NERider

Nov 7, 2010
Im considering selling my 06 YZ125 for a KX250f or a cr250f. what do you guys think? i can handle the 125 fine but i feel like the fourstroke would be easier and more fun to ride, corners would be easier to go through and it would be more reliable and better in the woods. thoughts?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What exactly makes you think it would be more reliable? Better in the woods? Etc...? Having an idea of what makes you think these things might make it easier to comment.

NERider

Nov 7, 2010
Just from what ive heard people say the motors last longer between rebuilds. alot more torque for hills and what not, alot less shifting etc

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Whoever you are listening to on the need for less maintenance is an idiot. Do a little digging around here and you'll find some good answers to the questions you have, it may very well change your mind.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Have you considered a big bore 125? The maintenance schedules are about the same on 2 or 4 stroke MX race bikes. Remember who told you differently. Sink the money in suspension work. The 125 will make you a better rider/racer. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
250fs are great bikes if you have a very large budget for maintenance. Replacing things on a schedule before they fail is imperative. This can get very expensive, especially when you consider labor charges for the things most people should pay a qualified service tech to do. The up side is the wider power spread. You get good low end torque, a strong midrange and good top end pull to about 12k rpms or so. Almost all the 250fs have great chassis, they're light and agile.

The 125s are great play bikes. They require you to spend about 100 bucks and an afternoon with a buddy every 30-50 hours or so depending on your riding style. As long as you do the maintenance before you damage the cylinder they're super cheap to keep running like new.

NERider

Nov 7, 2010
Yah, I guess I learned the hard way when i didnt check my coolant before i went riding a few months ago. thanks guys

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
My 250f expirience was with a 2004 wr250f and it felt like a very heavy 125 with just a bit more power down low, did not like it and sold it

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
so what kind of maintenance? just coolant, tran oil, and what?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
_JOE_ said:
250fs are great bikes if you have a very large budget for maintenance. Replacing things on a schedule before they fail is imperative.

There is no question that maintenance on a 250f can be very expensive. That said, if you're not an A or B level racer, they're not that bad.

I bought a 2003 250f with a new top end and valves 18 months ago. So far I haven't had any issues with valves, the bike runs quite strong and starts easy. Basically, all I've done is replace wear parts like chain, sprockets, rollers, tires, etc. . .

Then again, I ride about 2-4 hours a week and I'm not on the rev limiter constantly.

My buddy was also a C/D rider. In 2006 he bought a brand new 2006 KX250f. He rode and raced for 3 years and never had to adjust a valve - he checked them and they never moved enough to go out of spec.

So, yes, if you ride hard, you're going to be doing a lot of engine maintenance. Not so much if you're slow like me.

Top Bottom