sons wants an rm85 instead of the ttr125 i have a ? please help

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
11 yrs old 4'8 85lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
he runs the crap out of his crf70
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
all
4) Do you have any riding experience?
1 year on a crf70 no clutch experience
5) Do you think you will race ?
no but he does race bmx
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
some
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
he's only rode a 4-stroke semi-auotmatic
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
all
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
no more than 3k
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opiniono thinking about a new bike for one of my sons

We was all set to get the ttr125 but the dearler worked his magic and now he wants the rm85 he can tip-toe the bike. Will trottle control help him get use to the powerband and clutch? he's been riding a crf70.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
that's a helluva jump. Plus, you're the dad. The kid should be happy with whatever you choose for him to ride.

Maybe I'm hard core, but that's how I deal with my kids. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
powerT said:
11 yrs old 4'8 85lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
he runs the crap out of his crf70
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
all
4) Do you have any riding experience?
1 year on a crf70 no clutch experience
5) Do you think you will race ?
no but he does race bmx
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
some
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
he's only rode a 4-stroke semi-auotmatic
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
all
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
no more than 3k
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opiniono thinking about a new bike for one of my sons

We was all set to get the ttr125 but the dearler worked his magic and now he wants the rm85 he can tip-toe the bike. Will trottle control help him get use to the powerband and clutch? he's been riding a crf70.

My first bike was a Kawasaki KX 80 and I moved to an RM250 after 6 months...6 months after that...an RM 465.

Your kid can make the leap from the crf70 to the RM...Just be prepared to teach him how to handle the power difference...try adjusting shock to lower the seat hight a bit.

I think you can prevent the slide on the RM from opening all the way by making some changes to the throttle cable...that should do until he learns how to handle the bike confidently

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
he didn't throw a fit he just ask if he could get the rm instead he's happy with what ever he gets he just ask about the rm

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
well, the RM is one of the shortest in the 85 class.

My cousin put his boy on a YZ85 after a TTR90, and it was quite the drastic change. My boy started on a TTR90 as well, and I moved him up to a TTR125. There wasn't near as much problem for him to adapt to the 4-stroke as there was for his cousin adapting to the YZ. They are both equally skilled on the 90's before they started, also.

There will be some hard knocks, and maybe some tears, but eventually your boy will probably be rockin' on whichever you choose.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
If he is progressing quickly with his skills, get the rm. He'll learn to grow into it. He will have to learn throttle control eventually.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If he feels that he will be comfortable on it, and you aren't really opposed to it, then let him have it. My son learned the clutch on a 65 that he couldn't reach the ground on. Yours should be fine, and he will be happier in the long run (read, he is less likely to want another one in 2 years. The TTR is closer to a 65 than an 85 in performance.
In the future, watch out for those salesman, they are a sneaky bunch.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Chili said:
Get the RM, otherwise you'll be selling the TT-R 3 months from now to upgrade again, been there, done that.

Ditto, thats why I said go big.
If I had it to do over again, I could have saved alot of money buying a little bigger bikes for the fam to start with. Upgrading every six months sucks!

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
went back to the dealer he priced the 07 rm85 for $2,900 that sounds pretty gooed but we may still look for a uesd one but i'm not sure I can beat that.

a side note the Honda&Yam. dealers in our area no longer cares any 2-strokes they said it could be orderd.

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
o he set on the drz125 and the ttr125 (little wheels) and said they both felt heavy.The crf 100 felt ok but we're afaid he'll out grow it. He said he can hold the rm 80 up better . Wish us luck!!

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
Have you looked at the CRF150R
I did but he can't touch the ground plus the mant. is a real minus. Does 2900 for a new rm 85 really sounds high?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
powerT said:
I did but he can't touch the ground plus the mant. is a real minus. Does 2900 for a new rm 85 really sounds high?
No the price doesn't sound high. Most 85s are like 3000 I think. I also thought that the honda had the lowest seat height of 32.4, but Im not quite sure. Nevermind I am sure I just looked. But also the honda would be harder to get used to than a rm because of the hard hitting powerband. I've never ridden one but thats what I heard. Also the CRF150R, has a seat height of 32.8 and the suzuki 85 a seat heigth of 33.5.

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
Also the CRF150R, has a seat height of 32.8 and the suzuki 85 a seat heigth of 33.5.

we sit on so many the past 2 days maybe i'm thinking of a diff. one. Don't the 150r have a high mant.$$ like the other mx 4-stroker? That what has me worried.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
powerT said:
we sit on so many the past 2 days maybe i'm thinking of a diff. one. Don't the 150r have a high mant.$$ like the other mx 4-stroker? That what has me worried.
It has more maintenence than an 85, and its more expensive to fix when broken.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
powerT said:

No I haven't, except for when I was at a dealership and saw one, didn't pay to much attention to it. So if the seat is lower on the 150R, how can he not touch the ground vs being on the Rm? To me 2900 sounds high, but, I am not in the market for one. Just thought I would suggest looking at all bikes before you bought.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
It could be too tall because the 150 has stiffer suspension and doesn't have as much rider sag as the rm I'm not posative thats the case though.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Considering that a new KX65 is in the $2700 arena and the KTM65 is over $3400, $2900 for the 85 doesn't sound too bad Suzuki lists the '07 for $3099 so it is $200 below msrp.
Yes, the TTR is heavy, very heavy. It's still a good bike (for it's purpose), but right now, I'm thinking the 85 is more for you .

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If he's running the crap out of his CRF70, he'll quicky tire of a TT125R. The pure MX bike will be able to take a beating. The TT-R won't be able to withstand near as much punishment. It's a beginners trail bike, not a heavy duty beat the snot out of it racer.

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Well, in my area $2900 would be slightly higher - I've seen them going for $2700 or so. But, it all depends on the area and how many of them they move off the floor. It's not a bad price, and even if you tried you'd most likely only get a little bit more money off anyway.

I agree with alot of the other posts- get the RM. According to the bike magazines, it has the most power down low and is the easiest 85 to ride for most beginner riders. The clutch and throttle control will come - it'll just take some riding time, that's all. No biggie. Maintenance will be cheap and easy, especially compared to the CRF150R. You can do most everything yourself if you are mechanically inclined and get the service manual. I started my middle boy (he was 13 at the time) last year on a 1998 YZ80, and he had only ridden an XR100 prior to that, and he did just fine. I have done all the work on the bike myself (I got a factory manual), including changing jetting, tires, chain/sprockets, handlebars/grips, graphics, and fork seals (so far that's it) with no problems. Now, I am a diesel mechanic by trade, but prior to this I hadn't touched a bike or quad since I myself was a youngin'! It's really not that hard, especially with resources like DirtRider.net. Get the RM, you will both be happier in the long run (and have more money too). BTW, my middle boy is turning 15 in April, and I just got him an '05 KX250F (he loves it), and I've started riding again on a CR250R (I'm 35 and last rode a dirtbike when I was 17). My youngest will be 13 this June and he has taken over the YZ (I taught him clutch control last year on the XR when his brother was racing MX on the YZ). You'll be amazed at how fast they pick it up.......

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
I've started riding again on a CR250R (I'm 35 and last rode a dirtbike when I was 17).

Ya i'm going to get me one too (5'9 195) but I think i'm going with the yz125 the last time I rode was about 15 years or so ago (yz80) not sure about the 2-stroke 250 :yikes: :yikes:

Top Bottom