teaching ebonics at school

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
squeaky said:
I just can't seem to grasp the concept of why the world is aiming to make it's future dimmer. Between this thread and the one about not failing students...I can't make heads or tails of the school system in this country anymore. Does the school system exist to educate our children, or does it exist to make our children feel good about themselves and their surroundings, regardless of the fact that the fate of our country is at stake!

This is just one more reason for me to add to my book "975 Reasons to Not Have Children". I wouldn't want a child to be brought into this world only to be taught that he/she can never fail and that speaking ebonics instead of proper English is ok.

:pissed:

the public school system is a huge social experiment (anybody recall the ritalin lines in public scools during hte 90's), errr program that has truly run its course. In KC, Mo the graduation rate of the KC school district is 47%!!

Our kids go to private school, the cirriculum still emphasizes learning and achievement. Heck our kids both were doing basic algebra during 1st grade, learning about philosophy, the great composers by 3rd, plus they still know and recite the Pledge of Alligance. I'll do home schooling before public school...I will not allow these three kids to be "dumbed down" via lower standardized acceptable testing just to keep the fed and state $$$ flowing.

Don't be afraid to have kids, any generation before you had the same fears but as long as you vow to be a courageous parent and settle for nothign but what is in the best interest for your kids (not always what they want mind you), they should be fine

Jul 20, 2005
Ebonics is a dimming heritage issue. The biking community has their own, "Loud pipes saves lives." Hmmm? Social experiment?

There is a saying, "There is a little good in all evil..." Some folks feel "intent" to preserve the past takes precedence over building a better future.

Here in Ca. we invest billions teaching International Travelers kids to learn English as a Second Language. (ESL) However, my 14th generation, English speaking native son may not be eligable to participate in a second language ciriculum by the district till 2011.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Parents...instead of despairing about the system, take some action in your own homes so that your kids aren't the guinea pigs in some illogical social experiment.

The action is this: make sure your children are reading. Not MXA and Dirt Rider, but real books that are well written and entertaining. Go back to the classics. Hardy Boys, Tom Sawyer, Nancy Drew, and Reader's Digest articles are a few examples.

There is a very strong correlation between those who read voraciously and those who write well. There is a high degree of osmosis in richness (and accuracy) of vocabulary, sentence structure, sense of dialogue, and narrative skill that comes only from the process of reading. The rules of language (spelling, for one) are learned in a wholistic way, not by dissecting parts of paragraphs and studying them in isolation. Reading ties all the parts of language and literacy together, and your kids will develop a very accurate sense of "this looks wrong" when it comes to the mechanics of language.

Reward your kids for reading, whether it's cash, privileges, encouragement...whatever works. And guess HOW you're going to get them started? By being a strong example. Go to the library with them, and pick up books that interest you. Set up a couple of hours a week where everyone (yes...even you) picks up a book and reads in the same room. If an 8 p.m. TV show is the reward, read from 6:30 to 8:00, and not even homework assignments are allowed to interfere. Then break out the greasy snack food and enjoy the TV.

Even if this would be a highly unusual move in your family rhythym, do it. Endure the grumbling and resistance...especially your own. Make it a habit. And guess what will happen? You'll learn to enjoy it. Grades will improve in the social sciences, math word problems, second languages, and most noticeably English class.

I challenge you to do it for 6 weeks...grab the calendar tonight, circle 2 nights a week for the next 6 weeks, and those become mandatory reading time. Make night 1 the library visit, or digging through your own books and carefully selecting some reading...everybody gets 5 books. Tape TV shows if necessary, definitely disable the phones, and ignore the front door. If the kids rebel, zip up your pants and lay down the law...make the alternative painful.

I don't know a lot about port timing on a 2 stroke, but I know this stuff well. Oh...and have fun!

Will

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Detonator said:
Parents...instead of despairing about the system, take some action in your own homes so that your kids aren't the guinea pigs in some illogical social experiment.

The action is this: make sure your children are reading. Not MXA and Dirt Rider, but real books that are well written and entertaining. Go back to the classics. Hardy Boys, Tom Sawyer, Nancy Drew, and Reader's Digest articles are a few examples.

There is a very strong correlation between those who read voraciously and those who write well. There is a high degree of osmosis in richness (and accuracy) of vocabulary, sentence structure, sense of dialogue, and narrative skill that comes only from the process of reading. The rules of language (spelling, for one) are learned in a wholistic way, not by dissecting parts of paragraphs and studying them in isolation. Reading ties all the parts of language and literacy together, and your kids will develop a very accurate sense of "this looks wrong" when it comes to the mechanics of language.

Reward your kids for reading, whether it's cash, privileges, encouragement...whatever works. And guess HOW you're going to get them started? By being a strong example. Go to the library with them, and pick up books that interest you. Set up a couple of hours a week where everyone (yes...even you) picks up a book and reads in the same room. If an 8 p.m. TV show is the reward, read from 6:30 to 8:00, and not even homework assignments are allowed to interfere. Then break out the greasy snack food and enjoy the TV.

Even if this would be a highly unusual move in your family rhythym, do it. Endure the grumbling and resistance...especially your own. Make it a habit. And guess what will happen? You'll learn to enjoy it. Grades will improve in the social sciences, math word problems, second languages, and most noticeably English class.

I challenge you to do it for 6 weeks...grab the calendar tonight, circle 2 nights a week for the next 6 weeks, and those become mandatory reading time. Make night 1 the library visit, or digging through your own books and carefully selecting some reading...everybody gets 5 books. Tape TV shows if necessary, definitely disable the phones, and ignore the front door. If the kids rebel, zip up your pants and lay down the law...make the alternative painful.

I don't know a lot about port timing on a 2 stroke, but I know this stuff well. Oh...and have fun!

Will
Well said, well written, good common sense by example.:cool:

Camaro

Feb 25, 2002
Very impressive Detonator,

It's too bad more people don't share the same incite. I have a cousin who is in the 4th grade and they no longer have the "special ed class" containing a few who struggle but an entire second class for delayed readers. In other schools they have a "No kid left behind" program that rather than putting the slower kids in a remedial class they put everyone on hold so nobody gets a decent education. To make things better I've noticed most schools no longer teach phonics but reading by memory instead is the standard.

The problem seems to me if you've never seen a word written and have yet to hear it how can you memorize it if you can't sound it out yourself??? :think: :think: :think:

Top Bottom