OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Heres a video of a problem Husky.
It has a Morini S6C water cooled engine with a red shoe clutch. Other than cleaning the carb, the only thing I've really done to try to fix this is lower the needle a couple clips, i.e. from bottom notch to middle.
FYI - After this short run the engine was crazy hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPQ-NNz0QTc

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
really sounds like way rich or cdi box going out. looking at the tip of your silencer it does not appear to be rich enough to cause this problem. cdi box is realativley cheap $40ish. they are prone to having problems.

When its on the ground does it have no pulling power? If yes then I'd replace the cdi box with a known good one.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
I don't mean to be harsh .
First off , let it warm up before you go WFO .
Second , it is water cooled , but you still need air flow through the radiators to cool the engine .
It sounds like it is just bumping off of the rev limiter . How does it do when it is riden ?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Jasle said:
When its on the ground does it have no pulling power? If yes then I'd replace the cdi box with a known good one.
Right on! I have the clutch set ridiculously high because it won't pull at all 'til it gets on the pipe.
Anybody know where I can find a CDI box?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you should be able to get one from a Cobra dealer...order the one from the P3 Oil Injected bike. Also LEM and Conti bikes use the same engine setup so they should be able to help you out as far as cdi box goes. Also husqvarna dealers even though they quite selling the peewee bikes should still have some access to parts.
when replacing the cdi box I usually cut some inner tube and put around the box to isolate it from the vibrations of the frame. Seems to help longevity.

Definetley not bumping off the rev limter. these suckers will rev to the moon and even further with a bigger carb and you never hear the rev limiter...they just stop pulling.
Pete is right though. Make sure you warm the bike up before revving WFO.

If you have the clutch set too high the bike will overheat due to cluth slippage when riding. Won't matter much on the bench though.
you'll want the clutch to hit right about 9000rpm. its where you have the most torque.

please post what your jets are. I'm thinking pilot should be somewhere around 48-50 and main 86ish.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Jasle said:
...these suckers will rev to the moon and even further with a bigger carb and you never hear the rev limiter...they just stop pulling.
I was tinkering with adapting a spare KX60 carb to it, but decided to avoid the hassle. I think it's poorly jetted and I'll post as to what it has soon(well... maybe after the holidays).

Jasle said:
Pete is right though. Make sure you warm the bike up before revving WFO.

If you have the clutch set too high the bike will overheat due to cluth slippage when riding. Won't matter much on the bench though.
you'll want the clutch to hit right about 9000rpm. its where you have the most torque.
I did warm the bike up before hand. I just didn't think I needed to tape that part.
I agree that the heat is likely being generated by the clutch setting, but the pipe gets hot really quick too. Maybe over lean due to someone trying to compensate for the sputter. ???

BTW - My son always hated this bike because it runs so poorly. He's been on a KX65 for a while now and after sitting in the shop for 2 yrs, I'm fixing up the Huskyboy for sale. Therefore I'll be avoiding any mad expenditures on its repair.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the kx60 carb will be way too much. that bike cannot handle much more than a 21mm carb and still pull itself off the line.

check the impeller. morini shipped many motors once a ways back and they were all missing the impeller. they had overheating problem's.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Jasle,
You seem to know your stuff on the mini's . Do you know of anyone that makes an aluminum water pump / impeller cover for the polini 50 ? The stock one is plastic and a real leaker at times . I just picked up a used one that leaks, I believe it was over tightened by the previus owner or just warped from being 4 years old .

Thanks,
Pete

Top Bottom