Rusty-Gold

Jan 30, 2003
I have just spent a couple of the most frustrating hours I've had in a very long time trying to attach a "beak" nose guard to a new pair of Scott 89 Turboflow goggles! First, they came with no instructions, hints, or tips on how best to attach them. After trying unsuccessfully for more than an hour, I gave Scott a call but was only told "Yea, it takes a lot of effort.".

It's pretty obvious that the posts on the guard go through the (more or less) matching holes in the bottom rim of the goggles. But the holes aren't really holes, just slits that easily allow a pointed object through but not so with the rounded heads of the attachment posts (makes putting a square peg in a round hole seem easy in comparison). Then there is the fact that you can't get your finger behind either (especially the inner) post to apply sufficient pressure. The amount of pressure required to force the post through the hole is so great that you're in constant fear of bending or breaking the posts, not to mention the way the foam gets torn up as you're going through these contortions.

And then on top of everything, once you finally do get the guard attached, you discover that not only is the guard not quite symmetrically aligned on the goggles, but half of the bottom vent on the goggles is now blocked by the double-walled attachment scheme used! I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I'm seriously concerned now about how effective these "TurboFlow" goggles are going to be in preventing fogging now that half of the venting is blocked.

I will give them a try but this experience alone has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the quality of Scott products and their support.

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
I loved every scott goggle i have bought and im very happy with the no sweat 3... ive never used the turboflow or the roostgaurd. but i know scott makes quality goggles.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
As to the Scott goggles, I use the turbo flows almost exclusively (4 of my 6 pairs) and swear by them. As to the nose, or beak guard; I was able to finally get one mounted (I enlarged the holes with a box knife), but didnt like the fit, since it tends to rub against the chin guard of the helmet. I rarely use this attachment anymore unless riding in really cold, or wet weather (Colorado comes to mind). If my helmet's chin guard was bigger, I wouldnt really have a problem using the nose guard. I do agree that the nose guard could be incorporated a little better into the goggle, though.

Top Bottom