Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
One of my bikes got stolen last night. :| If there is any bright spot, it's that they took the oldest one.
The bike they took is a 1980 Honda XL500s. It was stolen in the Warwick, RI area, near the airport.

If anyone else from Rhode island, Mass, or Conn. runs across it, drop me an email.
Some things to look for:
V.I.N. 001?H5102852 The question mark is a number that I could not make out when I wrote down the number. The cables rubbed it out.
Dirtrider.net stickers (not too likely to still be on)
dual shock
23" front rim
If you get a real close look and can access it, the air filter is a one of a kind made special for me by the guys at No-Toil. It's stamped right on the filter "No-Toil".

Last edited:

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Sorry for your loss, it will show up soon. I'm far away from you but i've never seen a XL500s in MD so if i see one i'll take a close look at it. It may not be here but I'd rather keep a look out.
Good luck!
Adrenaline

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Dayumn!!!!!
I knew the internet was quick, but not this quick.

I just got the call. The bike has been recovered!!!! :aj:
:aj:
WHOOOOHOOOO !!!!! :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Full Story:
My nephew has been using the bike for a couple of months. Last week he broke his leg riding. They have not put him in a cast yet, just a splint until they can get an MRI done to determine what to do.
My bike as well as one of his three wheelers were stolen from his shed last night. He is moving today, and tomorrow, and I figured I would get the bike out of his way, as well as helping him move stuff. When I arived at his house this morning to pick up my bike, I was greeted by an officer of the law and given the bad news.
Around 6pm I left to go home. No sooner do I walk in my door at home, then I get a call from my nephew telling me that he found his three wheeler. A local kid was riding it in a field near his house. How's that for ballsy?! He tried to give chase, but being on crutches musta slowed him down a bit ;)
I drove back to his house and we drove around the neighborhood looking, hoping for a break. I finally gave up for the night a little after 11pm. I headed home.
Now remember, my nephew has an unset broken leg, and is on crutches. Well, he talked his wife into making one more trip through the "hood";) When he stopped at a trail head he said that he could hear voices in the woods. He proceeded to hop out of the truck, go in the woods and speak to the kids in there. After a short conversation with the teenagers, the bike magically appeared.
My nephew grabbed the bike and rode it home from the woods. He stalled on the way and fell on his broken leg once. :(
When he got home I got the call!
He said the bike is basically all there. Bent shift lever, and the DirtRider.net stickers were ripped off. The Team DRN stickers are still on though.
While he was talking with the kids, they begged him not to call the cops. . . Guess who my nephews calling right now? :)

Last edited:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
PapaKeith,

Glad to hear you both got your bikes back. When I started reading your first post, all I could think was 'no, not the new one!!!'

Joe Chief

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Great news PAPA!!
Isn't it odd that the bike magically appeared from just a little talk? :p
I really hope your nehpew can identify them and testify against them so they get what's coming to them.
Maybe, just maybe they were hired to take down the evil empire (of course little steps at a time by removing your dirtrider.net stickers ;)

anyways :aj: justice will prevail

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:| OMG! :) OMG Hope your nephew will be alright. As soon as he is well, you need to put your boot in his :moon: . Glad to hear you got the bike back. Give the officiers an "at-a-boy" for good measure. This is bad/GREAT news. :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
To the polices credit, they were really "on" this from the first time we called them. They searched a garage with one parents OK for us, and in the officers own words he "shook a few trees" after the trike was recovered. I believe that is what got the bike into the woods and not in someones garage for the night.
BSwift> Dave(my nephew) didn't sound too hot last night after his ride. I did call him back after he called me. Evidently, he stalled the bike on the way home, and when he stopped he toppled over on his bad leg:scream:. I am amazed by his determination. Even with his leg broken He wouldn't sit still. I tried to make him stop, but he wouldn't listen. Thankfully.

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Glad you got your bike back and its not too trashed. I have a set of DRN fender stickers here if you want them for the bike. Just say the word (PM ME)and their in the mail. Hate to see the old girl go naked up front! :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks TJ. I appreciate the offer.But, I've already got replacements for them. :)
I had a couple of extra sets.:aj:

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
When I started reading this I would not have guessed the happy ending . I am glad you got your property back with out too much damage .

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Wow. That's great that you got it back. When I first saw the post, bad things were running through my head (as usually, of course ;)). I'm glad you recovered it. :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow, glad the story has a happy ending. Your nephew sure had some guts to ride that bike out on a broken leg! Glad the bike was found. Definitely call the cops on those kids-- otherwise they'll be out doing it again sometime. :|

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Good to hear it Papa! I guess I can cancel my trip out to MD now since you already got it back!:D Nice to have your bike back home and tell your nephew to take care of that leg.
Elk

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Papa,
Glad to hear everything worked out. Your nephew is a brave soul not knowing what was in those woods, investigating anyway and having a broken leg on top of it all. Good man!

The feeling of having something stolen is sickening. :| I shared a similar experience with 3 bikes being stolen. In fact, reading your post earlier prompted one of my own: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43995

The joy of recovery is something isn't it? :) Glad you got to feel it! :D

To all the sorry, no good, thieving S.O.B.s out there :moon:

Scott

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
bscottr,
Similar maybe, but at least there wasn't any gun play involved in mine. :scream:
Glad you got your bikes back. Just watch your back. It sounds like your crooks are a bit more unstable than mine :ugg:

I can only hope that I get the chance to stand up before a judge and make their life miserable for a bit.

My nephew is something else. ain't he? :) He wasn't even in a cast yet, just a brace. I can't imagine the pain he was in.

Top Bottom