fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I'm looking for any San Diego dual-sporters. I know there are places that people ride that are illegal but no one bothers you. I live in Carlsbad and see tons of places to go but am a little cautious in trying them out. I'm also a mountain biker and am worried about running into other bikes.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Hey Fred, I'm the guy that was up at Elsinore awhile back with the yellow YZ400. I recently went riding down near Otay Mesa and had a blast. You can't ride on the hill side of the valley on the Palm Ave. exit anymore but if you get off on the last exit before the crossing and head over to the East side of 805 you can see TONS of trails up on the hillside. Follow those up and you can ride in numerous valleys back in there. The Border Patrol stopped us and said to just stay away from the actual Border Fence and to have fun so I think it's pretty much cool. There are a lot of fun challanging hill climbs there and other stuff.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I do remember you. How's the new pipe?

Otay sounds like the place to go that's close by. Although it's still about an hour drive for me. That's pretty cool that the border patrol gave the thumbs up. At least for now.

A friend of mine just got a dual-sport bike and another friend wants to learn how to ride. So I'd like to take them out somewhere. Plus have some fun stuff for me. :D

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I actually didn't end up buying that pipe for $ reasons. Although if I do get the urge to buy one that will be the one. It was a good price and worked awesome!! That place is pretty fun. The parking area is kinda hard to find. I'll try to give directions but it may get confusing so I appologize in advance. Probably print this out:

805 south,
Exit last exit before crossing and turn left (East) over freeway,

Hang a left and follow road approximately parallel to 805,

Just before the road goes under 805 you're going to hang a right on another road that runs parallel to 805 and is kinda residential,

Follow it for maybe a mile to the top of a small hill and hang a right again,

If this is the correct road it will go up a hill a couple hundred yards and you will see the trails in front of you. We flipped a bitch and parked facing down hill right by the stair case coming down from the playing (soccer?) fields on the north side of the road. We suited up and unloaded then took off quickly to try and reduce the amount of noise for the houses in the neighbor hood.

Like I said, we didn't get bothered at all and tehre was tons of trails down there and many other riders.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Did you have a problem dodging all the illegals running across the trails!? LOL!

Hey Fred, we are going to Ocotillo on the 27th, check the posts!

Cya
Elk

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Elk buddy. How's things going? I pray things have gone alright with your friend that past away. Are you still going to adopt his daughter? I started getting a little teary eyed when I read that. Yes it's true that a big burly man like me has feelings.

I read your invite, especially that part that mentioned my name, and I've been reluctant to respond. Because I ended up going last Thursday to Ocotillo. Since I couldn't find anyone to go my neighbor Art, the one with the 01 CR 250, went with me. I'm trying to find the courage to ask the wife for another kitchen pass for that day. Honestly things don't look good. :(

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
We were joking about chasing down runners while we were down there but we didn't see any. Maybe next time. It's wierd, they grade all the main dirt roads nightly so that foot marks show up easily though. The whole day we were kinda riding on fresh powder!!

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I used to live and work in downtown San Diego. A nornal day would be something like this:

Arrive at work about 9ish
Lunch from 1:00 till 2ish
Leave work around 4ish
truck loaded by 4:30
At Otay Mesa unloaded and riding by 5:15
Ride till the sun or I go down.

Its a neat place to ride as long as you are on the north side of the fence......
The Boarder Patrol guys ride quads and are all very cool about people riding in that are as long as you stay out of their way.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Thumbs,
The quote in your sig is driving me crazy!! Isn't it from a song or something? Now that I think about it, it's probably from a movie and they sampled it into their song.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks for concern about my friend, we have the daughter living with us as of tomorrow. we are pretty excited about, she is a sweetheart.

Just tell your wife she looks beautiful, even with twins! Rub her feet and start a bath, then tell her you'll be right back, after the Ocotillo ride!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
Thanks for concern about my friend, we have the daughter living with us as of tomorrow. we are pretty excited about, she is a sweetheart.!

Elk. The world is a much better place because of people like you and your wife.:)

Fred. Did you get a dual-sport bike? What kind? We have some great dual-sport trails around here and can put together about a 90 mile loop. I have a little work to do on the XR Valdeze before we can put one together, but, let me know.

Ol'89r

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
89r, talking to me nice like that still won't make me wear the tutu! But thanks

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
89r,

No I still have the KDX 220. I just got it legal. Plate and license. WooHoo!!! I would be interested in doing that loop though. I just have to get a kitchen pass.

onfire

Jul 23, 2001
riding places

Lake Morena has some riding also, the ORV park is called Corral Canyon. I've been up there a few times and there are some good trails to ride. A mix of fire roads, and single track. Best time to go is M-F, weekends can get a little crowded.

But the desert is still the best.

I'm always looking for someone to go riding with. Just let me know, maybe we can set something up.:D

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
onfire,

Don't you have a street legal KDX 220 also? I think I saw you on another thread talking about it. Where do you live? With twins on the way I'm looking for the quick rides. But I plan on getting a couple day rides till then.

onfire

Jul 23, 2001
riding

I do have a street legal (well at least it has a street license) KDX 200, I live down in the south bay area of SD. Rides in the afternoon during the week, except Wednesdays are good for me, also some weekends. Would like to hook up with fellow riders, just my dad and another friend to ride with now. :D

chickle7g

Nov 7, 2007
can anyone tell me where i can take my 7 year old son to get some good riding experience where the earea isnt going to be to hard for him to ride? Im in Santee

b-rocker

Feb 27, 2007
Try taking the 78 up to Ramona.When you get to Haverford turn left(before town)and follow it a few miles.It goes down to a valley with dirt roads on both sides. Most of the roads are forest roads and legal if you have a plate. The fires just burned most of this so I don't know if it's open now.If you take 78 out of Ramona to Magnolia and turn left,it turns into dirt in a few miles and ends up at Mesa Grande Reservation.Again the recent fires could affect this area too.

Top Bottom