Jun 5, 2006
Okay, to achieve better aceleration on my 02 kx125, do i need to go up a tooth or two on the front sprocket, rear sprocket, down a few? Help me out here. Also, are the changes significant? if anyone has changed their sprockets on their bikes how did it affect acceleration/ top speed? Did it change how the bike hit midrange power, low end? Anything i would need to knwo about changing the sprockets would be helpful. :cool:
THANKS!

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
The cheapest is to get a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket , which is equivalent to about going 3 teeth bigger on the back , will give you lower gearing ie shorten the time between gear changes , you will loose top speed .

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I run anything from 11/52 to 12/49.

You'll notice a BIG difference if you drop or raise a tooth in the front . . . Maybe a bigger difference than you want, but it's cheap to change the front one, so it's probably worth a try.

My impression was that it moved the powerband around - it didn't really change it any. i.e. when I dropped a tooth in the front, the bike was definitely quicker off the bottom, and definitely didn't have as much top speed. It basically caused me to run a gear higher. Instead of being in 2nd, I was in 3rd.

The thing to do, if you're interested, is use your calculator to do some division and calculate the actual ratios.

Divide the rear by the front.

52/12=4.333:1
49/11=4.4545:1
etc. . .

That will give you some idea on paper as to the difference between the changes.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I liked 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket of my 2002. It pulled much better up hills and accelerated harder, but you will need to shift a bit more.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
COTTONVILLEEXPRESS

You are wrong , the smaller the front sprocket and the bigger the rear gives makes shorter gearing , like having more power.

The larger the front sprocket and smaller the rear lenthens the gears and gives more top end .

Jun 27, 2006
I know I was wrong lol but right after I wrote that I went to bed and thats when I thought about what I wrote but didn't want to get back up. Yes taking a tooth away from the front is like adding 3 to the back and vice versa for a top end change, add one and lose 3 on the rear.
KDX CRAZY said:
COTTONVILLEEXPRESS

You are wrong , the smaller the front sprocket and the bigger the rear gives makes shorter gearing , like having more power.

The larger the front sprocket and smaller the rear lenthens the gears and gives more top end .

Jun 27, 2006
My bike didn't want to keep the front end on the ground with a 14/49 setup ((3.5 : 1 ratio )) so I went one less on the rear and left the front a 14 and the change was just what I was looking for at the time with a ((3.43 :1 ratio )) compared to the 3.5 : 1 . Just changing one tooth calmed my front end down from ridding wheelies outa corners to coming up only a foot or so. Now that I am use to the 250cc and beings I'm in need of new sprockets I'm going with a 13 front and a 49 rear ((3.77:1 ratio )) a little over stock, this will give me a real kick, but I'm ready for it.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
CoTToNvilleExpress said:
My bike didn't want to keep the front end on the ground with a 14/49 setup ((3.5 : 1 ratio )) so I went one less on the rear and left the front a 14 and the change was just what I was looking for at the time with a ((3.43 :1 ratio )) compared to the 3.5 : 1 . Just changing one tooth calmed my front end down from ridding wheelies outa corners to coming up only a foot or so. Now that I am use to the 250cc and beings I'm in need of new sprockets I'm going with a 13 front and a 49 rear ((3.77:1 ratio )) a little over stock, this will give me a real kick, but I'm ready for it.

I do lots of slow woods riding with my 01 kx 250, and i needed low gearing so that my clutch, and left hand, would not take such a beating....I run 12/54 sprockets with a 13 oz Steahly Flywheel weight and I love it. My top-end speed suffers, but I am almost never in 5th gear anyway...so it makes no diff to me. I can also pop up the front tire on command which comes in handy at times.

Ken

Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for all the input guys, one more question though :)

I counted the teeth on my sprockets and it looks like i'm running 13/54. I was jw if anybody knew if that is stock settings for 2002 kawasaki kx125.
thanks

Top Bottom