I'mClueless

Apr 23, 2003
Hey Guys....I've been a "lurker" for a while but now I need some help. I have a 96 KX250 and while replacing the front wheel I managed to sheer off one of the 4 bolts on the left fork that holds the wheel axle to the fork. So now what?? Will three bolts be sufficient and if not, do I have to replace the entire fork? Thanks for your help.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Are you referring to one of the pinch bolts? If so I'd want to get that repaired before I considered riding. If I'm understanding correctly and it's a pinch bolt that you've sheered the head off some patience with a drill and an ez-out should do the trick.

I'mClueless

Apr 23, 2003
I thought of an EZ-out but I don't think that will work as the bolt actually comes out of the fork. There is a plate that covers the axle, pinching it to the fork, but with my model, the pinch plate is then held by some 8mm nuts. Thoughts? Does that make sense? I went to buykawasaki website but the diagrams show the bolts attached to the fork.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
It is a stud that is threaded int the fork leg. It will have been installed with loctite. Your best bet is to have a shop/someone who has experience drill it and e-z out it. Take the whole fork leg off and take it someowhere you trust and ask if they will do it as a 'bench job'.
It may need to be drilled all the way out and then be tapped and heli-coiled.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
A quick easy way is to take the fork to someone with a mig welder.Have them weld through the center of a nut to the broken stud.The result will be similar to a bolt and the heat from the weld will help loosen it from the fork using the welded on nut.

Top Bottom