Sep 15, 2004
Hi all thanks for all the good advice i have gotten from all of you.I have an '05 kdx 200 with these mods:
1: fmf gnarly woods pipe and silencer
2: race tech .40 fork springs
3: renthal o-ring chain
4: renthal bars
5: power reeds

whats next? I was thinking of a steering damper or to bore out my carb.What exactly does a steering damper do?what kind of difference would it make??

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
In a nutshell, a steering damper acts like a shock absorber for your handlebars.

Example:
If you were to hit rut or the front end got a little flighty, your handlebars would turn a little from side to side... with a steering damper fitted, it would absorb a lot of the unwanted swaying / turning... without effecting your normal turning... great investment and complement to the rest of your package in my opinion.

Cheers,
Tony

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The 1st thing I'd do after the pipe, silencer, and reeds is to properly jet it. Those mods will require leaning things out to get optimum power and response. It really does may a significant difference.

Sep 15, 2004
thanks guys what jetting do you reccomend.I live at sea level in maryland.My bike shop told me if it was running ok then dont re-jet he told me the only reason to jet it was if it was running rough .What do you think?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You don't know if it's 'running ok' until you figure that part out. My bike ran 'OK' before I changed 'stuff'. Then it ran better! ..until I changed the next thing...and it ran still better.

If you only rejet because the bike is running rough, you're missing out on a the largest cost-to-benefit ratio mod you can do.

Besides that....you'll learn something.

Check CDave's site (linked in the 'Every kdx rider should read..' at the top of this forum). He has jetting recs for different modifications...step by step.

Modify your airbox lid
Setyour sag
Set your clickers

Kaybeach007

Dec 7, 2004
Definitely go for the steering damper before you start making the bike hotter. Remember, a hot bike doesn't mean it goes any faster than a stock standard bike. The ability to RIDE a bike is what makes you go faster. The steering damper will boost your confidence and ability to push the bike further and faster. All the mods in the world won't help you keep it pinned open across an unknown field of knee high grass, except a steering damper. The SCOTTS weld-on, KX125 installs in 30 minutes if you can weld yourself. I have ridden here in South Africa for many years and I hold my own with some pretty good riders, but you won't catch me on a boney without a steering damper, I could have saved many broken bones. It is easy to get passed the wife too, as it is a necessary safety thing and not a "go faster" guy thing.

Top Bottom