RM 65 fluid leaks. Split the cases??

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
My son has an 2003 RM 65. It has been a great bike, and is still in great shape, but some little things are starting to crop up. First off oil is starting to slowly seep from around his counter shaft sprocket. Only about 2 drops on the floor after 3 days or so. I went to the dealership at the parts counter they pulled up the diagrahm and he said he only saw an o-ring on the outside of the case and he thought what was leaking was the case seal for the counter sprocket shaft. I don't want to split the cases if I don't have to.
Secondly and more importantly, the oil is starting to get a small amount of coolant in it. This happened on my bike and I replaced a water pump seal. The same parts guy said there is no seal like that on the 65, and that again I would have to change a seal by splitting the cases.
If there is anyone that has any experience with these problems on the RM/KX 65, please let me know.

Thanks,

LaRider20

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the parts guy is a doofus! There is a seal around a spacer and an o-ring behind it. the seal seals the outside of the spacer that keeps the sprocket pushed out. thats most likely the culprit. But get the o-ring too.
In the water pump there are two seals, one thick and one thin. they will both need replacment.

you can get the entire seal kit for under $20. Tell the parts guy to order the moose seal kit or similar from parts unlimited instead of the kawi one.

You can replace the seals for both the counter shaft and water pump without splitting the case. you will need to remove the right side clutch cover for the water pump though.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I knew it! I thought, "there's no way they are going to build this bike without the seals you described". Thanks for your input.

Troy

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
The countershaft seal has been a problem for me too, what ive seen is the seal when installed barely makes contact with inside of seal collar, i used a kx85 seal last time it is a double seal type instead of single. Where are you seeing water in oil, the sight glass fogs up and look like emulsified oil actually look at your oil if its not milky it might be your sight glass.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I have seen what you're talking about in the sight glass. Usually when the bike has been ran awhile. Last time I changed the oil it had an unusual tint.

Troy

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
LaRider20 said:
I have seen what you're talking about in the sight glass. Usually when the bike has been ran awhile. Last time I changed the oil it had an unusual tint.

Troy
First off are you loosing coolant? If so how much in a long ride? If it is getting into the oil it will look like a milkshake when you drain it

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
If coolant is being lost, it's an extremely small amount. I cannot tell that any coolant is missing looking in the radiator. When drained, the oil has an unusual tint to it. The bike has not been rode in any water. I've been changing the oil in the bike for two years now and know that it's different the last two oil changes. I have taken Jasle's advice and ordered the Moose seal kit, and will proceed from there.

Thanks,

Troy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom