HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
A buddy's 2-stroke seized after running it with a broken radiator (she didn't know it was broken and it leaked all of the fluid out in the middle of a race).

My question is, when you take it apart how can you tell if doing a new top end will be enough or if something else is wrong? Is the cylinder o.k. etc?

Thanks.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
HajiWasAPunk said:
My question is, when you take it apart how can you tell if doing a new top end will be enough or if something else is wrong? Is the cylinder o.k. etc?
Thanks.

Visually inspect the cylinder for scratches and scuff marks. If there are no deep scratches then hone the cylinder and then mic it. Mic it at the top and at the bottom of the cylinder and check for taper. Also mic it at the exhaust port for excessive wear. Your manual will give the allowed tolerance. If you don't have a micrometer and a bore gauge, your local shop should be able to check it for you.

If the cylinder has deep scratches that can't be honed out or has excessive wear, then it needs to be replated.

While the top end is off, check the rod for any up and down movement. There should be a little side to side movement but no up and down. Also, rotate the crank and check for rough main bearings.

Just my $ .02

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
well start by honing it/or (de-glazing it),and then check the piston to cylinder clearance with a feeler gage
then the ring end gap
check the rod while it is apart-grab it pull it up hold the crank /magneto,and try to move the rod up and down,there should be no move ment,but there will be side to side movement
if it is good put new rings in it

Top Bottom