Marklx

May 24, 2001
My '02 RM250 is quite tall for me, and it seems like there is quite a bit of room in the seat to shave it down.

Is this something I can do myself? If yes, what is involved, what do I need to buy, etc to do the job right.

Thanks,

Mark

kenney

Dec 18, 2001
get a thin peice of wire(single strand(Guitar string would work)) wrap the ends of wire around a stick or something for handles. heat the string with a torch and pull it through the foam.
hope it helps
bry

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Guess I'm going to try the electric knife thing. We've got a lovely almond colored one that if broken, would not be sorely missed. I've got a spring type staple gun, and now wondering if any particular staple should be used? Something rustproof I suppose, but anything else in particular?

Also, any tricks to pulling the seat cover tight while putting it back together? Hate to punch a million hole in the cover trying to get it right, but figure this one may just require some experience.

Mark

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I use a hacksaw and sandpaper.

I know some will tell you they are fine, but I've NEVER had any luck with a spring stapler. Sears sells little air staplers real reasonable and they are the berries. Shortest staples you can find will probably be best.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
I tested a few staples into the seat base last night with the spring stapler, and had 50/50 success. Some in perfect, some half way. The staples are t-50 6mm staples, which are the same length as stock.

Any excuse to hit Home Depot for new toys works for me. Might pick up a rivet tool to shore up the airbox as well.

So now the bonus question.........any guidance on how much and where to shave? Once the seat is off, it isn't as obvious where you want to hack away at. Guessing to start shaving a little on each end and gradually ramp up the amount towards the front/middle of the seat. I'm a sort of freehand artist type person, but don't want to mess up my seat. SDG doesn't make one yet, and I'd hate to have to buy a stock one:scream:

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Mark

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Depends on the seat but I have removed the foam from the base & cut the underneath (with electric carving knife) so the smooth contours are on top.

My hand held cheapo stapler worked fine. Hehe.

Putting the cover on takes a technique of a few strategic staples to get things even front & back & then as you stretch it a bit at a time & apply more stapes, slowly the dip at the front will smooth out & the seemingly impossible task turns into a good finish.

Top Bottom