suggestions on 96 cr250r tips and tricks (mods)

slammins10

Aug 31, 2005
I have a stock 96 cr250r the only mod I know of that I am putting on it is the pro serious platinum pipe. what kind of arrestor should I get? also reed valves and other mods I should do? I will be racing the bike mx and probably never trail riding it if that helps. I am really new and new to the bike I got it about 2 weeks ago. I am just wondering what kind of mods and tips to keep the bike in tip top shape. anything and everything would help a lot.

Thanks for your time
Nick

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I'd strongly recomend focusing on tuning (i.e. jetting), maintance (top ends, tires, etc) and suspension before spending any money on aftermarket engine accesories. The bike, in well tuned stock condition makes more power than most any mx racer can really use, what will make you faster is having it run really crisp and clean (i.e. good jetting), having fresh, grippy tires well suited for the conditions and suspension that is custom valved for you weight and conditions. So, the list of things I'd recomend would go like this.

1. Jetting, get it right and keep it right as the conditions change.

2. Make sure all maintance items are in good shape (filter, oil, brake pads, chain and sprockets, top end etc)

3. Keep your tires fresh, this makes a huge difference.

4. Adjust your suspension, starting with the free adjustments like clicker settings, sag settings (start with 100mm of laden sag in the rear), and fork oil level. Then as you see fit consider having the forks and shock professionally valved and sprung for your weight and conditions.

5. Set up the chassie to work well for you. You can adjust the sag and fork height (in the tripple clamps) to make the bike turn more quickly or be more stable.

End result, if you do these things your bike will be much more capable than 99% of thoes on the track in most amature races with bad jetting, poorly set up suspension and shiny exhaust pipes.

good luck and have fun:)

Sep 2, 2005
Yeah try to keep the motor stock until you know that the motor is holding you back. Like said just make sure its tuned. Main thing dont rush out and drop money in bolt on parts. Aftermarket parts dont offer as much as the adds would like you to think they do..1000 bucks in aftermarket parts wont do half of what head and top end work can do for under 300 bucks... i remember back when people ran out and had to get these gold Fatty FMF pipes. so i ran out and got one too but with all the hype my PC pipe was still better hell the stock pipe on that 94 CR was crisper then the 200 doller Fmf. So now i run the stock pipe until i dent it Then i start looking for a replacement

slammins10

Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for all the great info the only work i was planning on doing is port and polish and jets plus pipes. then the only work that is going to be done is suspension tuning. :aj:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Yea suspenion and a good setup like bars/tires good chain sprockets a glide plate and frame gaurds wouldn't be a bad idea either at least a glide plate. But most important is just make sure the bike is fresh like top end/clean fliter greased bearings that aren't toasted out have the suspenion at least rebuilt pretty much put it back to like new type of condition aka "making the bike tight again" and of course for mx numbers! :) otherwise thats all you'll need to start ripping it around the track.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom