Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,,
since they dont make a shorty silencer for a kdx, i thought maybe i could make my own by cutting off a few inches off a procircuit or fmf silencer... but how much should i cut off? how much shorter is a shorty as compared to a regular silencer?

thanks.

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
We cut of a few inches off my fathers RM125 silencer right before the first fold or bend. It seems to be the same size as the fmf shorty. Be sure and weld that core in there good tho b/c his was just tap welded in a few spots and when you start cutting on that core I imagine its going to weaken.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I agree, leave it alone and pack it more often.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i heard that a shorty silencer will give you an extra bike length on starts and that it was good for bottom end..that's why i was doing it..

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I definately wouldn't say that it alone gives you an extra bike length on starts. IMO it is pretty stupid as it does very little and increases noise a lot. Noise has kept me from switching to one.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I disagree I did it on 2 of my 125's a 96yz and 98yz. It did help bottom-end. I finally went to an fmf shorty only cause I got a sponsorship through them. It didnt hurt anything and yes it is a little bit louder, but have you heard any of the aftermarket shortys? Anyway nevada six if you want give it a try before you buy one. It might work just as good for you.

Top Bottom