MickeyMike

Apr 5, 2005
I have 2 Vacation homes, 1 in St George and 1 By Zion in Laverkin Utah 2 to 3 hours from Vegas. I want to ride it there (CRF450X'5). Can I register and leave it there but bring it to California once in awhile? What States are these bikes legal to make street Legal?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That bike can be street legal here as well Mike, that's the joy of the "X" version. If it's registered in another state and has a plate, it can be used here as well. If you work, live or go to school here the fine state wants your money to go towards CA registration, unfortunately. It's been done and it seems to work fine.

B

bowhuntinbob

rm125 street leagal?

i live in ohio and have a 2001 rm125 and i need transportation. if i put lights and turn signals and all that jazz can i get it street leagal. its fast enough but dose the 2 stroke make a differance????

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
That bike can be street legal here as well Mike, that's the joy of the "X" version. .

Since this thread came out in '05, the laws have changed and the 250 and 450 X models cannot be licensed for the street in California.

bowhuntingbob.

You will have to go the your local DMV and ask them. The laws change drastically from state to state. In most states, two strokes can't be licensed for street use.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Seems as though the man is always trying to keep us down...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
Seems as though the man is always trying to keep us down...

Damn the man. :whoa: ;) :laugh:

Hey copper, are you lost? :rotfl:

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
We just had a family drive from Commifornia to pick up some TE450s because they said they (along with the new KTMs) are the only street legal bikes in Cali now? Is this true? They also drove the 1000 miles to get to our shop because our bikes were 2k cheaper each than any of the stores in California, so for them when they are buying 3 they saved some series money including gas money. Any reason for bikes being so expensive in California? I have no experience in that area...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
thebleakness said:
We just had a family drive from Commifornia to pick up some TE450s because they said they (along with the new KTMs) are the only street legal bikes in Cali now? Is this true? Any reason for bikes being so expensive in California? QUOTE]

To my knowledge the DRZ's, WR's, KTM's and any fourstroke, year 2002 and earlier are still dualsportable in Kalifornia. The reason they are more expensive is demand.

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
It is no longer possible to dual sport anything in CA that does not have a sticker that labels the bike as meeting on road emissions requirements. Basically none of the green sticker bikes have the required sticker.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XR250rdr said:
It is no longer possible to dual sport anything in CA that does not have a sticker that labels the bike as meeting on road emissions requirements. Basically none of the green sticker bikes have the required sticker.

I beg to differ with that.

There are still many off road models that can be licensed in California. I own a XR350R and a '02 CRF450R Honda that are both licensed for the street and have been for several years. The 2002 and older models have been granfathered in. I also ride with friends that own licensed DRZ's, WR's and KTM's. Unfortunately, they have taken the CRF250/450X models out of the mix for some reason.

Last edited:

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
Bikes that were converted prior to January 31, 2004 have been grandfathered in. Bikes without the now-required emissions sticker that were plated after that date have been done so illegally and have been subject to the DMV revoking some of those license plates. There were a bunch of loopholes but the DMV has been working on closing them.

Top Bottom