeds.
The scotts high voltage tend to allow too much air in at high speeds and dry my contacts out, but i still love these goggles and continue to wear them.
The old scotts 89 style worked good.
Maybe try putting a couple of eye drops in, right before heading out?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I wore contacts for many years before having Lasix, but I would take my contacts out when riding.

For me, the contacts would always dry out and get uncomfortable. I had them pop out, too. Rarely ever had a problem with contacts in day-to-day life, but they just did not work for me when riding.

I found I was much happier riding with my glasses, covered by a large frame goggle.

The biggest problem with glasses under goggles is they will fog much easier than a goggle alone. I would have a ROKO strap so that I could easily remove the goggles with one hand in case they started to fog up. The roko strap is your best friend if you wear glasses while riding.

http://www.amazon.com/Roko-Sports-Quick-Strap-Black/dp/B001A6CLNC

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I don't have any problem wearing glasses except for the fact that I can't find my old ones and my new ones are too wide to fit in my helmet. So i was hoping there was a trick to wearing contacts but it sounds like I'm screwed. My vision is too bad to just go without anything. I'd get headaches and run into stuff. :)

May 10, 2007
Deadohiosky39 said:
My vision is too bad to just go without anything. I'd get headaches and run into stuff. :)

i have the same problem but my contacts have never bothered me while riding. ever. i would just put a few drops in a small eyedropper and carry it with you. i would just put it in my toolbag. that way whenever you stop you can put a few drops in.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the contacts are fitted properly, and you have not wrecked your eyes from abuse when you was younger, then no problems. When I was younger I always rode and raced with contacts. Much better depth and peripheral vision. And with glasses on sharp impacts they jar/move, ain't no way around that. Now when I try them its not good, they move, dry out and fall out. The optometrist always asks while looking at my eyes how long I have been wearing them, but never refuses to sell them to me, #%@#^! Ah the lasik thing, it has ome a long way. I am still concerned I will lose my close up detail vision. My eyes are VERY bad also, far sighted. I am responsible for getting the air force to change there rules on glasses back in 70 something. Overall it suks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I guess if you are riding short periods of time like a moto, contacts might work out better than if you are doing 6+ hour, 60 mile loops of dusty trails.

I tried moistening them with drops on long rides, making sure I blinked alot, etc... and they still got uncomfortable. Everybody's different, I guess, but I could just never make them comfortable to wear on a long ride. I think the main problem was the airflow drying the eyes out.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
dirt bike dave said:
I think the main problem was the airflow drying the eyes out.
That is what makes wearing contacts difficult over the years. The surface of your eye is not getting enough air, old, dirty and the originals did not flow well to begin with. I believe it does permanent damage. Get the best ones that breathe, clean and change often. Or lasik.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Use fresh contacts, and keep the rewetting drops as handy as possible. I ride with contacts all the time with no problems. Contacts bother me more on the road.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I do have a habit of wearing them for an extended period of time so maybe that's my problem.

You know what they say, this younger generation is lazy, and I'm often too lazy to take them out. College has been a good weight loss plan for me because I find that I'm too lazy to cook for myself so I just go with out food. I miss mom's food..... haha

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now if only it would get warmer. The negative temps in this part of the country are ridiculous. We need to bring back the two strokes so we can speed up this global warming.

shouldabeen

Dec 20, 2008
I race motocross with contacts but get the high end just for racing like the oasis style. you may also need to pull them to re-wet and your good to go.

Top Bottom