Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Hello all, it is I, Trigger, coming to you from this frozen hell called Pennsylvania. Since Paragon is now para-Gone, where will we be riding? I am mostly healed up from my shoulder surgery and ready to try and ride again. I miss my buddies!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've been thinking about that Mike. In April there is a 2 day ride up near me in Hancock, NY. It's put on by the same group that hosts the one of the National enduros. It's called the Good Kuggamugga ride and it is on April 18-19th. Here's the web site http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/

I have been trying to contact them about camping. When I went a couple of years ago it was very primitive but there are a bunch of hotels in town. I wasn't going to get everyone going on it until I got more information but now is a s good as any.

I went with eldrm (remember him from Modena years ago?) and his friend and we had a blast.

There is also Lost Trails in the Poconos that is pretty nice to ride at.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Trigger! Glad to hear you are healing up.

It's finally getting to be that time, the sun was awesome today.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
You guys and always make a trip out west!! Always had a good time riding with you guys, would love to get back east for a little vaca and a nice ride on real dirt/soil!!!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Trust me sick - every time I visit NM, all I can do is wish I had my bikes with me. I do agree, however, the desert may be fun, but there's no substitute for good black dirt (which is non-existant on the coast here, unless you roost up the neighbors prize vegetable garden).

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
As a matter of fact, I do. And my bikes are located right across the street. :think: :laugh:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Did I hear somebody say spring ride in the veggie patch? :nod:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Just let me know. We have been riding Hazelton, Pottsville (awesome!) and the Pines in the winter. We are looking to ride South NJ this weekend. Looks like Sunday. We can bike pool if you want and Ill split the gas with you. My Van has a sticker sitseation plus it be stuck in the Pa Perma-frost out behind the barn since December :yell: . Seemed like a good place to park it at the time :| We can meet at the Quakertown TP exit. Your in Allentown right? Is your bike "legal?" You had a DRZ last time me thinks.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Oh I ment St Clair off 61. Reading Cole Co. Their office is in Pottsville, thats where you get the permits. $100 / year. Cant beat that!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I can get the number for you. I have to go up and get my 09 permit. You have to go up durring the week to their office to get it.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Reading Anthracite Company
200 Mahantongo Street
Pottsville, PA 17901
570-622-5150 or 1-800-654-7792
Ask for Donna

You have to go in person - Monday through Friday, 8 to 4:30 to read and sign the permit/waiver form. And make sure to have your drivers liscense with you.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Thanks bro, great info. You ride there Scooter? Very cool place to ride. Takes quite a while to figure out the area as its so vast, but thats half the fun! We have found LOTS of very cool single track out there and I even not only got lost with CRF guy (my guide), but he even at one point stopped and considered turning around on a rocky downhill that seemed to have no end saying "if we had to go back up the way we came it would be better to turn around now than keep going down." I said the tail had to lead somewhere and go back up. Id did. But it was NOT easy!
That was one of the best trials I have been on in a LONG time, maybe ever. And the fact that we both had never been on it and were not even sure where we were or IF we could get back the way we came made it even better!
The trail started at the foot of an old fire watch tower that we both thought would be cool to climb. About 80' up or so the semi rotted wood steps started feeling much less secure. Climbing up there in MX boots was sketchey enough, I was worried about stepping DOWN in MX boots. They just dont bend that way.
We didnt make it all the way up.... Im gonna take a set of sneekers next time and get to the top of that bad boy!
Anyway, its a great legal ride area and maybe we should think about a spring ride there. The main issue will be getting the permits for everyone but hey, $100 for a weekend of riding is NOT bad plus the permit is good all year, and its about the same distance for all, maybe closer for the folks up North. Its about 25 mins North of I 78 on Rt 61. Its about 1.75 drive hours NW for me. anyone from down south is welcome to camp / stay at my place, I have room now.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
BTW, 10:30 Rally time at Coranza Monument in South Jersey Sunday 2/8/09. My cell is 2158927721and your bike needs to be street legal.

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Hey J, thaty sounds like a great place to ride! If you want to go up during the week let me know. We can meet and head up.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Great day of riding in the Pine Barrens today. Temps in the 60's with warm sunshine. MOST ice was gone by noon. The fire roads were slippery so we tired to stay off them. The Single track was in decent shape with a few trees down but thats whats fun about single track, when it gets blocked a new trail evolves around the obsticle makeing it more interesting. This was my first real ride of 09 and Im whooped from the sand whoops. Can't wait to get up North into coal country when the weather breaks.

njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
I'm getting my permit for there for 09. I'll be looking for some folks to ride with. Especially someone that's been there before.
Shoot me a PM. I rode with some of you guys on a trail clearing day at Paragon a couple years ago. I'm still pissed at that place. Even more pissed now that the airport was canned too and the place is sitting there doing nothing.

I haven't tried the 8 bees route yet.

Nick

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
RockRockRock said:
Do you have to have a dual sport to get the permit?

Nope, its a quad, trike, bike ATV ok place. I don't think they allow 4x4 trucks or anything. Your just rippin on the bazillion acres the cole co leases. Most of it they dont even mine or use. Nowhere as crowded as Paragon was. We rode for over 1 hour without seeing other riders. Lots of elevation and woods seems to keep the quads near the silt pits. Keep off clean coal, dont mess with cole equipment, respect all and be safe and responsible for yourself. They even have more than one location I understand for the same price / permit kinda like the Hatfield McCoy system. It's a real gem of North Eastern Pa riding.
I think it's the shotgun enduro that runs up there.
So what do we think about a spring ride.......?

Top Bottom