angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
In early september, D-36 decided to add a beach race to our schedule. Most people were skeptical and also upset that it was in the northern most part of California at least 5-6 hours from the bay area. I didn't want to drive that far again, but I welcomed the change of scenery and I'd also never been to Eureka. Besides, my brother and 2 other friends decided to go and I needed the points.
The drive up saturday went well and we arrived at the sand dunes to pre enter and check out the track. We could see that it had rained and the sand looked perfect. We walked the beginning of the course and headed into town to get a room. I felt good after seeing where the race was being run and after a big dinner, I slept well.
On sunday morning it was cold and clear, perfect for racing. We got a good parking space and took our fuel cans to the pit area. While I stood waiting, the race organizer told me I could line up whenever I wanted. I was the first guy to line up, so I got a good pick. It was obvious that a lot of people were skipping this race. The B class was way smaller than normal. After the riders meeting, it was time to go. The A sportsman row went off first, and my friend who I drove up with got the wholeshot. He later told me that he led the first lap (5 miles) before Pat Garrahan passed him.
I got a great jump and led the Vet A class through the first turn. My first wholeshot ever. I felt good, but heard a big 4 stroke right on my tail. I pushed hard through the deep Southwick style sand track, but couldn't hold off former AA rider Eric DuCray for very long. It was a forgone conclusion that he would win our class unless his bike broke. I battled hard with another fast vet, Ron Day, for the rest of the first lap. I love the sand, and I knew it would be a survival race. So after going back and forth with him, I decided to tuck in behind and keep constant pressure on him and tire him out. Early on the second lap his bike gave out before he did. I went by and never looked back. I was completely alone, with noone in front or behind. I slowed down a little, but still caught riders from the row in front of me. The sand was so rutted and rough that it was hard to keep from crashing. On lap 3, the fast 40+ riders caught up to me. This helped me pick up the pace and gave me someone to race with. I battled hard with John Wells as usual, except this time I passed him last and actually ended up getting in one more lap than him. I was not tired after 5 laps, and was really having fun, but I was brutalizing my 250exc. I pitted and got enough gas to finish and fresh goggles. I saw Dave Wood pass as I pitted. I took off after him, but he slowly pulled away. By this time, I was well into lapped traffic. I've never seen so many riders laid out. It was carnage. The smell of burnt motors and coolant were everywhere. I was passing B riders by the bushel. I watched guys crash every few seconds and swerved through the wreckage. It looked like they were riding after drinking a twelver and getting a concusion. I've never seen such a clear difference between A and B riders. I usually get passed by a few B riders, but not today.
As the race neared the end, I took the white flag and rode a conservative last lap. When I got to the finish line, the white flag was still out. I looked at the clock and there was 1:39 left. One more lap, oops. I got into a fun last lap battle with a rider from row 1, and I followed him across the finish knowing that I got 2nd in Vet A and hoping for a top 20 overall. I rode to the pits and talked it over with our crew. My friend Brian Toline, who wholeshot the front row, finished 7th overall and 2nd 250A. I finished 18th overall and 2nd. My brother riding from the last row 40+ B was an incredible 30th overall and 4th of all B riders and 1st in class by a lap over 2nd place! I guess that little sand riding we do paid off. Another friend, Kelly Knipe took 2nd in open B and 35th overall. All of us rode well and were pleased with the results. Pat Garrahan won by 4 minutes on an 05' 450 mxc and didn't seem to be to tired afterwards.
It was a fun but brutal race, since paddle tires were not allowed. Many bikes had to be towed in after the race. Riding along the surf 4 times per lap was a refreshing break from the dunes. Fun stuff.

Top Bottom