teaching ebonics at school

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
teaching ebonics in school

My wife teaches in this district. I was floored when she told me about this. They dont even have enough esl teachers and now they want to start this program.

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2969790,00.html

Ebonics suggested for district

By Irma Lemus Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO Incorporating Ebonics into a new school policy that targets black students, the lowest-achieving group in the San Bernardino City Unified School District, may provide students a more well-rounded curriculum, said a local sociologist.

The goal of the district's policy is to improve black students' academic performance by keeping them interested in school. Compared with other racial groups in the district, black students go to college the least and have the most dropouts and suspensions.

Blacks make up the second largest racial group in the district, trailing Latinos.

A pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, commended the San Bernardino Board of Education for approving the policy in June.

Texeira suggested that including Ebonics in the program would be beneficial for students. Ebonics, a dialect of American English that is spoken by many blacks throughout the country, was recognized as a separate language in 1996 by the Oakland school board.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

Texeira said research has shown that students learn better when they fully comprehend the language they are being taught in.

"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said.

Len Cooper, who is coordinating the pilot program at the two city schools, said San Bernardino district officials do not plan to incorporate Ebonics into the program.

"Because Ebonics can have a negative stigma, we're not focusing on that,' Cooper said. "We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books (for students).'

Beginning in the 2005-06 school year, teachers will receive training on black culture and customs. District curriculum will now include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society. Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate.

The pilot program at Rio Vista Elementary and King Middle schools focuses on second-, fourth- and seventh-grade classes. District officials hope to train teachers from other schools using the program as a model.

Board member Danny Tillman, who pushed for the policy, said that full implementation of the program at all schools may take years, but the pilot program is a beginning.

"At every step we will see positive results,' Tillman said.

Tillman hoped the new policy would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

Teresa Parra, board vice president, said she worried the new program would have an adverse effect.

"I'm afraid that now that we have this the Hispanic community, our largest population, will say, 'We want something for us.' Next we'll have the Asian community and the Jewish community (asking for their own programs). When will it end?'

Parra said the district should focus on helping all students who are at risk.

"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race,' Parra said.

Tillman disagreed with Parra, saying programs that help Latinos already exist in the district. He cited the district's English- as-a-second-language program.

Texeira urged people not be quick to judge the new program as socially exclusive. She said people need to be open to the program.

"Everybody has prejudices, but we must all learn to control that behavior,' Texeira said. She said a child's self confidence is tied to his or her cultural identity.

She compared the low performance of black students to starvation. "How can you be angry when you feed a family of starving children?'

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of the Westside Action Group, a coalition of black activists, said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing,' Jacocks said.

Jacocks said he didn't believe the new policy would create animosity. He said he welcomed the idea of other ethnic groups pushing for their own programs.

"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movements.'

Last edited:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race,"

And that's what counts. Not to mention I don't think Oakland has any say in what is and is not a "Dialect of American English"

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
JWW said:
targets black students, the lowest-achieving group in the San Bernardino City Unified School District

I guess some people are intent on keeping things that way.

If I were a parent in San Bernardino, I would move.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
This is so typical with the Cali Libs, lowering the bar vs raising it.

What business would ever hire someone that only speaks and writes ebonics educated or not?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
What's next - Chineseonics? :coocoo:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well if they can teach Ebonics in California, than I vote for teaching Rhode Islandese here in the Northeast. I've got a Rhode Island Dictionary and a Rhode Island Handbook, we could teach it very well.

For example: A woman is in the mechanic shop in Rhode Island having her car looked at and the mechanic tells her "Well, lady, it's either your cobbarayta or your spock plugs"

(Translation): Well, lady, it's either your carburetor or your spark plugs.

There are many, many more examples where that came from. But, I will say that a regional dialect/accent is something totally different than a type of slang "loosely" based upon the English language. They don't teach you to say "Pahk the cah" in school here, it's just a dialect you pick up over the years.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
PERHAPS the idea of teaching ebonics in school is backed by good intentions.

Nevertheless, it is a monumentally stupid idea.

Public education in California's inner cities is so bad, it's criminal. I'll bet the average cost for student greatly exceeds the budget per student for almost all of the private schools in the state. Instead of teaching ebonics, the public schools should examine why private schools in the same area are much better academically for far less $ per student.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Nevertheless, it is a monumentally stupid idea.
No joke. Spending money they don't have to teach a language that student's (black or white) already know? Ebonics is an accent, not a language.
It's like being Japanese and moving to america to study Asian culture.

Ryan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said.
sounds to me like they're the smart ones.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe they should also switch all sports programs in the district to the "Everybody Wins" format? Looks like there's plenty of stupidity going around the school district outside of the class rooms too. :|

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
good intentions.

I know of a road that's paved with them. :nod:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Geez, I thought the whole idea behind educating our young citizens was to prepare them to work and survive in the world. It would seem to me that we would want them to become proficient in the language that is used in the work place. I don’t know about the rest of the country but where I make my living, we don’t speak “ebonics”, we speak and write English. As a matter of fact, we won’t hire anyone who does not speak, read, and write in English.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
yo, bus dis...

some young people are surrounded by two different groups; those who speak "proper" and those who speak in ebonics. While their english may not be perfect, they are able to use decent english in class, at a job interview, etc. but revert back to ebonics when around their "homies".

so yes, what a great idea-let's just give up and actively work to surround these students with improper english so they feel more comfortable.

poor english is becoming more acceptable. Companies are supposed to be equal opp employers, but common sense tells us that depending on what the position entails, there are judgements made.

"aksing kestions", "I seen that", "they was", "you was", etc.
No matter how smart you are, it just leaves a negative impression.Talking this way is definitely not limited to blacks, by the way.

another pet peeve of mine...
sitting = si'in
getting = ge'in
hitting = hi'in

for some reason, kids have decided they can just skip pronounciation of several of the letters near the middle or end of the word, why i'm not sure.

oh, and I almost fogot...sheeeeeeeit!

Last edited:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Let me AXX dis one.
Should they start teaching how to pimp hos, sell crack, throw dice and drink liquor on the corner at 9am in the Buisness 101 classes as well.
This is such a joke and I agree that it would only come from the Cali state.
I'll keep it at that .

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
This is purely political. Very little of Ebonics is based on a solid, common foundation, and as a result is a Pidgin language with constantly refreshing vernacular...
What? What? Don't be playin' me playa. Fo' shizzle?

Fo' shizzle, my nizzle. If you're lonely tonight or feel the burning need to ask which premix is the best, go look up the difference between a Creole language, a Pidgin language, and how Reflexification relates to Pidgin.

A clearer example would be one person speaking the "Ebonics" practiced by M.C. Hammer in the 80's having a conversation with Snoop Dogg:
Hammer: "Man, that was one dope concert...did you see all them fly girls? I gots ta Chill G"
Snoop: "Kewl the vernizzacular, dawg. The dubble G izz in da house, and I'm down with the gin and juice."
Detonator: Hey...you guys like KTM's? (hums "Can't Touch This" while performing the Quebec version of "the running man." Then breaks into an actual run while pursued by two angry recording artists.)

The vocabulary has refreshed so much that even basic conversation is hard only 20 years later. That's not a language...that's slang. Slang is fun, hip, fresh, infectious...and goes out of style faster than an Olsen Twins lunch kit. I so regret that particular purchase...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hitler's idea of cleansing the earth of the Jews was also backed by good intentions. Good intentions for the Nazi's.

There's not much that goes on in this world that ISN'T done "with good intentions". The only question reamining is; who is it good for?

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
I remember when Oakland announced that they recognized it as a language in '96, I lived next door Alameda. It was also funny when (I can't remember if it was the state or the feds) stepped in and told them if they included it in their cirriculum, they were going to start revoking funding for the school district. Yet another reason I left there and moved my family out of Kalifornia.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I just can't seem to grasp the concept of why the world is aiming to make it's future dimmer. Between this thread and the one about not failing students...I can't make heads or tails of the school system in this country anymore. Does the school system exist to educate our children, or does it exist to make our children feel good about themselves and their surroundings, regardless of the fact that the fate of our country is at stake!

This is just one more reason for me to add to my book "975 Reasons to Not Have Children". I wouldn't want a child to be brought into this world only to be taught that he/she can never fail and that speaking ebonics instead of proper English is ok.

:pissed:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
JWW said:
My wife teaches in this district. I was floored when she told me about this.

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

For some reason, I'm not suprised. :|

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
squeaky said:
This is just one more reason for me to add to my book "975 Reasons to Not Have Children". I wouldn't want a child to be brought into this world only to be taught that he/she can never fail and that speaking ebonics instead of proper English is ok.

Squeaky, you could alwasy home school

Top Bottom